Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • The ultimate 'cross bike?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stigmata 1×11

And it’s in my lbs! Everytime I venture in I have to avoid lifting it as it just makes my bikes feel ridiculously heavy. And pics don’t do it justice, tis stunning.

sillyoldman

Agreed – it’s lovely!

alansd1980

When did Kilmarnock get a bike shop like that?

Is that out by caprington?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yip, Craig owns the whole shebang, garden centre, cafe and bike shop. Santa Cruz, yeti, genesis, canondale to name but a few!.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

He was talking about fitting a dropper post too, think the weight has possibly put him off though.

toppers3933
    Free Member

It’s lovely that.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

very very nice,

why didn’t they use a XX1 (X01 Black) cassette and a black KMC X11SL DLC Chain for ultimate stealth?

any issues with the Tharsis stem and it loosening as per the early reviews?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dirtyrider – I’m pretty sure it’s not been ridden yet.

alansd1980

Don’t famcy his insurance with shortlees so close by, unless things have changed since I moved away.
    Next time I am back homeI might need to drop by and touch some shiney kit.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Haha, too true!. He’s pretty well protected, and also work starts this summer on a huge expansion, including a big new bike shop and cafe. Great to see a local rider doing well for himself.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Apart from the oval ring (not my thing) and the pedals (needs Time!) that’s utterly lovely.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Apparently once he gets the di2 battery into the stem (it’s in the seat tube now) it’s getting a dropper fitted. I can see the logic in a dropper for cx racing, maybe not in the racing round field type races, but I’ve seen a few up here that have some steep wee rooty descents.

jools182
    Free Member

Santa Cruz?

Is it 3 times the price of similar bikes?

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’d have to be a steep ass cx course to use 36/40.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice if odd build that, I can’t spot the mounts for the guards and panniers for my commute either 😉

I’d rather have the new Scott Addict though…

iainc

Trying to resist a visit to the shop 😀

Sprockets has some seriously good kit and have eroded my bank account accordingly over the last few years 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s nice il give you that, ultimate though ?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Very nice, wonder how that will cope with craufurdland mud 🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

Looks nice but why the love for 1 x 11? I struggle with this current fashion for less gears across a narrower range where the rear cassette tends to wear faster than with a 2 x or 3 x set up and when the going get’s steep, the bail out gears just aren’t there. 😕 To be ultimate, it wouldn’t be a Santa Cruz though. Owned three, two were junk – rear triangle out of alignment, 8mm wider than the rear hub long before wider spacing came along, flaking paint. I wonder if their QC has improved since then? Lots of owners seem to love them so they must be doing something right. And it does look lovely!

Jings, I’m a bit grumpy today! 😆

I think a dropper would be ace though. Seriously contemplating putting one on mine just for laughs.

tum-yeto
    Free Member

@dirtyrider the reason for doing this was to see if it was possible, half Road Di2 and half Mountain Bike Di2. Shimano 11spd Chain and cassette are optimised for the electronic shifting.

tum-yeto
    Free Member

@captainflashheart This was more of a “never seen that on one of these before” moments, and the XTR pedals were just a quick fix until we get the new versions.

Rorschach
    Free Member

to see if it was possible, half Road Di2 and half Mountain Bike
    I could have told you that for half a sherbert Dib Dab and 2 mint Mojos.
    Shimano 11spd Chain and cassette are optimised for the electronic shifting
    I’m gonna have to call Bs there.

john_l
    Free Member

That looks hideous.

Plenty of n/w oval rings around above 36t as well. And what’s going on with those bars/STIs?

tang
    Free Member

I was waiting for someone to do the gears like that, for a gravel bike/bike for mixed long rides, not a race bike. Nice build(rotor; approves), but needs a nice carbon seatpost! Pro to match the stem.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I was waiting for someone to do the gears like that

loads have,

any di2 shifters work with any di2 mech, as long as the mechs are paired or 1x i.e. you cannot runs a Dura-Ace Front, with a XTR Rear, as far as I’m aware,

tang
    Free Member

Yes seen lots but not on here!

LS
    Free Member

Clinchers and a gappy cassette? Nowhere near ultimate in my book, sorry!
    The ultimate at the minute is whatever VdP or Van Aert ride, probably for much less cost 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gappy cassette

I remember the same dinosaurs coming out with the same nonsense when 2x was the new thing. Like Jurassic park on here at times!. 😆

Rorschach
    Free Member

My take is that cross bikes are for racing (that’s what I use them for).I have ridden them when not racing….but that’s what they are for.
    That’s definitely a crossbike spec’d by a mountainbiker (who does’nt race-and
    I don’t mean a summer cx neither).Because no one in the universe could afford 2 and then f~#k them over every weekend for 3 months a year riding round in knee deep sh1te and blasting them with a power washer every other lap.
    As a cx bike for riding mtb type stuff….I’d ride my xc bike 8)

simondbarnes

Doesn’t really do anything for me.

dragon
    Free Member

But cyclocross was always 2x. I don’t get why the gearing on this bike is so low. Stupidly light bike so surely a tighter block would make more sense.

LS
    Free Member

I remember the same dinosaurs coming out with the same nonsense when 2x was the new thing. Like Jurassic park on here at times!.

I’m on 1×11 for next season actually and will have the exact same range as my old double setup with largely the same gaps. The cassette on this thing is daft for racing on, and if you need 36/40 you should’ve been off and running long before 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

My take is that cross bikes are for racing (that’s what I use them for).I have ridden them when not racing….but that’s what they are for.

Wouldn’t think so looking at most of the CX bike posts on here. Most of them seem to be wanted for commuting or some off light road pootling.

That’s definitely a crossbike spec’d by a mountainbiker

The big logo on the down tube is enough to tell you that 🙂

fasthaggis

Nice enough looking bike,but the comedy 1×11 gearing ratio spoils it for me.#cruelchainlines 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Frame only option. Want.

taxi25
    Free Member

Because no one in the universe could afford 2 and then f~#k them over every weekend for 3 months a year riding round in knee deep sh1te and blasting them with a power washer every other lap.

Nothing suprises me anymore about how much some people can afford to spend on bikes. Two of those, no problem 😯

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘The ultimate 'cross bike?’ is closed to new replies.