Home Forums Chat Forum The TentBox- Lets hear your defence/excuses

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 183 total)
  • The TentBox- Lets hear your defence/excuses
    rickmeister

I now have an image of the Fast Show let’s off road sketch but with one of those tents added 

Swiss Tony “Using a Roof Tent is like making love to a beautiful woman”……. hard exterior…. unzip……pop up……slip inside…… etc etcwrite your own script. 

dudeofdoom

I’ve seen a few toy trailers in Spain,with the motorbike inside being towed by the monster motor home.

Just seems another idea to spend even more money when tbh  booking hotels along your route and driving the bike or a comfortable car would probably be less farf.

I actually think that you could buy a house close to beach here for less money as well.

cakeandcheese

150L on the Prado Reeksy – good enough for a couple of trips to work at least 🫣

Edit – it’ll be getting a roof platform next too, to completely undermine my fuel consumption argument. But that’s because there is now a baby in the back, and all his associated toys (which are far less fun than my toys)

RustyNissanPrairie

Coming to this thread as a former overlanding Defender owner with a Howling Moon RTT and awning set up.

Pointless extolling their virtues in this thread – it’s just become a pile on.

See also Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman – the majority of those BMW GS’s and roof top tents bought won’t ever step off the ferry into Africa but for people they are dreams that one day they might. And thats a lot more than some of the negative **** on this thread have.

ElShalimo

It doesn’t matter, they’re pointless here for most people

It’s a bit like having a V12 Ferrari Grand Tourer and using it to commute in and out of London in rush hour

anagallis_arvensis

for people they are dreams that one day they might. And thats a lot more than some of the negative **** on this thread have

Yep.

I also don’t get the idea that “you could pay less to sleep in hotels”. Camping is far more fun.

But I’ll ask again……can Lions not climb Land Rovers?

weeksy

You see quite a few at DH meetings, they’re getting more and more popular. I’m not convinced it get it though, over and above a 1/2 man tent. I reckon our tent takes 3-4 mins to put up…. The lad sleeps in the Transit.
    I could in theory get one for the Transit, but he seems happy sleeping in there and i’m not convinced i’d sleep any better/worse in the top of the van or on the ground.

Putting the tent away would be arguably easier than threading the poles back out probably though.

zippykona

Would one fit on an Outlander?

DrP

I personally think they’re quite cool (don’t have one mind..)… 

I don’t think people get them PRETENDING they’re on safari, any more than those of us who pop out for a one night bivi 3km from home pretend we’re 600 miles into the tour divide..!

I can see the benefit of rocking up to a site, swinging open the roof box, and hopping into the ‘tent’ to spend a night, not having to worry about pitching a ground sheet etc etc.

But I didn’t realise they’re £1500-1900 ish.. so for that reason I’m out..

DrP

convert

And thats a lot more than some of the negative **** on this thread have.

🤭

One of the best things about forums is overreaction. It can be glorious. This is a light-hearted thread about cloth and a bit of plastic and if you put it on the roof or in the boot. It even started with the phrase “The world is currently going to hell in a hand cart, so let’s take our minds of it with a bit of first world gripes.”. Yet it elicits a **** (not sure what the **** is mind – it could be a **** or even a ****).

You must have been a superb target for the bullies at school after a rise 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

But I’ll ask again……can Lions not climb Land Rovers?

I honeymooned in Kenya and did the safari in an open Land Rover. Apparently lions don’t see you as food if you stay in the vehicle, but if you get out…

nickc

I guess there’s a forum some-where currently pissing themselves as they find more and more picture of bike-packing and laughing at the idea of bivvy-ing on the moor above your house in a small plastic poly-tube and and working an underpowered stove trying to make the sort of coffee that you could go and buy at the Costa in town.

devash
    Free Member

kayak23

It’s coming to the motorcycle world too 😊

Wing-ebago anyone?

ads678

I don’t think I’d have one myself, I’ve got a comfy insulated van with a double bed in it and an inflatable awning for the kids!

But I can see they could be a good idea for some if you have somewhere to store it and some one to help you put it on the car. Got to be a good thing if it means people don’t have to buy a bigger car to fit camping stuff in. I mean those **** bell tents probably take up sooo much room in your electric car boot that you can’t fit your SUP, wood burning stove and esspresso machine in!

poly
    Free Member

I assumed that some of the perceived advantages were:

– if the site get moderate flooding or heavy rain you aren’t sleeping in 3” of water

– if the site is a rocky lumpy, thistley mess you aren’t sleeping with lumps in your back

– if you are off the ground so probably better insulated than the average tent?

