Home Forums Chat Forum The TentBox- Lets hear your defence/excuses

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 183 total)
  • The TentBox- Lets hear your defence/excuses
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I always wonder how it’s killing the mpg and how long it would take to pay for a hotel for the night in savings if removed.

You need to get out more.

I kinda half like the idea of one but coupled with something like a Caddy where there is some space “downstairs” for stuff like a little fridge and all the stuff you normally take camping.

jwh
    Free Member

I had a ventura style one – similar to a tentbox.
    I put it on the top of my transit custom.

Used it once -then sold it.

It was such a faff to get onto the roof rack – at about 60KG’s its heavy to be lifting onto the top of a vehicle.

it was going to be removed / added as required and not just left on.

Using the ladder to get in / out was dangerous – esspecially as it was at full extension on my van.

I still love the ide – if i had a normal car – then yes as you could lift it on / off easier.

andy8442
    Free Member

In answer to the question, can lions climb the ladders of a Land Rover? They don’t need to. They just wait for it to break down, then they get you while you’re underneath it! 

I’m only joking.

BillOddie

Tentboxes based on the ones I have seen at Campsites, look crap.

These however look ace:

ayjaydoubleyou

Got to admit the hitch tent ElShamino posted does look good – seems to solve the discussed issues of roof tents, you can use the vehicle while pitched up and all the while remaining out of the reach of 6, 8 and 0 legged fauna and without covering itself in mud.

Dread to think what it will cost. Plus £1k to get a hitch fitted.

cookeaa

There’s a Chap round the corner from us I periodically see lashing one to the roof of his Defender, I think it’s part of a rugged ‘Overlanding’ look he’s achieved with a snorkel, water and fuel canisters, etc all strapped to the outside of a jacked up Landy rolling about on Extra knobbly AT tyres.

I assume He’s striking out a bit further than Rural Berkshire, maybe he needs to be on the roof at night to escape feral ponies in the New Forrest? But a weekend away sleeping on the roof on his car, must cost an absolute fortune just in fuel, having made an already inefficient vehicle even less efficient.

The thing I’ve got an irrational love of though are those stupid little mini-teardrop trailer/caravan things. They seem to be popular in the states, again with “overlander” types, who seem to like towing about a dinky plywood box to sleep in behind their apocalypse proofed 4×4 monster truck, but also with YT hipsters who aren’t quite wealthy enough to live the full on #vanlife

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Apparently lions don’t see you as food if you stay in the vehicle, but if you get out…

There are no can openers the plains of the Serengeti

winston
    Free Member

“Dread to think what it will cost”

We stock Thule roof tents and they are very well made with excellent customer service – as far as the Outset goes, the rep said it was very much going to be ‘premium pricing’ so thats 3k at least, prob nearer 4.

ayjaydoubleyou

as far as the Outset goes, the rep said it was very much going to be ‘premium pricing’ so thats 3k at least, prob nearer 4.

The frame I’d expect to be their usual high quality. Would they sell the tent bit/”canvas” separately as a repair item? Otherwise thats a lot of money to bin once the fabric gets old and tired and less than waterproof.

dirkpitt74

I like the idea of one coupled with a small van.

Bikes & cooking stuff etc in the van and a comfy’ish dry bed on top.

RustyNissanPrairie

Our Howling Moon RTT was good – dry, airy and comfy.
    Okay levels of faffage to deploy/stow.

I’m rebuilding our XC90 for a Scandic roadtrip next year and looking at options.

1. RTT – the market has opened up since we bought ours ~ 15year ago but I think there is a bit of rebranded crap now on the market.
    2. Inflatable rear Dometic awning – bulky to store/transport, would need a roofrack.
    3. Oztent RV series tent, quick to deploy but long when stowed so need a roofrack
    4. Inflatable tent, as per awning above, bulky.

