The Sky is falling!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • The Sky is falling!
  • Or at least they’re pulling out of sponsoring Team Sky at the end of 2019!

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

Interesting, especially as they did a load of contract renewals recently. I can’t see them finding a like for like replacement backer either.

Premier Icon twistedpencil
    Subscriber

I can see a great opportunity here for Superdrug to step into the title sponsor role…

Superdrug will not have the funds to go it alone. How about a joint venture with Jiffy.

Ro5ey

Good … that means I’ll be able to square my weird moral compass and support them now.

Klunk

sponsorship troubles seems to be a growing issue within the pro peloton (though in truth much like f1 it probably always has been).

They should get Nike on board as a replacement given their love of drug cheats.

Premier Icon robbo1234biking
    Subscriber

I think they will start to struggle with funding now like the rest of the peleton unless they already have someone lined up to take over the team.

Klunk

Team Abu Dhabi/ Team Abramovich ?

Premier Icon benpinnick
    Subscriber

The problem with road riding is that your wins generate a lot less headlines than your issues.

Team sportsdirect, Would be hilarious.

sponsorship troubles seems to be a growing issue within the pro peloton (though in truth much like f1 it probably always has been).

The irony being that McLaren have just signed up to sponsor Merida!

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

I predicted this in the TdF thread.

Told ya’s.

All the hassle with Brad and StemBouy…

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

I’ve guessing it’s more to do with Sky being acquired and the new owners not seeing the value (I’m not sure it actually made much commercial sense in the first place, was more a pet project of Murdoch jr). Shame it’s such short notice though, a year will disappear quickly and it won’t just affect the Sky riders – they’re all good enough to get places in other World Tour teams, it’s the guys trying to get into a World Tour team for the first time or who are borderline that will end up losing their place.

Ultimately though whilst I admire pro riders talent and dedication I’m not sure cycling is a wise career choice.

legend

a year will disappear quickly and it won’t just affect the Sky riders – they’re all good enough to get places in other World Tour teams, it’s the guys trying to get into a World Tour team for the first time or who are borderline that will end up losing their place.

Or the team continues to operate under a new name and a more sensible budget.

Anyway, Froome to Astana

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Or the team continues to operate under a new name and a more sensible budget.

That’s what I’d assume.

It’ll certainly make things more interesting, eh?

garyfisher

The French will be pleased.

k1100t

Got to think Team Sky will want to bag all three grand tours to go out on a high.

Klunk

Got to think Team Sky will want to bag all three grand tours to go out on a high.

froome won’t be happy having to defend the Giro 😉 and G is not a shoe in against a fresh TD

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Froome to Bahrain then 🤣🤔

Nibbali to #notSky 👍🔥

Its a deal done I reckon..

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

An agent’s perspective, obviously they will be worried about the Sky money drying up…

‘David Brailsford could have a sponsor up his sleeve, but riders will need to know by May’

Hard to see who’s gonna step in with £30m-plus p/a, but you never know.

Premier Icon igm
    Subscriber

How long before wearing a Sky jersey is acceptably retro?

bukobuko

The french are never happy, The TDF wont happen without incident, Or it might not happen at all.

footflaps

Team Ofo with Deliveroo as a co-sponser would be very 21st Century

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Hard to see who’s gonna step in with £30m-plus p/a, but you never know.

Uber ?

AirBnB ?

Could pick up passengers along the way and drop them off at destination, then collect on return journey?

#gizabackie

FunkyDunc

Team Audi A6 Avant or Pizza Oven?

Never understood Sky when they don’t even have it at the head of their brand.

+ Sky currently going belly up as less people are subscribing with them

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

+ Sky currently going belly up

Sold for £30bn this year.
    https://www.ft.com/content/b402969a-cbd5-11e8-b276-b9069bde0956

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

+ Sky currently going belly up as less people are subscribing with them

Fewer people. Not less. Honestly, some people.
    And no, they’re not.

Team Sky’s operating budget of £30 million (ish) is a tiny percentage of the annual global advertising spend of Sky. In the UK alone, Sky spent nearly £200 million on traditional advertising streams, they’re the UK’s biggest spender above Proctor & Gamble, McDonalds, BT….

