Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 339 total)
  • The STW Ski and Snowboard thread: 2022-2023 Season
  • colp

Ortovox are doing a free Avalanche safety booklet if you sign up to their mailing list.
    Seems pretty decent.

I’ve just downloaded my copy here, not sure if the link will work without signing up?

https://ortovox.com/ORTOVOX/mediaroom/Guidebooks/SAGB_Snow/OVX_SAGB_Snow_EN.pdf

ads678

Yes it does. Ta, bit of bedtime reading.

jimdubleyou

Looking for short transfer alternatives to Morzine/Les Gets (since it seems the whole town is booked up at the beginning of March when we can get away for a long weekend).

Looking at Isola – anybody been?

Also, Heidi.com seems to have some good value deals – anybody used them before and had positive experience? Trust pilot is overwhelmingly positive for them, but not heard of them before this year so not sure

tuboflard

If you’ve got flights @jimdubleyou booked to Geneva then Isola isn’t a realistic option. I’d be looking at somewhere like Flaine, Grand Bornand, La Clusaz or Saint Gervais. SG has the option of also doing a day at Les Contamines which is a great little area and generally gets overlooked for bigger resorts nearby.

jimdubleyou

Not booked flights yet, so could go via Nice.

highlandman
    Free Member

Turin for Gressoney in the Aosta..? Rent a car and stay at the hotel Dufour, which I’ve done before.
    Chairlift right by the hotel and easy access into the centre of a broad network, the Monte Rosa region.
    Sauze/Sestriere would also be an easy drive up from Turin.

nbt

Seconded, great skiingin Monterosa and the dufour is a LOVELY hotel

highlandman
    Free Member

Lift passes and espressos are a lot cheaper on the southern side of the Alps and Italian lunches… Well.
    There’s a good mix of terrain; a visit down to Alagna is an experience in itself, such a bonny wee mountain village. Champoluc is a bit more sophisticated and is busier, more of a ski town. The skiing itself is both moderate and also as hairy as you want; some of the best backcountry access in the Alps with a couple of overnighting huts within easy reach. I wouldn’t go there every year, far from it but it is a special place.

canny1
    Free Member

Went to Isola 2000 over New year for a couple of nights. Drove up from Nice, not the prettiest resort but it actually served us well for a snowboard introduction for our 9yr old twins. Got an appt for Eu100 per night overlooking the slopes/beginners area. Snow was good but we obv didn’t venture far at all with two complete novices in tow. I did a lot of running up and down the slopes those first two days with them. When they had finally cracked the beginner drag lift on the second afternoon, mum and me could finally get on our boards too.
    It was our first time back on boards since the kids were born.
    Logistical nightmare getting everyone ready to go out on the slopes each time but we have already booked the appt to do the same next New Year, so it must have gone alright

boxelder

We’re off to Sansicario (Sauze d’Oux) soon. Flights to Turin and car hire to Air BnB.
    Anyone familiar with Sansicario? I know it’s small, but part of ‘Milky Way’. Any tips appreciated, as fairly new to all this.

Edukator
    Free Member

Hautecam isn’t the kind of ski resort you’d travel across a continent to ski at – even if people travel from all over the world just to ride the road up to it. There’s a 10km X-C loop and few button lifts to access a few kms of very pleasant pistes. It’s like a trip back to the early 80s. It’s at only 1600m, has no tree cover and is very exposed to sun and wind. Climatic change will close it before long.

All that said when there’s fresh cold snow it’s great. It snowed a few days ago, has been cold since and the weather today was anounced calm, cold and sunny – the day to go, 1°C when we parked up. The legs felt fine, the heart and lungs seemed to be working, and the ski waxing was spot on:

sprootlet
    Free Member

@boxelder
    We’ve been to Sansicario but it was about 18 years ago. At the time it had 1 hotel, 1 restaurant and 1 bar. We had booked for Sestiere but got bumped to Sansicario due to overbooking 3 days before we were due to leave.
    I think we saw 1 piste marker all week but I do remember some lovely treelined skiing.
    I am sure the place has improved since we were there but it was no sestiere and that made for a bunch of grumpy ski holidaymakers

boxelder

Thanks for the heads up. We were heading to Saulze D’oux, but then Mrs B saw accomm on Air BnB she fancied (no WiFi and three teens for a week…..). We’ll have a car and the lift pass covers the whole Milky Way area – Sauce, Sestrierre, Mt Genevre etc, so I think things have moved on. Not bothered about apes ski especially.

ads678

Wait, you have 3 teens and DON’T want WiFi?!?!?

phil5556

Well we’re coming to the end of a week in Cervinia, last day tomorrow.

It’s been mega windy and a lot of the lifts shut. Only one day we could get over to Zermatt in the afternoon, some days only 3 lifts open.
    Went to Pila yesterday which was a nice change and actually managed to get some decent boarding in and getting a taxi to Valtournenche tomorrow in the hope that it’s a better over there.

Overall a great week with friends but the boarding / skiing has been very disappointing.

phil5556

ads678

Anyone know anywhere other than ebay good for buying 2nd hand snowboard stuff?

igm

What do you want?  Someone on here is bound to have something.

ads678

I’m gonna buy a set of Flow bindings* but want to see whats going second hand. Got to be fairly new and not bottom of the range. Basically I want some of the new Nidecker ones, but they’re not in stock anywhere and they cost a bloody fortune, so might buy a set of 2nd hand flows for now and get some Nidecker ones later….

*I’m sick of sitting down to strap up all the time. Actually I generally don’t sit down and do them up standing, but i’m feeling very old and stiff and want to make it easier for myself nowadays!!…..

igm

I’m flipping between Now and Flow at the moment.  Neither for sale at the moment.