I think a RTT is still the potential favourite but I’m watching the Thule hitch tent with interest. Not interested in anything with poles – I want to break camp and go quickly.

benpinnick

The Outset is definitely going to be 2024’s must steal accessory. Its very cool, but the defence mechanism for leaving it somewhere is a Thule barrel lock…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Its very cool, but the defence mechanism for leaving it somewhere is a Thule barrel lock…

Nah the lock is just decoration. The real security mechanism is a hernia

euain

Love mine.. great for camping at events where you’re stuck in a gravel car park with no grass to pitch a tent on. I’ve used mine at Ft. William, Glenshee and a few other times. Also taken it up into Torridon (well Shieldaig) when we could only get a gravel pitch.

It’s about 60kg, which is below the weight limit on the Octavia. (Weight limit is dynamic, seems you can put a lot more on when static).

Now, I’d love a camper van of some description but can’t stretch to that. It’s not perfect but works bloody well. We got a Ventura one – seems about the cheapest you can get but works for us.

The good – it takes seconds to pitch, it’s comfy, waterproof, spacious (fits two adults and the dog with plenty of space to keep bags etc). Doesn’t need grass to pitch on.. and doesn’t matter if there’s an inch of running water on the ground. All valid considerations for your average SDA event.

The less good – sits a bit low on the Octavia – can walk into it. Bit more thought needed for night-time pees (see bottle instructions above). Cooking etc. gets done outside. I’ve got an annex for it but it’s not that good on the car (would work well on something taller). Also it’s a big beast to store in the garage and uses valuable bike space.

Bikes end up going on the tow-bar rack when it’s in use. I think it’s better mpg like that than 2-3 bikes on the roof. Certainly getting 47+ mpg on the Octavia fully loaded heading into the wilderness – which I can accept.

mert
    Free Member

SAAB done it a while ago.

These look like a good idea, if you could get a modern car with the same huge boot lid.
    There are a few on their stands round here. I used to pass one on my way out MTBing until a couple of years ago.

Toppola

5lab
    Free Member

Inflatable tent, as per awning above, bulk

How many of you are travelling? Our large 5 man inflatable decathlon tent takes up about 1/6 the space of the boot of our zafira, and I’ve done bikepacking with it on the cargobike (probably overkill). Our 2 man inflatable (same size as a roof tent I’d say) is truly tiny

tjagain

Seems like a worst of all worlds to me ( unless you need to get off the ground to avoid beasties)

All the disadvantages of a tent and a camper van in one go with none of the advantages of either.  I’ve used small campervans, big motorhomes, tiny tents, big tents but never felt the need for a roof tent. 

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

4 berth camper is about £100/day to hire, have actual beds, and go back to the owner when you’re done. You’ll not be catching me paying £3k for a roof tent.

Parents used to own a Rapido folding caravan. More of a “solid tent” than a caravan. Folded into a fairly small trailer. They used to stash it on its side in the garden. Around 20 mins to pitch. Waterproof if storm conditions were less than a hurricane. 4 beds, the big one converted into daytime dining table. Had a stove, coolbox + toilet. Seemed like a reasonable answer to most of the pitch problems described above the ballache of a VanLife answer or a full blown Camper slash RV. Obviously way too retro (or is it not retro enough?) to be remotely viable/desirable/available/repairable these days.

willard

@mert I literally saw one of those on the way back from Blekinge in summer. Even after five year it amazes me how many old, strange/classic cars are still running and still in good shape, which I guess says a lot about besiktning.

Anyway, on roof tents… We have one. We do not use it (yet) because it came with my mother-in-law’s Caddy and she did not want it. When/if I get around to buying a small van for trips out with the bikes I fully intend to use it so that I can leave the bikes and stuff in the car safe and sound and have a place to sleep that is less likely to have an issue with ants and/or water.

I intend to solve the problem of “old man bladder” with a clearly marked up Nalgene bottle. One of the ones with a wide opening.