– presumably quick to pop up / put down compared to a similar sized tent?

Now I’d also have hoped:

– you can leave your sleeping bag and air matress in situ so you have a bit less faff setting up / packing up?

– if you need to dry it out you can just pop it up on your driveway / street and don’t need a garden big enough to erect a whole tent or indoor space suitable for airing it?

I am not sure they are any more crazy than people driving vans around 5 days a week because every second weekend they go cycling!  

tjagain

I don’t own a car. Can I put one on my bicycle?

scotroutes

presumably quick to pop up / put down compared to a similar sized tent?

I’d have thought so but it may depend on type and size. On the site at Poolewe recently it took about an hour for someone to set one up. 

Even the pop top roof is an issue in the sort of winds we frequently encounter in the UK, but at least we can lower it and sleep comfortably in the van. I just can’t see how one of these roof tents could be relied upon for a holiday here, so my response is all about practicality. 

ayjaydoubleyou

I assumed that some of the perceived advantages were:

– if the site get moderate flooding or heavy rain you aren’t sleeping in 3” of water

– if the site is a rocky lumpy, thistley mess you aren’t sleeping with lumps in your back

– if you are off the ground so probably better insulated than the average tent?

– presumably quick to pop up / put down compared to a similar sized tent?

Now I’d also have hoped:

– you can leave your sleeping bag and air matress in situ so you have a bit less faff setting up / packing up?

– if you need to dry it out you can just pop it up on your driveway / street and don’t need a garden big enough to erect a whole tent or indoor space suitable for airing it?

I am not sure they are any more crazy than people driving vans around 5 days a week because every second weekend they go cycling!

Can see the advantage if you are regularly attending bike races or other outdoorsey events with overnight stays in a repurposed farmers field for example. Popped on the roof of a sensible estate or large hatch back. (or even a small SUV for people that way inclined) For pretty much all the reasons given above. The bike can then safely be secured within the car. Seems nicer than a panel van and mattress, not as nice as a proper (diy or bought) camper conversion, but they are ££££.

Probably not so good if you are camping for the sake of camping. Any car big enough for a 2 man roof tent will take an inflatable tent big enough to stand up in, air beds, stove etc in the boot/back seats for less than half the price.

freeagent
    Free Member

I had a more traditional (canvas) roof tent on my old Discovery. We bought it to use on a trip to Morocco.

For ‘overlanding’ they do make sense – you can leave the majority of your bedding inside, they take 5 mis to set-up/fold away, it lessens the chances of you ending up with scorpions and spiders in you bed compared with a ground tent.

We had some fantastic nights sleep in it. If i bought another 4×4 for an overlanding trip i’d definitely buy another roof tent.

longdog
    Free Member

tjagain
    I don’t own a car. Can I put one on my bicycle?

TJ you can get (or make) a bike popup/caravan, there’s loads of self builds on YouTube, usually towed by over powered e-bikes.

My favourites have to be the goat or sheep towed caravans though 😁

hooli

This thread is hilarious. Other people are not allowed a roof tent because they wont go to Africa in it, all while riding a 180mm carbon fiber full susser around a UK trail center 4 times a year ;-)

reeksy

I guess there’s a forum some-where currently pissing themselves as they find more and more picture of bike-packing and laughing at the idea of bivvy-ing on the moor above your house in a small plastic poly-tube and and working an underpowered stove trying to make the sort of coffee that you could go and buy at the Costa in town.

I do that on this forum already… and at my mates that spent a fortune on gear to use once a year.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@poly exactly my thoughts. I could put one on my Mondeo, bike and kit in the boot and no drama or worries about it getting lifted. 2 grand is still a lot cheaper than a van last I checked.

You can hire the ones in Decathlon, been tempted a few times just to see how practical they are.

As for aero off road, unless they’re on the Paris-Dakar rally I doubt they’ll be shifting fast enough for that to be a concern.

Bruce

Not as pointless as the truck bed tent where you have to unload your luggage to put up the tent.

