Viewing 40 posts - 6,481 through 6,520 (of 7,710 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • lunge

First night back at the club in about a year tonight, fear is kicking in.

How did it go?
    Our club run was more than a little tasty last night. 11 miles, 7:20’s from the start and a sprint finish for the last mile.
    The beer in the club house at the end has rarely tasted better.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s tonight @lunge!

johndoh
    Free Member

Trying my best to keep a focus on running over the winter months (I usually end up not running then restarting in spring). Anyway, I have just found a great tow path run I can do which starts almost right outside the office (in central Leeds) so I am now running twice a week on there (shorter runs on my lunch break so no more than four miles) to supplement my longer weekend runs – the hope is to get my pace back to circa. 8min miles on longer (8 mile +) runs. It was a challenge getting out in it this week though with all the horrendous weather we have had.

surfer
    Free Member

What club do you run for @lunge ? I may be wrong but I thought I recalled you were not far from me, Wirral.

Our Wirral AC Monday night runs (10) were similar. It was made clear what you were getting into but after a couple of easy miles the pace got quicker and quicker and the last few miles were very fast indeed. Some quality local lads turned up for that. Our Liverpool Pembroke runs were even better and at the time we had a lot of very quick lads 980’s and early 90’s) We had a (measured by car) 7.4 mile route from Kirkby stadium, though Aintree, up to Walton Vale then back through Fazakerley. Sub 40 was seen as a decent time and even though I ran inside 39 mins on a couple of occasions I was always in the last few….

Pyro

Not my running but others – convinced two mates to come out orienteering left night, the local club’s regular 1hr evening event. One of them brought another friend with them, so we ran as a four, working on the navigation and having a good chat on the way.

Turned out one of them hasn’t run in a year, and had pretty sore feet because his aged trainers are well past their useful life, but everyone really enjoyed it and everyone’s coming along next week!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well, that was interesting.

As expected, I was blowing out my arse on the first effort (12 mins) and I pretty much eased off and ran with a fellow lapsed club member for the rest of the 6 mile run.

Great to be back though and meet club folks I’ve not seen since pre covid, and it’s the kick up the arse I’ve needed for ages, feels like I’m back in it. I used to be top quarter of the thu night group, not dead last! 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Decathlon – it has worked fine for me so far.

This one

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s been asked and answered on here before but can anyone steer me towards a good couch to marathon in 26 weeks type app?

I’m sure it’s here but with a 160 something pages, it’s not easy to find.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Can’t help with that Onzadog but my marathon is only 16 weeks away so I’m pleased to be running sub-38 for a 10k already (Blackburn today). Need to get a lot of miles in the legs between now and then but it’s a decent starting point.

piemonster

Another asking about jackets, anyone used the Montane Spine jacket?

Looking for something that’ll cope with foul winter hill running in Scotland.

Have been using a Salomon Gore Tex of some description but the hood is inadequate. Tempted by a lightweight proper mountain jacket if I dont find something built for purpose.

turboferret

My race jacket is a Gore Active Shell, the breathability is absolutely incredible.  My typical winter jacket is an OMM Kamleika which is almost as breathable, but is soft, stretchy and quiet.  I’ve heard good things about the Montane Spine jacket – I think the fabric is the same as my Gore, but it has quite a few more features.

piemonster

Cheers @turboferret appreciated

lunge

Embarrassment on a Teams call today.

Doorbell goes in the background, “sorry all, just need to get the door, I think it’s a delivery”.

Walk back to the office, turn video back on, “more running shoes is it, lunge?”

“Err, maybe…”

“You’re always getting new shoes delivered, don’t you have enough pairs already? Where are you going to hide this pair from your wife.”

This from people who only know me through video calls. It appears I maybe do have a problem…

On the upside, Adidas Adios 6 for £60 and they feel lovely.

jam-bo

thats me done for the year, furthest I’ve ever run in a year by a long way.

1200.2 km.

25867m elevation

177runs.

now a week off and probably less running and more biking next year.

duckman

Omm Kamleika for winter in Scotland for me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Check these badboys!

ooft

I Need to get a bit faster though, canny be ambling along in those! 😆

Spin
    Free Member

Omm Kamleika for winter in Scotland for me

The old ones of these were great but the newer ones seem to fall apart pretty quickly. I had one that lasted 2 runs, the replacement lasted 4 and I got a refund after that.

surfer
    Free Member

Hopefully you all got out for a few miles on Xmas day. Remember our greatest never had an easy day 🙂 True story.

