Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • The three peaks challenge…
  • martinhutch

Sounds like you have some fit guys on your team, Bradley.

So…here’s a curveball – do Scafell Pike from Langdale instead. Easier road access, fewer people to piss off if you park sensibly, but four miles longer, and not just following everyone else’s headtorches up the route.

BadlyWiredDog

How about sponsoring me once it’s all OK’d and we have dates. Sponsor me for The National Trust and Mountain Rescue? Or are all you who are against the three peaks not even going to support the ones you claim to be preaching for? Just a question, maybe you’ll prove me wrong…

Go do something that’s a proper challenge: Welsh 3000s inside 24 hours maybe? Bob Graham Round? Even the Whitton, but a glorified motoring tour of the UK interspersed with some roadside walks… Or do what you’re doing by interesting routes – Tower Ridge on the Ben, something on lliwedd, just use some imagination…

brooess
    Free Member

Sorry but reading a plea from the BMC not to do it and then say I’m doing it anyway whilst being aware of the issues still means you’ll be part of the problem, consciously or otherwise..
    I think people were hoping you’d day ‘if the 3 peaks is causing that much of an issue then I’ll have nothing to do with it’

You could work out what the petrol would cost and just give that amount to your chosen charity and go out and do a century ride on your own… win win win surely?

Or the Welsh 3000’s. That’s proper.

DavidB
    Free Member

I am not sponsoring you because I think you are taking the easy path by not challenging it. Also i have done the Welsh 3000s which is proper nails. But, good luck regardless.

highclimber
    Free Member

How about sponsoring me once it’s all OK’d and we have dates. Sponsor me for The National Trust and Mountain Rescue?

You’re having a laugh aren’t you?

The NT explicitly refuse to accept anything from companies running these 3 peaks events as doing so will, in their eyes, imply they condone such events.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Another vote for Welsh 3000s. Proper good mountain challenge.

We did 22 1/2 hours first peak to last peak, including three hours hiding in the shelter on foel grach for daylight to return and the weather to lift.

On the hills for 27 hours in total. Only needed a car to take us home afterwards.

kennyp
    Free Member

Challenge yourself certainly. It’s a great thing to do. But honestly, there are far, far better ones to do than this. It’s not even as if it’s particularly tough. There are loads out there that are more responsible, and also more satisfying, and indeed fun.

djglover
    Free Member

A bloke at work did it with a mate, but they cycled between the peaks on a tandem, how about that?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Personally I don’t “get” sponsorship, it’s too close to chugging people who know you.

I would far rather see people organising events for others as social entrepreneurship rather than wanting to be in the limelight doing the challenge.

Adds far more to the community, can raise more money and isn’t about something for nothing ( ie I give you money to get the credit for donating to charity whilst you do a challenge you always wanted to do)

Just a thought

AlasdairMc

Tell you what, I’ll give a tenner to each of the three MRTs if you pledge not to do it. The locals in Wasdale win, and the MRT win.

lasty
    Free Member

^^^^ Interesting concept, one i would willingly match …

DavidB
    Free Member

And me. I think we’re onto a winner with this new concept where the challenge is NOT doing the 3 peaks

jfletch
    Free Member

There are lots of people who are seriously hard of understanding here.

Why do you think people climb Everest? I mean its not the hardest climb or the most beautiful or even that special, 1000s of people have done. K2 is much harder, why not do that? Well because Everest is the highest and nothing is going to change that.

Now it’s obviously a totally different scale but its the same principle with the national 3 peaks, sure there are plenty of harder things to do but nothing is going to change the fact that the 3 mountains are the highest. Getting to the top is a milestone, an achievement.

And yes there are issues with some people who do the challenge but that doesn’t mean it’s wrong for anyone to climb these mountains, and if you are going to climb them, why not do it one after the other.

For those offering sponsorship to not do it, I will be taking up that challenge this June. Screenshots of the donation receipt please.

To the OP – this website is useful when planning the trip. http://www.uk3peaks.com/

mikewsmith
    Free Member

To the op this is an open plea to reconsider. Jfletch comparing it to Everest makes you look stupid.

A large number of people who know a fair bit more about it have given solid reasons why not.

Your company (if it’s got any idea) should not be supporting or suggesting it. As a minimum you will need a driver change every 2hrs and the resting driver should be able to rest. The fuel use on its own is stupid. There are plenty of other challenges that rely in fitness and skill not booting it down the m6.

DavidB
    Free Member

For those offering sponsorship to not do it, I will be taking up that challenge this June. Screenshots of the donation receipt please.

No problem. Please provide evidence of the corporate challenge masquerade you have managed to cancel.

martinhutch

For me, I don’t like the 3 Peaks industry, but there are only three issues about 3-Peaking which are really problematic for me – impact on Wasdale Head, additional path erosion and the extra burden on MRTs.

The carbon/fuel thing IMO is a bit of a red herring – I’m sure a lot of people on here have driven large distances on separate occasions to N Wales, Scotland and the Lakes for a leisure activity (I certainly have). In theory, bagging all three peaks in one go could be considered more efficient, given that most teams are minibussing it rather than going in separate cars. Not my idea of fun, admittedly.