Useful in shetland where you can park a motor home at marinas but some have limited grass for a tent.

It’s better than towing a car or motorcycle behind your motor home.

ElShalimo

dknwhy

Here we go……..

I’ve got one. It’s one of the pop-top plastic Tentbox ones. I also own a little pop-up tent and one of those huge inflatable family jobs. We camp a lot as it’s the easiest thing to do with the dog and we really enjoy it.

I’m the only one that uses the roof tent. Like bikes, I find I use different tents for different trips. It isn’t really suitable for a family trip (unless one night for 2 people).

We have a car and a van (Ford Tourneo). As we live in the ULEZ zone, the van only gets used for holidays and bike trips. The roof tent stays on all the time. It’s hassle to take on and off so I just don’t bother. I just accept the MPG losses. I pay £12.50 every time I leave my street!

It’s definitely not suitable for family holidays and I really don’t see the point of the fold out roof tents either (unless needing to be off the ground for overlanding etc). They definitely are the worst of all worlds.

I use mine exclusively for bike trips and events (about 14 nights away this year so far). It enables me to leave the seats in the van all the time and have room to keep bike(s) in so that they are safer than being locked on the tow bar rack or outside the van. I also have a little kitchen pod that I can take in or out as required. Plenty of space for other camping stuff and a big coolbox too. I’ve also fitted an awning to the roof. I essentially have a poor-man’s camper but the van is more useable year-round and I’m not precious about having muddy stuff inside.

I used to sleep in the van at events but it was always a bit damp and a pain manoeuvring around a muddy bike and messing around with the window covers. This is my favourite way to camp.

Having used pop-up “2 second” tents in the past, I think the roof tent is a step up in terms of ease and speed. The foam mattress is in there all year round. I just chuck a pillow and sleeping bag in there once I open it. I’ll leave them in there if moving between sites. I can be set up in a couple of minutes – 4 straps to undo, the arms lift the top and then I extend the ladder up.

Putting down is a bit longer as I like to towel off any moisture off the outside and make sure it is all tucked in neatly before collapsing the lid. If it goes away wet, I pop it open on the driveway to air out. Sometimes I’ll run a heater up into it from the garage to really dry everything out. I leave a couple of those bean-bag dehumidifiers in there when closed.

Yes, they’re expensive. I’m hoping to get a few years out of mine.

Having it on top of the van affords some great views and the kid in me thinks that it does feel like a bit of an adventure when I’m sleeping higher up. Pathetic I know, but I’ll take any little joy I can out of  life.

It is well insulated and has all round windows so it breathes well. Being high up, you get a good through-breeze in summer with the windows open (but mesh closed). For colder weather I book an electric hook-up and run a fan heater on a little table or use an oil filled radiator. It’s a small space so warms up quickly. It’s big enough to change in but not stand up.

The ladder isn’t an issue. I barely think about it but did stick on some grip tape on the rungs to prevent slipping. Night-time wees are an issue in all tents. I either get up or use a bottle.

I’m not an “overlanding” type. I have no intention to take my van off the beaten track. I’m not a “vanlifer” either. Generally, I’m either in a field as part of a cycling event or on a nice campsite. Last week I paid £10 to sleep on the C&C club site in Rhayader so I could ride in the Elan Valley. It’ll be a few years before I break even against the cost of a Premier Inn though!

It won’t work for everyone. It doesn’t always work for me. I use other tents, hotels etc as required. Next week, we’re staying at an AirBnB in Aviemore. Definitely not a trip for camping, especially in a roof tent!

I like riding bikes and doing events. This setup works for me. If you see me at an event, say hi and feel free to have a look around.

yoshimi

Now I’d also have hoped:

Mine had a memory foam mattress and also another vent layer mattress under that which stayed in oplace all the time – we also left the sleeping bags up there.

Yes, just open it out on the drive when you get home and ususally dry within an hour or so – probably helps that they’ve not been sat on wet ground all weekend.

Also, at no point did I ever intend to go to Africa on safari – just liked the idea of a quick set-up and take down – which it was.

The downside is that in reality you want to leave it on the car at all times – they’re big, heavy and definitely a 2 person job – we put ours on at the start of the sumer and left it on until winter.

