• This topic has 2,363 replies, 165 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Tom-B.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 2,364 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season
  • mefty
    Free Member

It is worth looking at some of the Italian resorts from Turin, such as Gressoney – bit further than an hour but manageable – or in the other direction Sauze d’Oulx

hammerite
    Free Member

Fly to Innsbruck, lifts in the city to take you straight to the slopes. Lots of other resorts close by too, especially if you use the train.

Equally lots of close resorts to Salzburg for a weekend.

Innsbruck
    Salzburg

When I’ve looked into it flights have always been cheaper in to Salzburg than they are into Innsbruck.

hammerite
    Free Member

Chamrousse from Grenoble?

andytherocketeer

Was gonna suggest Innsbruck, but flights are often pricey and not well timed. I stay in the city centre (hotel reception still open at midnight-2am, which is handy since I drive down after work), then tend to drive 30-40mins to somewhere. Will be doing that in January, probably to Stubaital or Zillertal.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It is worth looking at some of the Italian resorts from Turin, such as Gressoney – bit further than an hour but manageable – or in the other direction Sauze d’Oulx

From Turin, push on a little further to Montgenevre or Serre Che. Way better than Sauze, IMHO.

Buzzard
    Free Member

Great – will have a look at Innsbruck/Salzburg

CFH – Ive seen you touting Serre Che on here but is there a fair bit for a romantic weekend away (other than just the skiing?) Plus what nicer hotels would we be looking at? Is Turin the best flight in?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

is there a fair bit for a romantic weekend away

Well, there are the baths at Monetier for a bit of a pamper – http://www.lesgrandsbains.fr/en/
    Ice rinks in most villages for some apres ski sliding around fun
    Nice hotels? Well, I stay at the Plein Sud. It’s not luxury, but clean, lovely and very friendly with excellent food at dinner. Truly excellent.
    Residence l’Adret is meant to be rather nice as well, though.

Oh, and great skiing and plenty of nice restaurants around (Chantemerle mainly)

grum
    Free Member

Thanks hammerite.

Anyone been to Passo Tonale in Italy? Sounds quite good according to the World Snowboard Guide, just wondering how it might be for my beginner ish GF. She can link turns but isn’t mega confident.

nbt

Passo Tonale is an excellent location for beginners, I learnt there. Not been back since so can’t say how good it is for more advanced skieers

stevomcd
    Free Member

Passo Tonale is definitely good for beginners. Lots of easy, cruisy pistes on the south-facing (resort) side of the road. Some really good off-piste on the glacier (north) side of the road and a good black run back down for more advanced skiers.

grum
    Free Member

Thanks folks. We’ll be boarding not skiing but it sounds promising. I’d be happy anywhere if there’s decent snow.

Seen some deals around £330 half board in reasonable looking places there.

nbt

You thinking of going at Christmas Grum? I’m keeping my eye on those deals too, if the price comes down enough we might be able to afford it

grum
    Free Member

Can’t go at Xmas itself but at some point around the xmas holidays. We could go together 🙂

stevomcd
    Free Member

I’m a snowboarder too. From what I remember (only been once, years ago) it was a decent place for snowboarding – no major flats, etc.

Sainte Foy is better though… 😉

grum
    Free Member

Sainte Foy is better though…

£330 half board (inc flights & transfers) available over the xmas holidays? 🙂

wallop

5 weeks on Sunday, w00t!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sooooo, what do we think of these then?

Oakley Airwave. GPS, Blueteeth, and you can answer your phone and txts while ur on a chrlft! AWSM!

Or not.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Sainte Foy is better though…

£330 half board (inc flights & transfers) available over the xmas holidays?

£435 half board including all booze, transfers and lift pass next week? (You said you can’t do Christmas?).

igrf
    Free Member

I’m in Innsbruch right now, at the Santa Cruz snowboard meeting, it’s had quite a dump, at least up to my arm pits, (which doesn’t mean it’s that deep), never ridden here before, done Axams a while back for a day, but I’m quite surprised (pleasantly) at just how much there is here and how easily accessible it is from the town.

igrf
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Oakley Airwave. GPS, Blueteeth, and you can answer your phone and txts while ur on a chrlft! AWSM!

