Viewing 39 posts - 6,441 through 6,479 (of 6,479 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • Premier Icon stcolin
    Free Member

I need new trail shoes. I have had Inov8 Roclite 290s, but they have fallen apart and weren’t that comfy. They were light, and fairly grippy on all but the softest terrain.

Does anyone have experience with Hoka? I usually take a stability shoe and I have quite flat feet.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

First parkrun in about 2 years this saturday, I reckon I’ll be at least 3 minutes slower as well. Oh well, need to start somewhere. 🙂

Premier Icon surfer
    Free Member

@stcolin

Ran in Hokas for a few years mainly because I have arthritis in my big toe joints and the thick and slightly stiff forefoot in the most Hokas helped. Many shoes do a larger midsole and some have a carbon plate which means I dont have to run in Hokas anymore for the sake of my toes so gradually moving away from them.
    My experience however was quite good and I ran in most of the models. I think the latest version of the Speedgoat is my favourite but all of them (other than the Bondi which I didnt get on with and the Stinson which was ridiculously high) were very good. Good grip and cushioning and much less cumbersome than they look so actually pretty good to run in.
    Only downside is that you cant get up any speed so not great for faster paced efforts also the high stack height means you can turn your ankle easily and not great off camber.

Premier Icon mtbqwerty
    Free Member

Evening all

My trusty Garmin 910XT could do with replacing/repairing.

I’ve had a look at the latest generation of fitness watches, and they all look like they’re all day wearables with a host of new data to worry about (resting heart rates, recovery etc). Im toying with the idea of asking Santa for a new watch, or just trying to bodge a repair.

Do you (personally) look at this new data, or is it just an additional distraction? I don’t wear a watch for anything other than exercise, so I can’t see me getting much benefit, unless it’s a game changer.

Free Member

I pay attention to my body battery, and also my RHR, sleep monitoring is also handy.

Not a massive need, I just like it.

Premier Icon shortbread_fanylion

My garmin forerunner battery is so terrible I don’t think it’d last a day!

Premier Icon lunge

Thought a short summary of Lunge’s Black Friday running shoes bargains my interest some.

On the Nike app with the code GAME21, all in limited colours:
    Alphafly’s – £155. Clearly not cheap, but a very good price for that shoe.
    Invincible – £98.
    Pegasus 38’s – £57. Bargain for an every day trainer

Pro-Direct have some interesting options too.
    New Balance RC Elite 2, £176
    Nike Vaporfly’s – £180

The pick for me at Adidas is:
    SL20 2.0, £60. I really enjoyed this as a cheap tempo shoe, worth a look

I’ll add more if I see any today.

Premier Icon surfer
    Free Member

Probably the greatest runner of all time. It was shown in London but not sure yet how to watch it. Cant wait.

Emil Zatopek and Ron Clarke

Premier Icon mogrim
    Free Member

Do you (personally) look at this new data, or is it just an additional distraction? I don’t wear a watch for anything other than exercise, so I can’t see me getting much benefit, unless it’s a game changer.

Yeah, I do. I like to keep an eye on RHR. And the step counter keeps me honest. It does mean wearing it 24×7, but that doesn’t bother me.

DC Rainmaker has just published his annual guide to sports watches, worth a look:
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/11/best-gps-sport-smartwatches-recommendations-guide-2021.html

Premier Icon aldo56
    Free Member

Started running again recently after a 15 year hiatus. I’m absolutely loving it!

I did the Scottish Island Peaks Race way back when I was still in school (pre Strava unfortunately) but haven’t really run since.

I’m finding my bike fitness has transferred over quite well but it took a few months for the legs to build up and be able to stress the lung properly. Ran a 49 minute 10km during the week there but felt like there was quite a bit more left in the tank.

I’ve not touched the turbo this year at all yet – much preferring going out for a run around the city in the evenings. I think the best bit about running is how little faffing, driving around and kit there is compared with riding bikes…

What is the suggested distance for a warm up before an effort? I’ve just been running a bit slower for the first 2KM or so when going out but I feel like this maybe isn’t enough?

Premier Icon edward2000
    Free Member

RE Hokas i asked the question a few months back about what trail shoes to use. I’d never heard of Hoka back then, but now i absolutely love the Speedgoat 4. Grippy everywhere except very soft/muddy ground, very comfortable, and my park run (Lyme Park, a trail run) times came down a bit too. I was using Salomon ones previously which would fall apart after exposure to UV. Im probably not good enough to notice what surfer says about them being restrictive in speed however.

Premier Icon root-n-5th

I have some speedgoats. I think they run very well on dry trails. It are terrible in mud and just clag up quickly, increasing the stack height even more. I never noticed them being unstable due to height.
    However, my toes run on the outside even on the wide fit. They are not foot shape so I have moved to Altra, which are and no more rubbing.