An old classic Christmas tale told by Seb Coe:

“In the winter of 1979, during the lead-up to the Olympic Games in Moscow, I remember training on Christmas Day.

It was a harsh winter (harsh enough to bring down a government) but I ran 12 miles on Christmas morning. It was a hard session and I got home, showered and felt pretty happy with what I had done.

Later that afternoon, sitting back after Christmas lunch, I began to feel uneasy but was not quite sure why. Suddenly it dawned on me. I thought: “I bet Steve Ovett’s out there doing his second training session of the day.” I put the kit back on, faced the snow and ice and did a second training session. I ran several miles, including some hill work.

Not long ago, over supper in Melbourne, I told him the story. He laughed. ‘Did you only go out twice that day?’ he asked.”

stcolin
    Free Member

Just got myself some new trail shoes, Saucony Peregrine 11’s. Really nice fit, but garish colourway. Got them from RNW, on sale as the 12’s are out in January. Assisted by Mr Dave Norman himself.

Been having pain again in both knees now from tendonisits. Quad type in my right knee, seems to flair up once a week at the minute. The pain in my left knee has moved almost to the inside egde of my knee. Been trying to do strengthening on both.

marksnook
    Free Member

Planning to up my weekly mileage this year, well time as much as anything to train for my first ultra. I will need to do more hill work I think though. There is a climb up through the woods that is probably 1km long, was just planning on running repeats of that once a week, maybe start with 3 or 4 climbs and build from there. Am I going about it the right the way?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Some good offers on the Nike website – couple of trail shoes (terra kiger and wild horse) half price in most sizes.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve been getting back into running over the past few weeks, gearing up for a spring marathon.

Did a slightly disappointing 10k race a couple of days ago, but found out that (due to having just had a birthday) it’s my highest ever WAVA at that distance! Result!

I can embrace getting older and probably slower, so long as the age beats the slow-down 🙂

Not completely given up on the possibility of any more true PBs but they are going to be tough from here on I think.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just read that Joss Naylor suffered a stroke a few days back, god I hope he’s okay, an incredible man. 💙

Spin
    Free Member

Just read that Joss Naylor suffered a stroke a few days back, god I hope he’s okay, an incredible man.

Sorry to hear that. Have you got his new book? It’s lovely. https://www.cicerone.co.uk/joss-naylors-lakes-meres-and-waters-of-the-lake-district

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not yet Spin.

dashed
    Free Member

Just read about Joss – sad news.

That’s me fine for the year too:
    1,004km
    30,134m ascent.

Same distance as last year but 3x the elevation.

cat69uk
    Free Member

Sadly done for the year, due to walking into the corner of a stool yesterday and now my leg is shagged!
    784 miles
    125 runs
    137 hours
    64,245ft ascent

Not bad with 3 months out injured and then 4 months of trying to get going again. New Year, start afresh.

dogbone

Distance 1262km

Time 113h

Elev gain 25098m

Runs 169

And that’s with 2 months off with Covid & Asthma. Was hoping to go for the 1000mile /year but I stopped enjoying running and was just chasing distance. So stopped.

lunge

The stats are in:
    2,779.1 miles ran
    106,296 ft elevation
    515 runs
    PB’s in 1 mile, 5k, 10k, half marathon, full marathon

Would have easily hit the 3k mark had I not got injured and ran a mere 24 miles in May.

And, in order to keep my reputation as the resident shoe geek, the top shoes of the year were:
    Nike Pegasus 36. Not new, not exciting, but the best Peg yet and still my go-to shoe for knocking out the miles. I think I’m on to my 4th pair this year.
    Nike Vaporfly V1. Again, not a brand new shoe, but having run in most of the super shoes this is still the benchmark for fast shoes. I prefer the upper on V1 to V2, most others would disagree.
    Adidas SL20. My default fast/tempo training shoe. A pretty basic shoe, but it’s great for faster efforts and club runs.
    Adidas Adios 6. A late addition as I’ve only had my pair a month, but by gosh they are awesome. Fast, well padded, brilliant grip. I can see me owning a few more pairs of these over the coming year.

nickjb
    Free Member

The end of my first year. Started running in January when the lockdown kicked in and the mtb trails were washed out. Haven’t run since school and that was a long time ago and I was at the back of the pack then.