Honestly, £30 million is loose change to them.

footflaps

+ Sky currently going belly up

Results this year were decent..

Sky dispelled any notion that the bidding war had derailed performance with 500,000 new customers joining the company in the past year. “We are excited about our opportunities no matter what our future ownership is. We are not slowing down,” said chief executive Jeremy Darroch.

The broadcaster said that revenues grew 5 per cent to £13.5bn in the year to June, topping expectations of 4 per cent, while pre-tax profit increased to £864m from £803m. Earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation improved 9 per cent to £2.3bn, beating expectations of a 7 per cent rise.

The financial strength came in spite of a £2 decline in its average revenue per user in the UK and a €2 dip in Germany over the course of the year. Mr Darroch argued that a reduction in costs, which fell by 70 basis points as a percentage of revenue, offset the slight decline.

Premier Icon flange
    Subscriber

Honestly, £30 million is loose change to them.

I always find this quote quite amusing (and not having a go at your statement specifically Crazy-legs). I work for a company that turns over $10m a day in Europe, $10bn per year globally (which a quick Google shows is similar to Sky). Ok, so that’s turnover and not profit and I don’t know what Sky’s net sales are, however I know that we would certainly care about $30m off our bottom line whether it be marketing or otherwise.

Yes, Sky spend an awful lot of money on advertising but a) we don’t know how much revenue sponsoring a team like Sky generates and b) we don’t know what cuts they’re making to other area’s of their marketing budget. I’m willing to bet a TV ad run with Idris Elbow is a fair bit cheaper than sponsoring Froome et al and I guarantee it brings in more punters (note: I am not a marketing expert). I’d imagine post buy-out and inline with the falling number of subscribers, belts are being tightened, senior management are replaced and stuff like sponsoring a cycling team (which was a bit of a vanity project if I remember correctly) get canned.

It’s pretty sad for all the riders on the team and also because of the impact it’ll have on British cycling (both the organization and cycling in the UK in general) but following the debacle with Jiffybag gate, Froomes AAF and Brailsford being a bit of a helmet it’s not a surprise…

nicko74

I’ve guessing it’s more to do with Sky being acquired and the new owners not seeing the value (I’m not sure it actually made much commercial sense in the first place, was more a pet project of Murdoch jr).

This – it’s a pure business decision. Comcast has zero interest in cycling, and will be desperate to try to make efficiencies somewhere, as they massively overpaid for Sky.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

So do we think Dave B will stay if they’re reduced to a paltry £15m a year or something like that?
    I’d quite like to see how they can cut it on a more average budget.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

What’ll be interesting is to see how they ride if they get to The Tour (arguably The Giro) with no new sponsor in place. Their current style relies on them working for the greater good, when riders need to earn a new contract elsewhere some may fly solo.

trumpton

team vegan for the win.

scruff9252

Could we see team Astrazeneca / Glaxosmithkline taking over, just for the bantz?

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

What’ll be interesting is to see how they ride if they get to The Tour (arguably The Giro) with no new sponsor in place. Their current style relies on them working for the greater good, when riders need to earn a new contract elsewhere some may fly solo.

They’re a registered UCI World Tour team, they’re contractually obliged to ride the Giro, Tour and Vuelta and the funding is in place for all of that. Obviously everyone else now knows that either a load of riders are up for grabs once transfer season opens or a new sponsor is needed so there’ll be interest from other teams (looking for riders) and other sponsonrs (looking to invest).

If the team start playing silly buggers, in-fighting or riding for themselves, it’ll very quickly show up and no-one will be interested in taking on a selfish or disruptive rider.

tpbiker

willing to bet a TV ad run with Idris Elbow is a fair bit cheaper than sponsoring Froome et al and I guarantee it brings in more punters

Hmm..I’m not assure about that. Think about the exposure team sky get in the media. Granted some of it has been negative recently, but for at least 3 weeks every summer they are pretty much headliners on every sports page in the country.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.