The OP’s team are taking steps to mitigate these problems by being a little more sensitive to the local community and hopefully vaguely competent, and even suggesting supporting the NT with donations towards path repair. I suggested starting in Langdale and I hope they consider that rather than just follow the crowds.

It’s not the way I like to climb mountains, but I can see the value in it for people who would not usually think of walking up Snowdon or the Ben.

pixelmix
    Free Member

So…here’s a curveball – do Scafell Pike from Langdale instead.

Having climbed Scafell Pike from Langdale, I’d recommend that option. Plenty of proper parking, a lovely walk, and a lot quieter than the tourist route. We saw relatively few people on a stunning April Saturday until we were at the top (although no doubt that is less of an issue in the middle of the night).

jfletch
    Free Member

There are plenty of other challenges that rely in fitness and skill not booting it down the m6.

Yes but there aren’t any other challenges that result in you having climbed the 3 highest peaks in Scotland, England and Wales.

Martinhutch has a balanced view, of course if you are a serious outdoorsy type there are better challenges and there are some things that are objectionable about the industry, but these are all issues that can be mitigated by a sensibly planned challenge.

Mikewsmith and others, your objection comes across as being founded in snobbery that someone would be so beneath you to want to attempt the challenge and are ignoring the OPs very sensible approach to doing something they see as worth doing.

brooess
    Free Member

Mikewsmith and others, your objection comes across as being founded in snobbery that someone would be so beneath you to want to attempt the challenge and are ignoring the OPs very sensible approach to doing something they see as worth doing.

As one of the ‘others’, please can you re-read the BMC piece. It’s about consideration for the locals, consideration for Mountain Rescue (charity btw) poo on the mountain and sustainability of the paths…

Moses

If you want a challenge that’s out of your comfort zone, why not dissuade your company from doing this? That will take guts and skill.
    If you can’t rise to that challenge, why bother with the 3 Peaks?

29erKeith
    Free Member

I’m sure you will but…
    Please just be respectful for the residents at Wasdale head.
    During the season the green can become a rubbish dump and public toilet! with coaches rolling up with noisy 3 peakers in the earlier hours which isn’t very nice for them.

There is a portaloo toilet just a few hundred yards up the road near the start of the trail and bins to.

oh and you’ll be fine, make sure your driver rests though.

The Three peaks Yacht Race is the only one that Wasdale head pub and the residents actually support.

do enjoy it though I’m not trying to be a kill joy 🙂

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

This is quite interesting as i did the 3 peaks a long time ago’93/94 i think, simply for the fun of it, 6 lads hired a minibus and did it. Didn’t go via Wasdale Head. We only met one other group doingit . i have been up Ben Nevis twice the second time I was utterly disgusted to find someone had left a huge toley at the top clearly without any attempt to disguise it or hide it.

The whole impact debate is difficult as people are encouraged to be active but then this ruins areas of natural beauty. Personally there a re far better “challenges” like the http://www.corrieyairack.org/ where the whole thing is properly managed and from what I understand a lot more fun.

jfletch
    Free Member

As one of the ‘others’, please can you re-read the BMC piece. It’s about consideration for the locals, consideration for Mountain Rescue (charity btw) poo on the mountain and sustainability of the paths…

I’ve read the BMC piece, it’s a one sided and condescending way to raise the valid issues. Issues which can easily be mitigated.

There are only locals at Wasdale, start from Langdale.

Mountain rescue, don’t be a numpty, plan proprely and take the necessary precautions as you would on any outdoors activity so that you only use them in a genuine emergency. Maybe make donation as well.

Poo on the mountains? Don’t poo on the mountain!

Erosion, I’m not sure I buy this one. The figures on the BMC article show more people climb the mountain in July and August than the rest of the year. I don’t think this is a massive shock (it’s the school holidays FFS) and its unlikely that is due to 3 peakers to any significant extent. I’ve done the 3 peaks during “the season” and climbed Scafell on a week day during the holidays and it was a hell of a lot busier during the holidays. But a donation to the NT is a good thing what ever your resason for climbing.

DavidB
    Free Member

Mikewsmith and others, your objection comes across as being founded in snobbery that someone would be so beneath you to want to attempt the challenge

Maybe. Mine actually comes from years spent in the mountains looking aghast at the trainer clad idiots chucking Mars bar wrappers all over the place and stuffing up the roads/car parks with mini-buses. Sadly, doing something “sensibly” does nothing to discourage these people. I sensibly put my litter in the bin in town centres, this does nothing to make litter louts stop chucking it. Confronting them does, but it’s a hell of a challenge to make the confrontation. This is the crux of my argument. Probably flawed.

My final gripe is that I don’t think the challenge introduces people properly to mountaineering, I think the hell of the drive, night walking and general discomfort possibly puts them off it.

druidh
    Free Member

If you want to climb the three highest mountains in Scotland, England and Wales, why are you in the Lake District at all?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Having lived and worked in the lake district and seen some of this first hand. Having met a few of the mountain rescue people who give up their time for no reward. Having seen the impact on the fells caused by this sort of thing.. etc etc etc

As for ignoring the OP he seems to have decided he’s doing it regardless of a large amount of requests from the people who manage the fells, look after the people getting lost and injured and represent some major interest groups.