I prefer the Flow until you get damp snow which packs in them really easily.  Yes you can strap in and out, but the Now does that better.

But most of the time the Flow is better speed off the lift and more comfortable.

Just remember to flip the back up as you go through the lift pass gate getting on.

ads678

yeah, think I’m ready to go down the rear entry route (😨🙄) nowadays. The last couple of seasons have shown me I’m not getting any younger, so I need something to change, fitness mostly, but just less faffing as well….

I know they or flows won’t be perfect, but those Nidecker ones could be a game changer for me. Just need them in stock.

Cheers nbt, think those ones have sold now though. I’ll keep my eye on there though.

Edukator
    Free Member

Busy, busy, busy. All the zones on holiday together makes this the busiest week of the year. Juniors feet are spending over 60 hours a week in boots so we went shopping for some new ones. Failed to find any comfy boarding boots but picked up some Tecnica Cochise light free rando boots for instructing lower levels. They’re GripWalk so I’ve been through our skis to check compatibility with alpine bindings.
    The good news: compatible with Marker F10, Marker Esquire and some old Look.
    Bad news: totally incompatible with all our Head and Atomic race ski bindings. The boot soles completely miss the slide plates and stick like glue on the imobile part of the binding – imposible to knock the boot out of the binding which I can normally do easily up to Din 11.

Looks like ski manufacturers have discovered how to make money out of changing standards like mtb manufacturers. Up until now the alpine standard hadn’t changed since the 60s. My current Head Raptor boots work perfectly in the 1966 Look bindings on Rossignol Médaille de Bronze skis with screwed on edges.

bajsyckel

Was just thinking this thread was a bit quiet and up it pops. Not a vintage season at home or elsewhere seemingly 🙁 Mid term holidays, most of Europe is off – someone must be enjoying the snow somewhere while the rest of us slave at work? Anyone got any up to date pictures/reports?

Edukator
    Free Member

Western Pyrénées: It’s dark outside so all I can see are the Pisten Bully hedlights. Today snow on piste was well-worn, much reworked but perfectly skiable, and off-piste it was lumpy bumpy moguls within easy reach of lifts and crusty refrozen transformed yuk beyond.

Old snow with no more forecast.

oldtennisshoes

Just starting our second season jaunt to Cervinia. Blue skies and reasonable on piste conditions, but thin in places and warmer than feels comfortable. Quelle surprise and the irony isn’t lost either 😕

ceepers

I’m in Megeve / St Gervais this week so quite low. It’s really warm. 12 degrees at 1500m today.

Blue bird sunshine so my girls are enjoying that but the snow is pretty ropey. Lots of south facing pistes are brown snow or grass / shut. It’s super slushy by after lunch. Feels like bitter end of season snow.

Lift company must be tressed about the rest of the season!

Pics here……

https://www.instagram.com/p/ConLeXWLmEl/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

epynt
    Free Member

I’m off to Austria for 9 days tomorrow. Looks like it will be warmer in St Anton than it will be back in West Wales.

cchris2lou

Alpe D Huez for a week on sunday.

Locals resorts in Massif central are busy but snow is melting fast.

scuttler

Skiwelt running well! Pretty hard in the morning and south facing getting battered in the afternoon but considering the low elevation it seems to be holding up very well. Very rare brown patches and all the valley runs are open.

Bright blue skies and lift thermometers showing 8-10C midday so it is warm and you can ski in a jumper out of the shade. Probably not boding well for the rest of the season though.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Had my second trip of the season last week. Family trip to LaTania at NY and Zermatt last week with a few mates. Pistes were great, off piste was thin and old. I’m sure with a guide, good off piste could have been found. It was a short trip with a few piste skiers so that wasn’t on the cards. Zermatt is a lovely place to ski. Great modern lift system, big mountains, big lifts, long runs. We had great weather, and it was still cold. Next trip Easter, La Plagne. I May need to hide a bike in the car if there isn’t more snow!

Akers

Got back from Val d’Isere on Sunday. No fresh snow in the last 3 weeks, pistes are hard and icy in many places in Val, Tignes was a little better. We had a pretty good week, bluebird skies everyday, but with no snow snow forecast for next 2 weeks, it’s going to be sketchy for those going anytime soon.

sprootlet
    Free Member

@cchris2lou
    If you need/want a lesson in Alpe D’Huez then I would recommend an English guy who works for ESF called Cookie.

He is one of the best (top 3) instructors I have ever had ! We had a private lesson with him, 3 people with very different abilities and all of us had a great lesson, had individual things to work on and he was superb at spotting things to improve.

I cannot recommend him enough !

nbt

I’m sure with a guide, good off piste could have been found

Off piste in many places is treacherous at the moment, there’ve been a few fatal falls due to the recent weather – including the director of Aiguille Du Midi cable car at Chamonix, a person who you would expect to have better knowldege of the ski conditions
    https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=163608

ceepers

It really is ridiculously warm and slushy…….

Holds a fair edge though….

TheDTs
    Free Member

I love spring snow…… In spring!

cchris2lou

Thanks Sproolet, Wife and Kids might need lessons.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Bloodyhell creepers. I assumed that second photo was someone lying down after a fall!
    Impressive riding

Third year in a row that we’ve not done our family Feb half term holiday. Wean has his prelims next week 🙁

I was thinking of trying for an easter trip but it looks so dire everywhere that I reckon there’ll be sod all left by then. I’m sure some places will be closing early.

Have looked into Riks, but the flights are £450 each and the fly/ train option takes almost 2 days

Hmphhh

colp

Austria has snow forecast for the last week of February

Edukator
    Free Member

At what altitude? Looking at forecast temperatures it’s going to be rain all this weekend up to about 2500 and a few snow showers that won’t change a lot on 26/2. Pretty much the same in the French Alps.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 339 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.