As for speed, I got a parkrun PB of 15 seconds wearing my inov-8 claw things in mild mud. They are light, but just shows you that the right footwear for the conditions can give you speeeed.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

No running for me this weekend – the pavements are lethal out there (top end of Harrogate) and it isn’t going to get above freezing all day. Fingers crossed this snow/iced up slush thaws quickly so I can get out on Tuesday.

Still, it’s been a great excuse for a lazy weekend, fire burning away, making homemade cherry flapjack, putting Christmas lights up ready for the street’s ‘big switch on’ on 01 December, pottering around making homemade pizzas and later on getting started on Sunday Dinner 🙂

Premier Icon si77

New to this running malarkey, having just completed the Couch to 5K program. Don’t currently have the ambition to step up to 10K, 40K etc, but also don’t want to lose the progress made so far. How do I go about maintaining current form? Will one 5K run per week be enough to do that? (If I do go outside and get sweaty I’d rather it be on the bike)

Premier Icon sirromj

Speaking with recent experience of starting (end of this year will be the first full year of me running), I’d say one 5k a week is enough to maintain ability to do one 5k a week, yes 😉

I didn’t do the C25K program myself so not sure where you end up after doing it. If you run more frequently than once a week, then dropping to one 5k run a week won’t be quite enough to maintain where you got to – depending on how long you intend to run at that reduced level for of course.

You can probably stick to once a week, but some weeks do longer runs, slowly building up to 6k, 7k, 8k, etc, and other weeks, try faster paces – again slowly building up to faster paces.

Premier Icon sirromj

What is the suggested distance for a warm up before an effort? I’ve just been running a bit slower for the first 2KM or so when going out but I feel like this maybe isn’t enough?

Your 10k time is pretty decent I’d say! Maybe you just need to slow down more than you think – it took me quite a while to realize how slow it’s actually possible to run (I know that sounds ridiculous, especially as I’m not fast). Or just need more acclimatising to running?

If I’m doing intervals or tempo type stuff I’ll do 2k ish to warm up – easy running mainly with a couple of short efforts. If it’s just a ‘run’ then I just build up gradually.

Premier Icon mogrim
    Free Member

IME you need to do enough to warm up the legs, then a few progressive sprints or similar to properly activate your legs. It depends a lot on your age, your fitness, and the distance you’re aiming at – but as a 50yr old man going for a decent training session I’d want at least 15 minutes of easy running, then a few hard sprint efforts to wake my legs up. If you’re younger you could no doubt get away with less of a warm up.

Premier Icon marksnook

Got a couple hours trail running on Sunday morning, was absolutely beautiful weather in Dursley, trails were mostly in great condition with only a little slop. I definitely need to do more hill work though. If it wasn’t for family plans I would have stayed out longer. I love those days when it just feels right!
    Looking like it’s going to be cold this week but will get some miles in for sure

Premier Icon markwsf
    Free Member

Now I’ve lost some weight its time to start running again…

I’ve got on very well with ASICS GT2000’s before and have been trying to buy a new pair as the old ones have holes in, soles worn out etc.

There’s almost no stock anywhere and what there is is all £100+ – no black friday bargains on those.

Any suggestions on alternatives, or a place to buy I’ve missed (size 46), or should I just stump up and buy some ASICS?

Premier Icon aldo56
    Free Member

Good advice gents – thanks. I think it’s the couple of “sprints” in the warm up bit i’m missing. I’ll give that a go next time!

Free Member

Any suggestions on alternatives

For the last 4 years, all I’ve done is bought from sportshoes.com, filter out to size and budget, and buy whatever ones are reduced from over 100 quid down to 70ish, at that price range they’re all pretty good tbh.

Or have a look at Asics outlet, they’re based in the EU, but you don’t get hit with charges (well I haven’t the 3 times I’ve used them)

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Any suggestions on alternatives, or a place to buy I’ve missed (size 46), or should I just stump up and buy some ASICS?

For the last 4 years, all I’ve done is bought from sportshoes.com, filter out to size and budget

I usually do that but this year I was unable to find anything like a good deal so just went for a new pair of Saucony Guides at full price as the last pair I had were perfect for me – the best shoes I have ever had. I decided it wasn’t worth risking a different make for the sake of a 10% discount.

Premier Icon root-n-5th

@nobeerinthefridge
    How did parkrun re-entry go?

Free Member

@root-n-5th it didn’t, MRT training in in that storm in Galloways on friday night, didn’t get home til gone 11, couldn’t summon the fortitude on saturday!.

Premier Icon root-n-5th

Fair enough. There’s always another week.

A very contrasting 3 weeks of running for me.

3 weeks ago: Club XC event at Denbies vineyard. Really looking forward to it as I missed the first match. On the warm up my heart rate hit the roof at an easy pace and I knew it was all over. tried to run but had to stop up the hills. I’m getting it checked out as it happens every couple of months. Could be a post-Covid thing. I don’t think it’s anything too serious but it feels like my fitness has been instantly halved. Very annoyed to miss that race.I honestly thought I would not be ever running again. That was it. Game over, man, game over. Not a nice feeling.

