Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Things that are unavailable or stupidly expensive
  • bearnecessities

It’s all gone a bit weird lately, can’t pretend I know why (apart from a combination of the usual things over the last 18 months) but my random contributions are:

Builders: Yeah, not available at all. Too busy and not even taking on work.
    S/H cars: silly increase in prices.
    Carpet: Yup, that’s up 30% ish from last year
    Shops: Loads of bare shelves. Was in Wilko the other day and their kitchen utensils bit looked like it had been robbed by Oceans 11.
    Wildflower turf: Sold out everywhere due to unprecedented demand!
    Kitchens: DIY Kitchens are in such a pickle they will only sell you the kitchen and not the oven/fridge/washing machine as they can’t guarantee supply.
    Skips: My go-to skip place, that has been chilled about how long you have it, for years, is now on a strict 3 days for 4yrd and 7day for 8yrd terms.
    Houses: LOL

The only thing that’s gone down is a McDonald’s coffee, which is now 99p nationwide 🙂

Cougar

Graphics cards.

Next-gen games consoles.

sillysilly
    Free Member

GX and GRX Groupsets.

ElShalimo

Rear derailleurs – apparently they’re on a big boat and not due until Sept/Oct

benjamins11
    Free Member

Canadian Canoes – rocking horse poo esque

tomhoward

Trickstuff brakes.

Limited edition black ones came into stock on Friday at 1700. Sold out by 1704. (€850-€990 a pair, dependant on model).

Normal lead time 16-18 months.

matt_outandabout

Canadian Canoes – rocking horse poo esque

I’m smugly looking at three in the back yard currently. 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Women

Mister-P
    Free Member

Coke and hookers are still available and surprisingly good value.

maccruiskeen

Builders

wouldn’t matter if they were available – there’s no wood, plaster, concrete or paint.

BillMC

Copies of sculptures. I would love a Giacometti. No chance.

Houns

ATV’s apparently. Grrr

jambourgie
    Free Member

Coke and hookers are still available and surprisingly good value.

Two things that are definitely not worth skimping on quality…

Anyway, kayak stuff. I want a footboard and a buoyancy aid. None to be had. I’m blaming the mania de jour of SUP’s for the latter.

sharkattack

Guitars. Every Squier of every model and colour has been out of stock on the website for months. (not interested in shops as I can’t use my discount)

I was hoping it would be easy to sell my van. It’s on ebay and all I’ve had so far is stupid questions and one ‘buy it now’ from someone who claimed to be laid up in a hospital bed and had never even seen my advert.

DrJ

Swiffers

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’m blaming the mania de jour of SUP’s for the latter.

Carbon SUP paddles are also in short supply.

Gulfstream surfboards are currently taking orders for November shaping.

Looks like I’ll be sticking with my old toys for a while.

fooman

After problems getting bog roll last year I’m glad I decided to hoard GX
    gx

fettlin

Patio furniture.

All the pubs and cafes and such have been raiding the local diy sheds and bought all the furniture for ‘dining’  outdoors.

simon_g

Hario coffee filters. Double what I used to pay, if I can get them at all.

singletrackmind

Latex gloves
    FixScrew doubled in price
    Local motor factors had some at 3x pre covid priced

akira

Giacometti sculpture would be nice.

didnthurt

I think a good bit of the short fall is from people spending the money – they’d normally spend on holidays – on home and garden improvements.

Obviously you can add the reduced production due to Covid.

Add pinion gearbox hardtail mtb framesets 😔

winston
    Free Member

Calor gas is hard to find right now.

For those moaning about not being able to get Opens or BAs….our paddlesport shop normally has around 150 Sots, sups, kayaks and opens in it. Right now we have 6 (no opens). If you are a 50 inch chest we have a BA for you.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Trucks, the big ones not the 4×4 ones. All the dealers I know have pretty much sold everything they can get their hands in from the factory all the second hand trucks are going for a premium. All the new stuff is pretty late too. Compound that if you want anything added on to your truck like lifting gear or skip loader.