RustyNissanPrairie

How many of you are travelling? Our large 5 man inflatable decathlon tent takes up about 1/6 the space of the boot of our zafira, and I’ve done bikepacking with it on the cargobike (probably overkill). Our 2 man inflatable (same size as a roof tent I’d say) is truly tiny

2 of us and large dog. I need to have a good look at inflatable tents, probably at NEC camping show in Feb.

dknwhy

willardFull Member
    One of the ones with a wide opening.

No need to brag :)

dirkpitt74

Just use a funnel with a tube out through the zip on the door, no chance of knocking a bottle of pee over or running out of space in the bottle….

Now to solve the No 2 problem – you could go full SAS and keep a roll of clingfilm in there and some ziplock bags – just don’t put it next to the ziplock with your sarnies in…….

squirrelking
    Free Member

4 berth camper is about £100/day to hire, have actual beds, and go back to the owner when you’re done. You’ll not be catching me paying £3k for a roof tent.

Conversely a roof tent starts at £125 for 3 nights then up to £210 for a fortnight (incrementally cheaper the longer you rent it) and hand it back at the end.

https://rentals.decathlon.co.uk/l/decathlonbraehead/product/vnfXZ8wrV2XvX1msg0RC

For all I’d use it that actually sounds great value and massively more sensible.

Parents used to own a Rapido folding caravan. More of a “solid tent” than a caravan. Folded into a fairly small trailer. They used to stash it on its side in the garden. Around 20 mins to pitch. Waterproof if storm conditions were less than a hurricane. 4 beds, the big one converted into daytime dining table. Had a stove, coolbox + toilet. Seemed like a reasonable answer to most of the pitch problems described above the ballache of a VanLife answer or a full blown Camper slash RV. Obviously way too retro (or is it not retro enough?) to be remotely viable/desirable/available/repairable these days.

Actually no, they’re horrifically, ass-bleedingly expensive, last I saw was £19k which would buyt you an actualy ready to inhabit shed to drag around. I suspect that’s why they’re not popular.

winston
    Free Member

Where is this 4 berth camper for £100 per night – in school holidays obvs – of which you speak?  Please can you point me to the website?

Waderider
    Free Member

I helped my pal put one on top of his landrover a few years ago. It was non elementary. He has a fair bit of camping experience so I’m fairly sure if it was bobbins he would have got rid by now. I do think you’d get to the age where bladder issues /arthritis would go against them. It’s the use of a landrover for regular transport that I don’t understand rather than the use of the roof tent.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

All this talk of weak bladders and arthritis probably explains why the idea of an adventure for a lot of you, is a bloody campervan 🤣

matt_outandabout

Where is this 4 berth camper for £100 per night – in school holidays obvs – of which you speak? Please can you point me to the website?

I’m paying that for a VW transporter pop top thing for the next few days on a deal at the end of the season. Is a SWB pop top *really* a 4 berth van?

onehundredthidiot

A tentbox finally persuaded me to abandon Instagram.
    The owner had come up with the cunning plan of attaching it to a trailer, then it was easy to get into, not on the roof, still off the ground, and meant your could drive away with it pitched.

So, a trailer tent then. I realised humanity was lost to an upcoming idiocracy and wept for the future.

piha
    Free Member

Ha ha, this is a great thread..!!

I’ve got a RTT on a Defender and I think it’s a flipping marvellous bit of kit but RTTs aren’t for everyone.

It takes about 30 – 60 seconds to set up and then another 60 seconds to inflate the mattress with the tiny air pump. Taking it down takes around 5 – 7 minutes depending on faffage. Being on top of the car means I have more space in the car plus ants, scorpions and other creepy crawlies can’t get in. 

When it rains I’m not sat on top of wet ground and setting it up on wet ground poses no issues. I’ve been in some serious storms in mine and thankfully I’ve survived…!!! No leaks yet. It’s allowed me to get to places that would be tricky for a van to access. There’s no real penalty when driving apart from a 5 – 10% increase in fuel consumption.  It’s less obvious when stopping off the beaten track than a camper van. 

