Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Things going off
  • v8ninety

Milk. It always used to go off pretty much bang on the date, but these days, it often lasts loads past the date. I’ve just cracked open a 4 pinter that’s been sealed in my fridge for a week and a half that apparently went OOD on the 3/5, but my nose says it’s fine.

Sliced bread however, always conveniently spotting off mold on or just after the deadline. Used to be that bread went stale, not any more, always moody first, unless you buy fresh baked bread. Almost as if it was seeded with mold spores at the factory… Where’s Jive when you need him? Makes you think.

senorj

🙂
    It’s the vapour trails.

scotroutes

I thought bread had fewer/no preservatives these days. Warmer living conditions probably encourage mould too.

And doesn’t semi-skimmed last longer than full fat?

maccruiskeen

Hummous used to go fizzy within about 24hrs of being opened. Now its pretty much indestructible.

always moody first

Maybe its hormones

Scapegoat

Niche salad leaves. I wanted to try some so I bought a bag of rocket. That went off before I tasted it.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

You’ve got to be quick to catch rocket . . .

ste_t
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve ever heard rocket called ‘niche’ before

ste_t
    Free Member

I wish bread did go stale. Nothing more annoying that making a fryup and finding furry blue bits on your toast*

*apart from war/famine/genocide/etc. But none of those have such an impact on my enjoyment of bacon.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, milk’s much cheaper and yet lasts much longer, how many products can you say that about?

Scapegoat

Ste_t, right so. I expect you’ll be tucking into a baby bistro salad as we speak, the type with the shredded raw beet? It ain’t iceberg is it.

ste_t
    Free Member

I did have some watercress to make the plate look pretty for my ribeye – does that count?

Currently having an Old Crafty Hen, quite a leftfield choice as a dessert

spooky_b329

The sniff test isn’t reliable anymore, it can go off but you can only tell when it curdles in your tea 🙁

Bread, I found the opposite, in my old flat (or perhaps it was the bread bin) it would go mouldy all the time, now I just park the loaf on the open end to avoid it going stale, it lasts for ages past the date…

nickc

milk gets from farm to plastic bottle faster than it ever has done, literally hours.

sliced white is mostly just sugar and fat, practically a petri-dish in toastable form…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Things going off’ is closed to new replies.