Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The various Giant FS bikes.
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Maybe it requires me to look at each model more closely, but I reckon it’s quicker to ask here…can someone summarise their FS bikes, Anthem, Trance, Reign, Advanced models of each, X, SX – it’s not the clearest what is what (although not as bad as the Kona Process page!)

enigmas
    Free Member

By category:
    Anthem: XC
    Trance: Trail
    Reign: ‘enduro’
    Glory: Downhill

The SX tag means the frame is the same but the components are more downhill orientated, eg on the trance sx it gets a pike and monarch plus.

Advanced is just giants term for a carbon frame

thegreatape
    Free Member

Splendid, thanks very much

thegreatape
    Free Member

So the Anthem frame only could be built up to either the regular or SX geometry depending on what fork you stuck on?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep. The SX versions tend to have;
    Bigger fork
    Wider bars
    Shorter stem
    Phatter front tyre
    Added gnar

iainc

I recently got an Anthem SX and with 120mm front and 100 rear its a great combination for natural tecky stuff yet still a good climber.

thegreatape
    Free Member

CFH and iainc – do you think it would suit what Im looking for here

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/first-fs-ponderings

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yes. Yes it would.

The Anthem SX is one of the most capable bikes out there. Could happily race mid-field XC on it with the right rider, and then in the right hands could probably take on some enduro-gnar as well. Not a race bike, really. Not overbiked for “everyday” riding, nor is it underbiked for teh gnar!

Very much a bike for just going out and riding. Which is excellent.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Added to the list then.

iainc

Just read your other post. I ride similar stuff (based in Glasgow) and for last few yrs have done it all on a Soul. I used to have a 5 but often felt it a bit much, especially on climbs. At age 49 I wanted a bit more comfort for bigger days but no compromise on weight and climbing ability. So far the Anthem SX ticks all the boxes.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Anthem sx would be perfect with the right wheels. So buy a camber evo 29 instead. 2015 colours much better too.

(From a giant fan bar 650b)

thegreatape
    Free Member

Too much choice 🙂

iainc

thegreatape – there are a few Anthem SX’s in the shops, Dales have a L one I know 🙂

Kryton57

Re Spec vs Giant

Spec is a 4 bar suspension system, so assume soft floaty suspension with a fair amount of movement. Giant’s Maestro is a VPP system, and one of the best so assume a good pedaling platform with little movement from the pedals but excellent efficiency on climbs.

Each to their own on preference, I prefer the latter personally and if you enter a couple of events you probably should choose the SX.

iainc

Giant’s Maestro is a VPP system, and one of the best so assume a good pedaling platform with little movement from the pedals but excellent efficiency on climbs

My previous FS was a 5, so very different, but I am amazed by how well the Giant climbs. I rarely use the Climb mode on the CTD, only really on fireroads. It spends most of it’s life in Trail setting as my riding is generally natural up and down tecky stuff. I did however take it to Glentress the other week and used the Descend settings on the red down and found it great, seemed to have a lot more than 100mm travel on the back and fork o ring was about 10mm from crown by the bottom of the route 🙂

devash
    Free Member

Spec is a 4 bar suspension system, so assume soft floaty suspension with a fair amount of movement. Giant’s Maestro is a VPP system, and one of the best so assume a good pedaling platform with little movement from the pedals but excellent efficiency on climbs.

I’m not a Specialized fanboy but a newer Specialized horst link bike with a platform shock and correct air pressure for the rider’s weight shouldn’t feel soft and floaty, nor should display “a fair amount of movement” when pedalling or climbing.

The older FSR designs may have had these characteristics (which is why many older Specs had the Brain shock) but they’ve really got the suspension dialled on the newer ones.

wrecker
    Free Member

Gotta be honest, the camber is one of the only bikes I’d never ride again. I hated the thing.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘The various Giant FS bikes.’ is closed to new replies.