2 weeks ago: Nonsuch park run. Fuelled by anger and wanting to prove a point to myself the plan was to give it everything from the start. This I did, hit a 3:46 first km and got a PB of 19:15 and 76% age grading to boot. Happier.

This Sunday: Ranelagh Harriers Richmond 10k. I had a feeling I could do it, so I set off with a 3:48km to get some time in the bank. Backed off a bit and sat at 3:56-3:59km, got a Garmin 5Km PB of 19:33, and held on for a 39:33 to get my sub 40 target. Absolutely stoked by that. It was incredibly tough after 7km, my vision went blurry at 9km, but that’s a PB of about 4 mins. I’m not doing it again.

Now I can relax. Until the next park run when my next goal is to go 16 seconds faster…

Keep at it. You have good days and bad days. Remember the good days!

Premier Icon turboferret

@root-n-5th I knew it was a PB, didn’t realise it was by over 10%, that’s absolutely stonking 😀

Well done, great feeling to finish a race knowing that you’ve given it your all and reaped the rewards 🙂

I’ve got my 2nd stinking cold in as many months, taking a few days off running as a result.  Getting rather tired of frequent illness, although I appreciate that a heavy cold/light flu pales in comparison to what many others are going through.  My next goal is Country to Capital, a 43 mile race from Wendover to Paddington, a mixture of hilly trails over the Chilterns, a bit of road and then half on the Grand Union Canal towpath, on 8th January.  The current course record is 4h 55m I think, so I’d be aiming to knock a chunk of that, hopefully I can get some consistent training in between now and then.

Free Member

Well done roots, that’s superb sir!.

Premier Icon root-n-5th

Cheers! I hate 10k. @turboferret – The last PB was when you paced me at Nonsuch in 2020. That was a harder course, and this was the first proper flat, road 10K race I’ve done, but it’s a good improvement.

Good luck on the January endeavour. The current record is the following pace I think. Just under sub 3 marathon pace. Should be a walk in down the canal for someone of your talents!

6 minutes 51.63 seconds per mile
    4 minutes 15.77 seconds per kilometer

Premier Icon lunge

Awesome running Root, brilliant work.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Nice little lunchtime run today. I have been focussing on doing longer runs of late (longer for me is around 6 to 9 miles) but I was a bit time poor today so just did a faster (for me) 3 mile run in 24 minutes. Helped for half of it by a strong tail wind, hampered going back up the hill into the same bloody wind.

Premier Icon flyingmonkeycorps

Does anyone run in Nike and Asics? I’m looking at a pair of Asics Sonoma 5 Goretex trail shoes and a few places online are suggesting sizing up a half from Nike (I’m a 10.5 Pegasus).

I could probably go a half size down in the Nike if they were wider, anyone able to comment on the fit of the Asics?

Premier Icon lunge

Does anyone run in Nike and Asics?

Me, well, I used to, I’ve moved away from ASICS.
    I found little or no difference in length but the ASICS were slightly narrower. I have a feeling though that latter day ASICS shoes are on a different last and may well be shorter and wider, certainly the reviews of the races shoes (Metaspeed) are saying that.
    Not sure if that’s overly helpful…!

Premier Icon flyingmonkeycorps

That’s what the Internet seems to be saying, might chance the 10.5s. I can always send them back.

I’ve worn Saucony over the last couple of years, firstly Guides and then Ride 13. Tried some Nike Pegasus 38s via Black Friday but didn’t like the fit – especially the heel – so sent them back. Searched the internet high and low for a good deal for Saucony Endorphin Speed 2 but there wasn’t much about but got a bit off via Run 4 it. First run at lunch today – blimey, they’re amazing! I’d say 5-10secs per k quicker, might be a placebo effect partly but well pleased with them.

Premier Icon lunge

The Endorphin Speed is meant to be an amazing shoe, I tried it and just couldn’t get on with the fit which is a shame as I really wanted to like them.

My latest investment is the Nike ZoomX Invincible. First run yesterday and I can confirm it’s like running on clouds, they’re so soft and cushioned. They’re certainly not a tempo shoe and when I tried to up the pace a little they felt very sloppy, but as a recovery/easy day shoe they will do a job.

Yep, feet are very specific! It did feel very much an all rounder, despite the plate in it. Might look at the shift as a recovery/easy run version.

Premier Icon surfer
    Free Member

Expressed my preference for Nike before, generally although Hoka for my dodgy toe problems. I have always liked Saucony. I worked in a running shop in the late 80’s when at Uni and we sold them then (think it was the Azura)

Azura 1988

In terms of quality of materials and build they were far ahead of brands such as Reebok and Nike at the time. We couldn’t get hold of enough of them they sold like hot cakes. I also picked up a pair of the Endorphins in a Sport-shoes sale recently, first pair of Saucony I have had for many years. Like them a lot.

Premier Icon turboferret

I succumbed to @lunge ‘s bargains and bought a new pair of snazzy bouncy kicks

Viewing 39 posts - 6,441 through 6,479 (of 6,479 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.