I honeymooned in Kenya and did the safari in an open Land Rover. Apparently lions don’t see you as food if you stay in the vehicle, but if you get out…

Hyenas however…

…we had some lads mobbed when they broke down, ended up having to discharge their weapon after a spicy dog tried to climb into the back through the canvas.

My mate bought one, it then grew as he realised he wanted the awning for when it was pissing down, he has a rather comprehensive setup now.

The basic tent box looks simple enough, his setup looks a faff.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ll admit, a hard shell one is top of my list if/when I need to get another car at some point.

Quick to pop up, proper mattress, proper quilt, no lumpy ground.

A lot of my camping tends to be arriving late, pitching up, sleeping, then doing something fun the next day. I don’t need to ‘experience’ camping, I just want a decent nights sleep somewhere where there are no B&B’s.

I always wonder how it’s killing the mpg

Significantly less than the hit of driving a T5 (or is it 6 for the cool kids now)?

squirrelking
    Free Member

That Thule looks good, if concerning where high winds are forecast.

benpinnick

Someone came into the shop the other week seeking copious amounts of waterproof tape. He’d just bought a roof tent, drove up to the Isle of Mull to go camping in September to find that it leaks horrendously, soaking their sleeping bags – they had to check into a B&B to dry out. I have a pop-up roof on my camper – you sometimes get small drips in high winds and driving rain, so we drop the top in rough weather.

I considered importing one direct for my pickup, would cost alot less than buying in the UK – its a logical choice for a one nighter which I do moderately often as it would fit over the box of the pickup, no/minimal wind drag, not massively up in the air etc. Just chuck a couple of levelling chocks in and away we go. There are some advantages for example:

– It has its own matress
    – It wont be lumpy if I park up somewhere random
    – Its off the ground if its hosing it down
    – Don’t have to pack it up next day, at least not in a meaningful way, just fold and go
    – The one I was looking at has a full (add-on) quilted thermal liner – most of my solo trips are in the winter

However, the thing that put me off was the unknown water tightness. I mean they seem to struggle nowadays to make regular tents watertight, let alone ones that have metal frames stretching the tarp. That seems like a recipe for disaster. Kind of glad I wasn’t imagining that to be a problem!

joefm

Are they better to sleep in than a tent though? I really hate normal tents. Too hot in summer, too cold any other time.

longdog
    Free Member

Useful in shetland where you can park a motor home at marinas but some have limited grass for a tent.

Funny, I complained to the funders of a lot of those ‘campsites’ in Shetland that have been developed at community halls and marinas that they’re not campsites, just parking area for motorhomes and caravans 🤣

No use for cycle tourists/backpackers camping.

Oh, but there’s usually some bit of grass somewhere abouts and you can use the facilities was the answer 🙄 Not really in most cases.

dknwhy

@benpinnick – I looked at importing one but for the sake of saving a few hundred (!) quid, I didn’t want the risk of any warranty issues and having to deal with an importer/international seller.

Tentbox are a well-known brand and so I hope they will be around for a while. I bought mine via Decathlon in a sale so paid less than the Tentbox price (10% off).

The build quality is good and the tent fabric is very thick. It repels water well. I’ll give mine a good clean down and retreat it in the spring. I think people have issues where they don’t look after it – either pack it away wet and let it go mouldy or don’t retreat the fabric as you should with all outdoor products. It’s an investment so needs to be looked after.

vmgscot

I must admit to roof-tent-envy on my last trips driving across north Africa.

It wasn’t lions that were the issue but more scorpions, snakes, camel spiders all seem to like the warmth coming out our Vango – or the packs of wild dogs in the Atlas mountains. Roof tenters never seemed to have those issues.

dknwhy

joefmFree Member
    Are they better to sleep in than a tent though? I really hate normal tents. Too hot in summer, too cold any other time.

Marginally. If you don’t like camping, it isn’t for you.

impatientbull

I had a TentBox for a couple of weeks a few years ago, bought direct. Used it once at TweedLove, it leaked in not particularly bad rain, I returned it. The return was agreed with the owner, a guy named Ollie. When I arrived at the warehouse at the arranged time he was nowhere to be seen. Eventually I found a guy who worked for a different company but shared the warehouse space who let me drop it off. He said the Ollie was never around on that day of the week and that he’d seen a few returned. Then I had to chase to get the refund processed. A poor, overpriced product sold by a badly run company. Would recommend avoiding.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 183 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.