I have seen plenty of original fund raising ideas that will not impact in these ways.

bokonon
    Free Member

If you want to climb the three highest mountains in Scotland, England and Wales, why are you in the Lake District at all?

Or leaving Scotland for that matter – Ben Nevis, Ben Macdui and Braeriach are a pretty good challenge in 24hours, much less driving as well.

All the Scottish 4000’s in 48hours, all the Welsh 3000’s in 24hours, if anything – the lakes doesn’t lend itself to this type of challenge as well (from a numbers perspective) but the Bob Graham round is a good one to aim for…

jfletch
    Free Member

See, snobbery, you clearly know what the challenge means.

Mine actually comes from years spent in the mountains looking aghast at the trainer clad idiots chucking Mars bar wrappers all over the place and stuffing up the roads/car parks with mini-buses.

touch of snobbery here but since the OP has said he will be none of these things is it ok for him to do it?

Having lived and worked in the lake district and seen some of this first hand. Having met a few of the mountain rescue people who give up their time for no reward. Having seen the impact on the fells caused by this sort of thing.. etc etc etc

But the only body I’m aware of who have outright said don’t do it are the BMC and they are just come across as a snobby bunch of whingers with some spurious “facts”. They certainly don’t actively manage the fell. The NT and the Wasdale Mountain Rescue just ask that you follow the guidelines and be sensible which the OP said he would.

edlong
    Free Member

I like the concept on page 1 of sponsoring people to NOT do the three peaks challenge. This is a charitable endeavour I’m well up for, so in support of the three local Mountain Rescue teams, I am willing at great personal risk to commit to also not doing the three peaks in return for sponsorship.

I think I’m not free the weekend 15-16th June so I think this is the best weekend to not do the three peaks. It will be a bit boring and lonely not doing all that driving, walking and pooing on my own, so I was wondering if any other STWers fancy risking it and joining in? We could all not do the three peaks together, which would be much better all round. Who’s with me?

Anyone who’s not free that weekend, or is free but can otherwise commit to not doing the three peaks, let me know and we can get it not organised. I reckon I’m already half way there as I already don’t have access to a minibus, and if lots want to join in, I also don’t have access to a 52 seater coach that we could therefore not use. If anyone wants to get involved but doesn’t think they’re up to the challenge of not walking up those hills, we’ll need a few capable drivers who are able to not drive vast distances for us brave souls who’ll be doing the not walking part.

Remember, the more of you who commit to not doing this, the more diesel we don’t use, and the more poo we don’t leave in inappropriate locations. What other way can you do so much good by simply not doing something?

If it all goes well, I’m considering planning another, more ambitious and unsound challenge to not do – maybe not trekking to Everest basecamp in 2014?

natrix
    Free Member

I’m in Ed, although I’m a bit concerned about how much non-training we’ll have to do. Any ideas?? 🙂

edlong
    Free Member

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but I reckon as we’ve got till June there should be enough time to not do sufficient training. As everyone seems to suggest the hills aren’t that bad, I’m planning on not walking a few localish hills (Yorkshire Dales) every other weekend, depending on the weather. Otherwise, I might have to not go to the gym a bit.

lasty
    Free Member

Well up for the none training none event of the year – count me in ..
    Gonna have to pass on the Everest non-event though as i`m not busy in 2014.

kcr
    Free Member

How about this? Harder, but less controversial:
    http://www.caledonianchallenge.com/
    I know someone who is extremely fit but found this a tough challenge because he was not used to walking.

AlasdairMc

The donation offer was made for the OP only – sorry to disappoint.

Caledonian Challenge would be good, or if you prefer doing it yourself then doing a chunk of the West Highland Way would be an idea. You can do the whole thing with train travel, and you’ll actually be able to enjoy the scenery in the daytime.

jfletch
    Free Member

Well I’ll be blowed. Doing by coach actually emits less carbon per person than by train. Funny thing facts aren’t they.

http://www.beagleybrown.com/planes-trains-or-automobiles-carbon-emissions-compared-for-different-forms-of-transport/

bradley
    Free Member

This is rich…

As for ignoring the OP he seems to have decided he’s doing it regardless of a large amount of requests from the people who manage the fells, look after the people getting lost and injured and represent some major interest groups.

And I suppose if you were in the army you’d politely ask the enemy to stop shooting at you too. What I mean is, you choose to manage the fells, you choose to be part of the mountain rescue team. If you wish to discourage people that much and whine about it then give it up.

DavidB
    Free Member

One idea to the OP. Challenge would be more fun and less impactful if you dropped the 24 hours and attempted it by public transport unsupported in quickest time possible?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Slight tangent, but mountain rescues are a win-win situation. The imperilled mountaineer wants to get rescued, and the rescue team want to rescue people.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Anyone know if there’s an official lowest mountain in England, Scotland and Wales?
    That would make a great alternative! 🙂

mattsccm
    Free Member

why?
    Spend money doing something thats nothing special. Daft

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘The three peaks challenge…’ is closed to new replies.