Or not

Just the sort of thing that would appeal to our skiing brethren.. They can stay in touch with the office whilst they’re on the slopes. 😕 Do they get to answer emails with them? 😉

Bunnyhop

I last skied Passo Tonale in 1998.
    Back then a ski- doo towed up to 6 skiers upto the lift to get to the black run. I’m guessing this is health and safety hell now. Does anyone know if they have put in a little drag lift.

Hanging onto the back of a rope was such fun.

grum
    Free Member

Thanks stevomcd but I can’t get away in the next week or two sadly.

Quite tempted by Passo Tonale – skidoo sounds fun! I’m not sure they have the same concept of health and safety in Italy as we do.

Bunnyhop

I’m not sure they have the same concept of health and safety in Italy as we do.

Quite.

nedrapier

Hey stevo, any screaming deals for a splitboarding couple between btween 27th and the 1st/2nd? possibly 5th/6th?.

Chances are against it, but I’m very ready to be tempted! 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just the sort of thing that would appeal to our skiing brethren.. They can stay in touch with the office whilst they’re on the slopes. Do they get to answer emails with them?

OI! One of the many reasons I love skiing is that my work Crackberry stays firmly in the hotel safe! My boss is a skier as well, and he understands my reasoning. And my own is only used to arrange where to meet for lunch!

cynic-al
    Free Member

A mate is taking his family to Les Houches for 3 months from January, and has invited me over for a week or so, I’m skint and he’s offered to pick me up, loan me his Mrs’ pass, sleep on the spare bed etc.

I am skint (may become unemployed in Jan)…but it seems daft not to: all I need is flights, some money to spend & get them gifts & some day passes, am I being stupid in thinking I shouldn’t?

justatheory
    Free Member

A mate is taking his family to Les Houches for 3 months from January, and has invited me over for a week or so, I’m skint and he’s offered to pick me up, loan me his Mrs’ pass, sleep on the spare bed etc.

I am skint (may become unemployed in Jan)…but it seems daft not to: all I need is flights, some money to spend & get them gifts & some day passes, am I being stupid in thinking I shouldn’t?

Yes

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do it! Even more so if you lose your job. The escape and freedom of being on the slopes is priceless. My trip at the start of this year to Serre Che was a very much needed escape from certain things that had happened. We went, we skied hard, we ate well, we met old friends and the world span on a different axis. Escapism, but time and space to think within it.

Do it.

justatheory
    Free Member

Those goggles look brilliant, I want some.

See Al don’t listen to me, I’m impulsive and spend money on things I can’t afford.

wallop

I’ll be unemployed come January 1st. I’m still going skiing. 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ll be unemployed come January 1st. I’m still going skiing.

justatheory
    Free Member

I’m thinking of taking redundancy and spending the money on an 11 week ski instructor course in New Zealand 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just the advice I was hoping for chaps, thanks! 😀

Anyone going to be in that area in 2013? When would the best time be for good snow/fewest bloody French school kids?

justatheory
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

justa, that chart is essential reading for anyone going to France. IIRC, someone did a full European version, didn’t they?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Most helpful, thanks. I’m guessing the French would be the largest contingent in Chamonix Valley?

Is the last week in January a bit risky snow-wise?

nedrapier

I’m guessing the French would be the largest contingent in Chamonix Valley?

Probably. Brits and Scandies not far behind, though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cham? Haven’t the Russians taken over there yet?

Digby

I’m thinking of taking redundancy and spending the money on an 11 week ski instructor course in New Zealand

Do it! You know it makes sense. 😀

I was made redundant a few years ago and did a NONSTOP course in Canada – absolutely loved it. Life is too short to miss out on an opportunity like this!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 2,364 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season’ is closed to new replies.