Started with the Nike app and did some slow build up runs to get to up to 5k. Usually doing around 3 runs a week. Dropped off a little in summer as I got more riding in. In autumn I started the 100 days of exercise challenge, also tried running a bit a slower to keep my heart rate lower. That led to upping the distance and doing quite a few 10k runs. Also lets me run with the Mrs who likes a slower pace. She’s had a good running year too.

I only bought a Garmin watch in march so don’t have full year stats but I’ve done 605km since march, probably around 700km over all. 101km per month for Nov and Dec.

It’s been good. Not as dull as I thought it would be. The 10k runs have let me explore a bit more. Also done a few off road runs and some night runs with a head torch. I’ve been using Citystrides to track local runs and try new streets.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Well done all.

872 miles with 47972ft of up over 170 runs. Comfortably the most miles I’ve done in a year as I seem to ride less and less. Will aim for 1000 in 2022.

sirromj

Realized toward the end of the year it was potentially possible for me to run 300 miles but a minor knee ailment put that idea to bed. Got to 283 miles, last run today, but another run where my calves and ankles felt tight/unwilling. Maybe I need to start doing calf raises regularly? I was starting to up my distance toward the end of summer and was enjoying running but through autumn I feel it’s started going south, I’ve been trying to run slower more to fend off aches and pains, but all that’s happened is I feel slower, and there’s more aches & pains! Probably half psychology, winter etc. I’ve been cycling far less, wonder if the mainly low/steady effort commutes were beneficial, then without them an increase in sitting at desk WFH.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Well done on your achievements everyone. That was my first proper full year of running as I had Covid in December last year and had a month off. Reached my 1000 mile target on 30th so could rest on NYE.

Distance: 1000 miles – PB
    Parkrun: 19:15 – PB
    5k: 19:35 – PB
    10k: 39:33 – PB (never again)
    Marathon: 3:47 – PB
    Ultra: 63km – PB
    Ascent: About 12000m – PB

flyingmonkeycorps

Been up and down for me running this year, with Covid, a super stressful house move and a very demanding toddler. Managed 114 miles over the year which is obviously a long way off most on here, but I’ve had big chunks (like over a month at a time) with no running at all.

Went out yesterday for a 10k which was my first run in a couple of weeks, and I’m definitely feeling it now. Brutal headwind for a mile or so, and some steps to run up too. Brilliant to be out though, really enjoyed it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYJ1qaLt5mJ/?utm_medium=share_sheet

(no idea if Insta link will work)

Aim for 2022 is to run more regularly. If I can run at least once every week I reckon I’ll be happy. I’m not a fan of specific goals as I just get stressed about achieving them, which sucks the fun out of it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Awesome stuff roots, and well done everyone else too!.

A poor 500 odd miles for me this year, less than half my usual. Back on the horse is this year’s target, hoping for a place in the jura fell race, that would give me the boot in the baws I need!.

rocco

Thought this was best place to ask rather than starting a new thread. New Year so decided to start back running and I can’t find my old tom-tom watch so looking at replacing with a new one. Around the £100 mark and I’ve found the following, anyone able to help make a decision with real world feedback?

Garmin forerunner 45 for £120
    Garmin forerunner 45plus for £130
    Garmin forerunner 55 for £130

Or an Amazfit Trex Pro for £130???? (I know nothing about this just liked the name)

Plenty of 2nd hand watches around bur I’d rather buy new for peace of mind. Watch will purely be for running so no need for multisport functions

mrsheen
    Free Member

Most consistent year. Several Long races in lakes and peaks re definitely helped provide a training focus.

Distance: 1,000 miles
    Elevation: 17,000m
    36 mile ultra: 11 hours
    50 mile ultra 15 hours
    Off road marathon 6 hours

Good effort all 👍

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

rocco – the 45 is enough for me. You can programme intervals either on the watch or via the app, which syncs with it. I’ve found the GPS tracking reliable, the wrist heart rate monitor less so. Battery life could be better too but for me these are fairly minor negatives.

nickjb
    Free Member

The wife has the 45s and its a great watch for the basic running functions. I went for a fenix as it has a few nice extra features and great customisation but these are nice rather than essential (although I wouldn’t want a watch without them now). I wouldn’t write off second hand. That’s how I got mine and its been great for a fraction of the new cost.

Viewing 40 posts - 6,481 through 6,520 (of 7,710 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.