And Campervans. People I know who bought in the last few years are getting silly high offers from the dealerships they bought off.

LAP13
    Free Member

@jambourgie try Escape Watersports, apparently had a load of Palm BAs in today

maccruiskeen

Obviously you can add the reduced production due to Covid.

Well a number of things really – timber shortages are part increased demand, part covid and Brexit trade issues but also a bad (for timber harvesting) winter in Scandinavia. Similarly other shortages are fuelled by the severe winter in Texas which knocked out certain key refineries and factories that supplies raw ingredients for all sorts of plastics, paints, adhesives, fertilisers and so on – theres not a lot you can buy that doesn’t have some sort polymer – paint, print, ink, glue, solvent, plastic or whatever-  involved in its production or supply chain

I did however see white dog shit a few days ago – I mean properly, surprisingly  really white. So, you know, swings and roundabouts.

jambourgie
    Free Member

try Escape Watersports, apparently had a load of Palm BAs in today

Thanks!

matt_outandabout

Houses.

funkmasterp

Agree with houses. We need to move from a two to a three bedroom house in the next couple of years and I genuinely can’t see how. The leap in price is ridiculous and even the ones that are just out of budget are smaller than our two bed and in dicey areas. Reckon Mrs F and I will be crashing downstairs on a sofa bed with a wardrobe cunningly disguised as a cupboard.

grum
    Free Member

Apparently certain HDs are getting scarce at least partly due to a new cryptocurrency that uses HD space (similar to how bitcoin uses graphics card processing).

Caher

Boardman 9.4 SLR. Wanted an out and out road bike and it was gone in about a week. I expect it’ll turn up on eBay with a significant mark-up.

MoreCashThanDash

I did however see white dog shit a few days ago – I mean properly, surprisingly really white. So, you know, swings and roundabouts.

There’s your Brexit dividend, bloody remoaners!

alanl
    Free Member

Anyway, kayak stuff. I want a footboard and a buoyancy aid. None to be had. I’m blaming the mania de jour of SUP’s for the latter.

What sort?
    We’ve got one of each here that could be sold. Footplate from some Pyranha AFAIAA, I think its a Palm BA, around 5 years old, still floats.
    We were in Desperate Measures in Nottingham last week, they have loads of BA’s in stock new.

andrewh
    Free Member

Anything I need to buy is going up (diesel, food) Anything I need to sell is going down and I cant shift (hub geared commuter bikes, polytunnels)

dovebiker

So glad the house we’re having built is nearly finished, but we’ve had quite a few delays all the way through – timber, windows. The latest is roofing for the garage. There’s also a big shortage of skilled building labour – everyone’s busy and a lot of the Europeans have gone home. Good luck to anyone planning a big project this year, because it might be a long wait.

Also spent the evening in a futile search for new sofas for the house – Ikea have very limited stock, some people are offering 14-16 weeks delivery.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Shimano “reverse” shoe buckes. The ones where the buckle is on the strap and the toothed strip is on the shoe.

In stock nowhere at the already high from if about £30.

One place has them at £70 😮

stwhannah

Obviously of major concern, but Lidl has no wraps. Those wheat tortilla things useful for pretending you’ve made a decent packed lunch or tea with very few ingredients. None. I’ve been to 3 Lidls. Luckily Asda seems to have bypassed the wrap blockade. Close call.

Rich_s

PS5.

dyna-ti

Rear derailleurs – apparently they’re on a big boat and not due until Sept/Oct

Apparently the big boat has been impounded because of the money or lost revenue racked up while it was blocking the canal.
    I did hear though that the owners were looking for some way to offload the cargo onto other ships in order to get around paying their incurred costs

RustySpanner

Greenhouses.
    We ordered ours a couple of months ago – due September/October.

Guitars are starting to come through slowly, as are RC cars, so it’s not all bad….🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Things that are unavailable or stupidly expensive’ is closed to new replies.