Home Forums Chat Forum The TentBox- Lets hear your defence/excuses

Viewing 23 posts - 161 through 183 (of 183 total)
  • The TentBox- Lets hear your defence/excuses
  • andy8442
    Free Member

I really don’t understand the comparison to camper vans, surely the nearest comparison is a plain old tent? and a 2 man tent at that. So the economic arguments seen on here don’t stand up, ie, a 20-50k camper, to an over priced roof tent.

jfab

@molgrips That’s exactly how I use mine, the other option was build a folding/sliding bed into the back of my Caddy Van and just have that in the way for the 9 times out of 10 I’m just using it as a van/to carry multiple bikes and a box of kit.

molgrips
    Free Member

I really don’t understand the comparison to camper vans, surely the nearest comparison is a plain old tent?

I did think that originally but I have changed my mind. A normal tent is far more convenient for a holiday, the main advantage of a roof tent is that you can instantly pitch then instantly drive away in the morning – that’s what you can do with a camper van.

Once you start using it as if it were a standard tent with all the paraphernalia then it starts to become significantly less convenient, I reckon.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It’s ideal use case seemed to be for a long journey such as driving where the purpose is the drive. An example being the afore mentioned London to Capetown trip.  These days it seems derigour for a trip to an out of town industrial estate to work in an office.  See more of them than. I do vw campers. I can see the appeal to the uninitiated. I’ve also seen the other side where the wind picks up at sheildaig and all the roof top campers pack away their giant sails and sheepishly try and find other digs the night before Celt man

molgrips
    Free Member

We had a lot of wind this holiday, and the smart campers listened to the farmer and pitched up in the lee of the hedge. A lot of roof campers (and tent campers) pitched on the clifftop overlooking the sea, but it was pretty windy the whole time. The rooftop campers moved towards the hedge, which was relatively easy for them, but due to the elevated position they still got blown around a lot. TBH the roof tents didn’t look to bad but most of them left after a few days. It’s a bit niche but it’s quite hard to get out of the wind on top of a car. If you had a low down floor tent you could pitch behind your car, a windbreak, or whatever. That said a 2-man tent that size should be pretty stable anyway, it was mostly the big ones that got blown about.

StuE
    Free Member
    TedC

If you had a low down floor tent you could pitch behind your car, a windbreak, or whatever.

Thule called: https://www.thule.com/en-gb/rooftop-tents-and-accessories/towbar-mounted-tents/thule-outset-towbar-_-901560

andy8442
    Free Member

That Thule thing, it’s a joke, right? I mean, the lions and tigers can jump straight into that thing! What is the point? And – HOW MUCH?

trail_rat
    Free Member

That Thule thing, it’s a joke, right? I mean, the lions and tigers can jump straight into that thing! What is the point? And – HOW MUCH?

Solves the issue of ending up in inches deep water in the night  when you pitch your tent in a low spot

tewit
    Free Member

I’d rather sleep in inches of water than buy one of those at that silly price. You can get a decent small caravan for less.

timidwheeler

That Thule thing is an excellent solution, all the benefits of the rooftop option but tucked behind the car so much more economical.  Can be detached, so easy to drive to the shops and leave it behind.  A mini trailer tent without actually having to tow a trailer.

Then I scrolled down and saw the price!!!

The Thule seems like a very large thing when folded and a very small tent when unfolded

andy4d

That Thule says it’s a 3 person!! Eh, 3 children maybe? Even their pictures shows only 2 sleeping bags. Nice idea though.

andy8442
    Free Member

The Thule thing looks like a school design challenge, mistakenly put into production. I’d love to know the sales numbers.

bikesandboots

TentBox GO

60 seconds to open/close. 33kg. I’m now half interested.

Ideas to get it on the roof without needing an engine crane, hoist, or some huge DIY frame contraption?

joshvegas
    Free Member

33kg? Just hoy it up there.

trail_rat
    Free Member

33kg? Just hoy it up there.

It’s smaller and similar weight than the two solar thermal panels I just put up on my.roof. 1 persons hoying that no where.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ha too late to edit. The panels were smaller than the roof tent obviously.

Neither heavy but bloody aukward to hold preventing said hoying

Ambrose

It took three big blokes plus a supervisor to lift an 80kg? tent box off the roof of my son’s Berlingo to put it into storage last weekend. I can understand why people keep them on the roof of their vehicles. I’m lucky enough to have a big enough shed to store the thing for him but lack of storage could well be a barrier for some.

brads
    Free Member

All that climbing downstairs to pee !

joshvegas
    Free Member

It’s smaller and similar weight than the two solar thermal panels I just put up on my.roof. 1 persons hoying that no where.

Twas but a joke.

Either, if its long enough get the front on the back roof bar and push it.

Or put a small block of wood near the end of two 2x4s to hook onto the rear roof bar, and slide saharah9000 into place.

johnjn2000

Well, I have done it. Button pressed. Went for the GoOutdoors Vertex Lite 130, came in at £567 after the discounts which was easier to swallow than the TentBox brand offerings.

wheelsonfire1

This is my low cost solution – IMG_3254

Viewing 23 posts - 161 through 183 (of 183 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.