I haven’t met any lions or alligators to test the ‘climbing up the ladder’ theory  yet although I’ve had wolves, bears & European jackals in the vicinity and didn’t get eaten! I would post some photo’s of the RTT in some pretty cool spots but it’s a right pain in the butt to post photo’s on STW.

kayjay

IMG_2122Yorkshire, in August. It was raining heavily sideways. Gotta love the ambition…  The photo doesn’t do justice to the angle it was parked at, the back wheels were a lot lower than the front.

reeksy

plus ants, scorpions and other creepy crawlies can’t get in.

I don’t really see this as relevant. I’ve camped hundreds of times in Australia in a standard tent and never had this problem. The zip is a remarkable invention.

But this is what we all really need. I found it blocking my path on the way to work this morning. Jimny, tinny and mtb on the trailer.

IMG_6311

welshfarmer

Guess this is how they should be used (Morocco/Algeria border 2010). For what its worth mine is the blue one on the floor. Twice when taking it down in the morning I found a scorpion under the flysheet.

Now if you really want to think outside the box…. (apologies but it is in German but you will quickly get the idea!)

dudeofdoom

TBH , my inner gear fetishist gets excited when it sees a unimog, oddly in a decathlon carpark. they are insane in the flesh  and I’m seeing a few more lorry-life creations er plodding along.
    Being in southern Spain near the coast you get to see a lot of  van life.

I quite like the idea of micro teardrop adventure caravans for a quick weekend party getaway.

I just don’t think when I get a few more years on me,I’d be wanting to be lifting a tent box onto the roof of anything, it’s hard enough hassle popping a bike up there.

I suppose the value is in how much use you get out of whatever you buy.

littledave
    Free Member

Evening all,

I have finally got the roof tent lifting system sorted using an SGS engine crane and lifting arm from Adventure Equipped. It works!! I can now easily and quickly fit and remove my tent  :-).

Somewhat complex to get it sorted, need a low profile crane to fit under the car and slightly longer than standard slings to go round the tent.

I have a hard top roof tent and it is great for one or two night roadside stops in Scotland, very quick to  useable in windy / wet conditions. I am looking forward to Spring though…..

alpin
    Free Member

roof tent lifting system sorted using an SGS engine crane and lifting arm

Que?

Pics before we can start laying into you, please… 😘

matt_outandabout

Interesting thread revival.

I was sat watching* at Braemar Campsite earlier this week a ‘roof tenter’. Snow on the ground. 1*c. Raining. Wind.

Cooking on a Discovery tailgate, while his partner sat resolutely in the front seat engine on and a big puffy jacket.

Then the dance to get the tent popped up ‘it was not a hard top, and seemed to extend sideways over the car with a ladder underneath. Then the dance to go up the ladder with pillows, sleeping bags, a light, a book.

She still sat in the passenger seat not looking happy.

The next morning as we sat having breakfast and planning the day we heard a shout – seems she missed the ladder and landed into the puddle below in her PJ’s before heading off to the showers to change. ‘Look of thunder’ was the mood of the day it seems.

* Next pitch along, warm under a fixed roof, heater, cooker, slippers on…

mogrim

Have to say a tentbox looks ideal for the trail races I do – overnight stay in a small village, not necessarily any campsite nearby, just pull up somewhere and 15 minutes later you’re got somewhere to sleep. Walk to the start next morning, and have a shower in the local sports centre after. Food and toilets would be local restaurants / cafes.

I’d love to have a van to sleep in, but it just doesn’t make economic sense.

Saw one of these on a Toyota Yaris the other day. It looked absolutely ridiculous.

That said, maybe on a Yaris it kinda makes sense as you ain’t getting a big tent in the boot

redthunder
    Free Member

Around my way we had a local loon who made one out of timber decking 😒. It was massive and seemed to be attached to roof bars and yes it did look deadly.

Sneaked a closer look one day and he just drilled right through the roof and bolted it to the car as well.

Shocking thing. And it was all on a Nissan Almera.

I nicked named it the Ark of the Convanant.

The Horror… The Horror !

The true Dirt Shed Show :-)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 183 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.