Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • The Uninvented : the no-shit bike car bag
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

you drive somewhere, ride, get filthy, its cold, there’s no bike wash and you want to keep your car clean:

ok so I want one of these:

2x wheel bags, square and double seamed on the bottom, rear upright then stitched halfway up the front upright. waterproof and tear resistant fabric, the unstitched parts to be sealed by velcro.

thats what I’d stick my muddy wheels in. then:

a long bag, two triangles at the rear connecting to one long triangle and a vertical oblong for the forks. All double stitched up and along the base, the top of the bag again joined up with velcro, a separate bag to put the saddle and seat post in.

I could then just pull the wheels off the bike, chuck it all in a bag, stow it in the car, drive home, wash bike later.

why does this product not exist? (you need to be able to turn it inside out and hose it down, thick padding is not required, this is a car bag not a flight case!

someone must be able to knock these up? I’d buy a couple!!

crispybacon
    Free Member

Stick a car bike-rack on your wedding present list, I’m sure the soon-to-be Mrs Nutt won’t mind :o)

john_walker74
    Free Member

Take wheels of and put in boot, and the frame inside a single duvet cover on the back seats.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Sounds like you need this

Gilesey
    Free Member

£4 blue tarp from B&Q does all of the above for me.

MrNutt
    Free Member

close Gozy, but I’d like one that was bags that I could carry indoors if I really couldn’t be arsed to clean it or it was too late or cold etc then I could trip over it in the morning and carry it back outside and reassemble and hose down the bike & bag the next day after work

MrNutt
    Free Member

that didn’t make sense now did it?

sq225917
    Free Member

mavic wheelbags and an elastic band..

The elastic band is for scraping your entire bike squeeky clean, takes surprisingly little time to do all the main tubes and forks.

Daffy

Buy a dirtworker!

MrNutt
    Free Member

no, I can’t, a dirt worker involves putting a wet bike in the dry car and then having to deice the interior the following morning. somebody Just make my ingenious bike bag please!! we’ll be rich beyond our wildest dreams!!

wildrnes
    Free Member

just shown this to wifey and she will have a go this week

Daffy

How much water do you think stays on the bike?!

I just place a sheet on the floor of the boot, It’s barely even damp when i get the bike out an hour or two later.

MTFU!

MrNutt
    Free Member

at last!! wildrnes any preference to your retirement location, I was thinking Morzine looked quite relaxing? could make a suitable base for our global HQ?? 😆

john_walker74
    Free Member

Have a cuppa & slice of cake while the bike dries off..

wildrnes
    Free Member

i was thinking les gets would be slightly quieter, you know those tourists really do spoil the area

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Like, duuhh! Just tape some bin-liners together, and cover the back of yer motor in them.

Even I know that, and I’m a complete idiot!

MrNutt
    Free Member

but then where would we weekend?

and RudeBoy, bin liners? we’re not in Halfords now dear boy! 😆

BillyBull
    Free Member

Go to a local bedding store and get a plastic cover for a double mattress.

MrNutt
    Free Member

do they exist? still they are not really “bike shaped” are they.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

I bought a large cheap bike bag from ebay, no padding, so easy to clean out, and a cheap wheel bag = problem solved.

The bag’s big enough to put the whole bike in minus the wheels and only cost £25 🙂

marty
    Free Member

it’s only a car.

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh I’m not really that worried about my car, more so other peoples cars if they decide to drive!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

we’re not in Halfords now

Sorry, forgot; a bit upmarket for you… 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Ride your bike to the ride and ride it home again. The car stays spotless then.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I can see the logic in that mike but the swarms of hooded youth, soft air snipers, burning mattresses and discarded “smalls” are only fun to ride around for so long 😀

showerman
    Free Member

only ride on warm dry days 8)

dave_aber
    Free Member

MrNutt – You need to move house!

Rollo
    Free Member

Get a Thule Roof Rack. Expensive but possibly the best bike related thing I have bought – 2 seconds to chuck em on the roof wheels and all, and one clean car.

Problem is you then end up taking three peole in one car and still have a muddy bike in the back. But then my car hs 110000 miles on the clock and I beleive in tough love for cars!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

dirtworker and a tea towel

MrNutt
    Free Member

Jenga you’re very close but I think the wheel bags need to be separate from the frame/forks bag, to maximize efficient use of space

MrNutt
    Free Member

very close Q, but still lots of surplus material, I think I may have to actually make one of these myself!!

MrNutt
    Free Member

I have a thule hangy-off-the-back thing but it worries me and long distances would result in me having a nervous breakdown!! plus its silly having 3k’s worth of bikes hanging of the back of a £600.00 car!! 😀

Jenga
    Free Member

You can get the wheel bags on their own. I have two, and they are really very good, but I just put the frame in the back of the car. Surprisingly it doesn’t make a lot of muck. I use the wheel bags to stop everything banging about against each other. They also make good mats to stand on at the end of a ride!!!

tang
    Free Member

go to a bed shop and blag some mattress bags. shove the whole lot in. bin when they wear out.

Kahurangi

a spare sheet does the job for me. when I get fed up with that I could get a mattress polythene bag, but have a bike rack so no bother 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Its only a car, hoover it when it gets too dirty and has dried etc.

OR get a larger car and stash it all in the boot. Not so bad if that gets cacked up.

Of buy one of those weed killer pump up water thingies from B&Q and bring your own (low power) jet wash.

druidh
    Free Member

An old shower curtain in the back of the car….

nickc

These people make custom made boot covers, I’m sure that if you sent them some drawings and dimensions, they’ll probably be able to knock something up for you

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘The Uninvented : the no-shit bike car bag’ is closed to new replies.