• This topic has 75 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by JCL.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • the URT is back
  • kimbers

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Pinion-Gearbox-Production-Version-Eurobike-2012.html

so gearbox and belt drive sounds great to me

but the full bouncer needs a URT, they were getting a slagging in MBI and MBUK as i got into biking and the 4bar/fsr was king

could they be made to work with new fangled shock technology?

JCL
    Free Member

No.

charliedontsurf

They have dug up a failed idea so their belt drive will work.
    Those urts would pogo like mad when sitting, and lock up when you get out of the saddle.
    You sit down when it smooth, but the sus goes mental
    Stand up for the rough bits, and the sus took a tea break.
    It solved a sprinting bob problem, but destroying every other design objective…. A bit like this new bike.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

No.

mrflaky
    Free Member

Think I have a Gary Fisher Joshua X frame in the shed from the late 90’s if anyone wants to truly experience the sheer madness and misery of a URT bike…..actually not sure I would wish that on anyone!

julianwilson
    Free Member
    Jim-bob
    Free Member

Plenty of URT based frames being ridden on the pavements around here so they must do something right 😉

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Pinion need to shuffle the gearbox around a bit. The pivot needs to be concentric with the final drive to allow a belt to be used, so ideally, wouldn’t be concentric with the cranks. Can’t be too hard to do.

have I mentioned I’ve got a belt-drive full sus bike? 😉
    albeit with only 1 gear…

glenh
    Free Member

URTs never went away did they? GT idrive….

IHN

iDrive isn’t/wasn’t URT.

D0NK

Mike wotshisname ferrantino? did a piece about his old URT bike (Y bike iirc) was going to do a comparison about how much better bikes are now but loved riding the old URT again.

never ridden one myself, couldn’t scrape together the cash for the x2 I lusted after 🙁

Guess belt drive FS will need a BB pivot a la irbandito’s kona, think cove used to do one aswell.

thepodge
    Free Member

The best way to stop people adopting the pinion is to stick it on a poorly designed frame.

I’d love to see how wide a frame would need to be to accommodate a pinion and a bb pivot

jackthedog
    Free Member

Unless this shock technology of which you speak is new fangled enough to get a job and earn enough money to buy itself a new frame to be bolted to, I doubt it.

aracer
    Free Member

Plenty of URT based frames being ridden on the pavements around here so they must do something right

Yeah – they bounce up and down in the shop (and when being ridden along the road), hence making the buyers/owners think they work really well.

PTR
    Free Member

If the weight of the gear box and the rider is on the swing arm, does the swing arm move, or does the front triangle move in relation to the swing arm.

cookeaa

I don’t think theres anything that terrible about a URT, its one of several ways to do suspension which comes with inherent constraints, compromises and some benefits, the majority have written it off out od hand based on shonky 90s execution of the concept, but it does have some merit for certain applications still.

But I Can’t see why they didn’t just produce a HT to demonstrate the use of a Pinion Gearbox and a belt drive…

There seems to be a bit of an obsession with Gearboxes only really being used in pricey Blingy FS bikes, I know theres been a couple Nicolai HTs done but it seems its always touted as a bells and whistles thing, fancy springs and a posh Gear box for Muchos ££££.

I can’t see much wider adoption of the solution while its still targeted squarely at higher price point niche whores and not normal MTBers living with bugetary constraints, mounted on a URT bike or not.

thepodge
    Free Member

Bit no one is going to say “I like this budget, sub £500 bike but what it’s really missing is £1000+ of gearbox”

You can’t just make things cheaper

ChrisL

I’d love to see how wide a frame would need to be to accommodate a pinion and a bb pivot

Alternatively, you could make a linkage system where the virtual pivot point was located at the BB. I recall that a company called Edge had a frame with such a suspension system a few years back, but they weren’t very successful and didn’t last more than a couple of years or so.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about something very similar for a while now.

thepodge
    Free Member

Ir, mail me. One of the edge guys is a friend of a friend, I knew he once ran a bike co but didn’t realise they did this kind of thing. I shall be trying to get hold of them forthwith.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

ygm Podge

andyl
    Free Member

when I got into biking I always wondered why FS bikes didn’t have the pivot and BB concentric. Have often penned quite an elegant solution to do it that way. One day I will build one out of carbon.

Northwind

Idrive isn’t a URT, it’s more a sort of very complicated single pivot, with the BB hung off the bottom between the two.

brakes
    Free Member

if you like to sit down ALL the time then URT works.
    However, if you don’t and actually like riding your bike, then it fails to work when you most need it – stood up.
    I persevered for a couple of years with a Mongoose with the Freedrive system which is kind of semi-URT but ultimately threw it in a skip because it was frustratingly rubbish.

thepodge
    Free Member

Is the Maverick a similar design to the idrive?

Also if memory serves me right Pace once did a bb pivot frame but it never made it past prototype.

Some people really don’t like bb pivot bikes, I however live mine

glenh
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Idrive isn’t a URT, it’s more a sort of very complicated single pivot, with the BB hung off the bottom between the two.

I would say it’s a sort of very complicated URT.
    Note how the BB moves up and down with the swingarm (and therefore doesn’t when you are standing on it):

brant
    Free Member

when I got into biking I always wondered why FS bikes didn’t have the pivot and BB concentric.

If you ride one, you’ll find out why.

It’s to do with Squat/Anti Squat characteristics.

Northwind

glenh – Member

I would say it’s a sort of very complicated URT.

Well.. OK, you can say that if you like, but it’d be wrong- it doesn’t have the features that make an URT, an URT (ie, the unifiedness)

andyl
    Free Member

If you ride one, you’ll find out why.

It’s to do with Squat/Anti Squat characteristics.

Trying to remember back to my car suspension stuff and see if it relates but now my head hurts.

Are there any good books about bike suspension design like you get for cars?

PS just reminded me, did anyone from On One see my offer on the pulled thread about the cracked yellow you know what? Would be interesting to take a look if there is some doubt over crack or not.

thepodge
    Free Member

I think the closest you’ll get is a motorbike suspension design book

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Found this too:

http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/~mdv/courses/CM30082/projects.bho/2005-6/weldon_dm_dissertation_2005-06.pdf

Except it contains this:

To gauge people’s preferences for suspension design, a thread was started on a well respected internet forum called BIKEMagic

oops

GW
    Free Member

sit down ALL the time then URT works works.

or stand ALL the time.

Works better if you only do one or the other with concentric bb pivot bikes too.

andyl
    Free Member

First book looks interesting, as long as it’s not written by a psychologist 😉

Had a quick scan through that thesis – hmm….

I’ll have to dog out the Catia DVD and have a play.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Idrive isn’t a URT, it’s more a sort of very complicated single pivot, with the BB hung off the bottom between the two way of packaging a turd.

FTFY. 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

70 quid for that book. You can buy a bike for that

superfli
    Free Member

URT will never work as FS as you are not suspended from the rear wheel! The BB is attached to the rear triangle and rear wheel, therefore if you are standing on the pedals, you are in effect, standing on the rear wheel ie, not suspended. If you are sitting, then you weight is on the saddle and front triangle which is suspended.

I had an Orange X2 frame as my first FS, and it was a load of sh*te! Only bought it to get into FS, and regretted it within 1 ride (not to mention the extremely poor bearings/bushing and slack backend).

ir_bandito
    Free Member

TBH I don’t think its fair to slag off URT designs. At the time, they were conceived as a good idea when no-one really knew where full-suspension designs were going. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Aidy
    Free Member

when I got into biking I always wondered why FS bikes didn’t have the pivot and BB concentric.

Like a Kona A?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘the URT is back’ is closed to new replies.