Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Where do you start with this one?
  • honourablegeorge

thedon
    Free Member

OMG

donsimon
    Free Member

Looks fine.

thedon
    Free Member

I’m at a total loss at to how that rear suspension works.

choron
    Free Member

Got any details about this? Looks like the change in FC under compression would be enormous.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Put an Orange sticker on it and you’d flog loads of ’em… 😉

mjsmke

Its like a siglespeed bmx xc trail type thing. Im going to call it SSBXCTRAIL.

Rickos
    Free Member

I like that! What is it?

Drac

Hahaha nice one Tee.

honourablegeorge

Sorry, meant to include the link.

It’s a 6″ travel steel singlespeed. I can’t get past the stem myself.

Interview: Richard Sheppard of Ram Bikes

legend
    Free Member

VPP meets URT – what’s not to like??

lazybike
    Free Member

Its clean…

sputnik
    Free Member

That bike needs a lefty to complete the look.

beanieripper
    Free Member

words cannot describe..must ride like a bag of noodles…

patriotpro
    Free Member

Reminds me of a Cane Creek Thudbuster.

brakes
    Free Member

URT is a very lame/ easy solution to the issues of full suspension and single speed. weird parallel linkage to compensate for the fact that mountain biking involves wanting suspension to work when you’re stood up which URT doesn’t. must be flexy as hell.
    interesting to hear how it rides though.

smiff
    Free Member

yeah looks like a type of URT, which means it doesn’t work if you’re on the pedals..

edit: guy above posted same thing.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Holy poop.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Looks cool, ‘pivot’ behind the BB initially so that’s the usual URT un-reponsiveness nulled, then around the BB in the mid stroke to make it pedal reasonably well, then right foreward at the end to make it stiff.

Reading the interview it sounds like there’s no downsides really, mean’s it’ll get more regressive/linear the less weight you put on the pedals, so you get the progressiveness for jumps/drops/downhill whilst stood up and regressive suspension whilst seated to give loads of grip whilst climbing.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

It’s certainly prettier than a lot of peoples bikes on here.

smiff
    Free Member

how can that pivot behind bb. and the bar/stem?

DickBarton

Top half looks a bit like the failed Marin Alchemy…the lower half I’m not sure how it looks…got to be fun to ride though…surely?

bigbloke
    Free Member

Somebody get my rifle, i’ll put it out of its misery….

WillC9999
    Free Member

Good Christ that is one ugly bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

how can that pivot behind bb. and the bar/stem?

You can figure out the ‘instant canter’, ‘virtual pivot’ or whatever you want to call it by looking at the linkages, the point at which an imaginary line intersects them is the ‘pivot’.

So if you look at the links and imagine the rear one controlling the front/rear position of the pivot and the front one controlling it’s height and you’ll get a vague indication of how it’ll work. Starting behind the BB, then at soem point they’ll both point at it, then forewards.

mildred

The new Nomad is unveiled…

smiff
    Free Member

maybe, but your weight is still on the unsuspended part of the frame. so unless i’m missing something, however it pivots, it still won’t work?

batfink
    Free Member

KILL IT BEFORE IT LAYS EGGS!

brakes
    Free Member

I’m not convinced, I can’t see how it will get away from the normal issues of a unified rear triangle often enough, especially when pedalling – there will only be a small window where the virtual pivot point is favourable for responsiveness.

they tried this with the Mongoose full sussers and it just doesn’t work well enough – you can’t pedal through rough stuff as the suspension just locks up.

Northwind

That is exactly as ugly as I like my bikes to be.

Woody
    Free Member

That’s as maybe Northwind but presumably you do it on purpose.

That bike sets a new benchmark in hideosity (new word possibly but apt) 8)

walla24
    Free Member

nice paint though

parkesie
    Free Member

The horror just look at the state of that garden!

hexhamstu
    Free Member

The virtual pivot point at the bottom bracket I can understand, the stem and bar combo however baffles me.

julianwilson
    Free Member

as above, I can see how sat down, the wheel moves as if it had a pivot at the bb (like the concentric bb pivot on a kona A, DMR bolt etc.) This means you do indeed experience your pedals getting closer to the floor under compression of the rear shock as you do with other designs, and feeling as though the rear wheel is moving in order to ‘suspend’ the rest of the bike. (including the bb/pedals)

What I can’t understand is this: if there is a pivot between the seat and the bb, and no pivot between the bb and the rear axle, will the bike not behave completely differently when you are sat down or stood up? Surely it doesn’t matter about a clever axle path and virtual pivot point, if depending on whether you are stood up or sat down, the weight/force of the rider that is not held by the handlebar/front of the bike shifts between two completely different areas of the frame, which are either side of the shock and pivots.

I am sure there must be an explanation for this: you’d never get a bike this far through production otherwise, but the 2 second video of the vitrual pivot point doesn’t really explain why this will not ride much more like a URT than a ‘normally’ suspended bicycle. Hopefully they can give us a bit more science!

naffrider
    Free Member

Its different. I like it.

Although, the reason why most suspension bikes are similar these days is theyve almost sussed it, so why change it too much

Pun intended.

Reluctant
    Free Member

It’s an overgrown Thudbuster for sure! (does anyone know what it is?) 😆 I don’t think the frame looks so bad, interesting even. But that hidious bar/stem combo needs to go.

TooTall
    Free Member

His website made me cry.

fourbanger
    Free Member

That’s a clever design that is!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Where do you start with this one?’ is closed to new replies.