Viewing 40 posts - 6,521 through 6,560 (of 6,796 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • Premier Icon piemonster
    Free Member

Anyone here want a pair of Jalas Chamion studded orienteering shoes for postage costs only?

Size 9.5 uk, narrow fit. Tough as nails.

Premier Icon doom_mountain

I’ve had a really good year running. I’ve hardly ridden any of my bikes!

2157km

122500m of ascent

I completed my first two Ultras. Lakeland Trails 55k in just over 8 hours and Lakes In A Day in 14.5 hours. I’ve signed up for Lakes In A Day again, it was fantastic.

What’s everyone entered for next year?

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

Let’s get this year out the way first 🙂

Premier Icon marksnook
    Free Member

I’ve entered my first ultra, it’s a Pegasus ultra running event. It’s September so a bit too far away to start planning. Just going to up my mileage for now. Focus more on trail running and put some hill running nights in. Winging it!
    I think I will try and enter some trail races just to fill some gaps between now and my ultra

Premier Icon mjsmke
    Free Member

Anyone have experience with New Balance shoes? They seem to fit my duck feet better than other brands but don’t know how well they last? Would go for Altra but don’t really want a minimalist shoe.

Premier Icon turboferret

@piemonster I’d be interested to try those orienteering shoes if they’re still available

@mjsmke
    I have a few New Balance shoes and most have been good, one pair fell apart prematurely but on the whole I’m pretty happy with them.  I wouldn’t describe Altra as minimalist – just because they’re zero drop doesn’t make them unpadded.

According to Strava in 2021 I ran 4915km (had I realised how close I was to 5000 maybe I would have made more of an effort towards the end, but I’ve been nursing a slightly dicky hamstring)

Elevation gain 33,761 – very flat compared to most – under 7m of climbing per km

323 runs

Pretty happy with some PBs

Mile: 4:31

5k: 14:32

Marathon: 2:23:06 (a whole 2 seconds shaved off from 2019 😀 )

100 miles: 13:42:43 – UK trail record

This coming weekend I have Country to Capital – Wendover to Paddington, over the Chilterns then along the canal.  Not sure what shape I’m in, but I knocked over a minute off one of my parkrun bests on NYD so hopefully that bodes well, although my training volume is well down on what I would have planned.

Premier Icon sirromj

Well done! That’s very impressive! Definitely earned that username!

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

On a different planet tf!

And here’s me delighted at running 14 miles so far this year! 🤣

Premier Icon paulneenan76
    Free Member

Kudos Turboferret. That’ll be some run. I reckon I could do Wendover to Tring at a push 😉

Premier Icon piemonster
    Free Member

Turbo, you’ve got mail

Premier Icon lunge

Dukeries Ultra in May
    Snowdonia Marathon in October
    A few halfs and 10 milers before then.
    I’d like to do more off road stuff this year, last year was road heavy and I do much prefer the trails.

Premier Icon boblo
    Free Member

Mile: 4:31

Fkcing hell! That’s the odd thing about STW. Everything from tubby middle aged men waddling about (aka ‘us’ 🙂 ) to Turboferret’s level of performance. Good on you. I don’t think I could do a 4:30 even in free fall 😀

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

I am feeling pretty frustrated – having started to up my weekly milage again after various setbacks this year (I was aiming for three runs a week), I was knocked sideways by a cough/cold (not covid – tested a trillion times) and haven’t been able to run since 14 December – even going for moderate dog walks is leaving me feeling a bit short of breath. Hopefully I will finally get over it in the next week and I can restart (again) and try to get back to where I was heading in December. It is all very frustrating as I had been looking forward to getting out for some long runs over the Christmas break.

Premier Icon boblo
    Free Member

@johndoh Yeah it can be annoying. You see yourself with linear progress stretched out into the near future – no bumps, no glitches and no setbacks. And then…

Just do what you can when you can and ‘build back betterer’ (that really is joke 😛 ).

It’s mildly annoying but not really life changing. It’s supposed to be fun and if we wring the joy out of it by being too target fixated, there seems little point and I’m the world’s worst for target fixation.

Get better and start plodding around for FUN!

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Yep agreed – either way I should be better than I was at this time last year. Hopefully!

Premier Icon marcus
    Free Member

Don’t forget it’s Spine time. Fun run started today and the main event tomoz.

Premier Icon mogrim
    Free Member

Couple of ultras: Sierra Nevada in April (in Granada), and Ehunmilak (Basque country) in July. 100 and 168km approx., respectively.

Premier Icon doom_mountain

Couple of ultras: Sierra Nevada in April (in Granada), and Ehunmilak (Basque country) in July.

Nice, I imagine the weather will be better than Lakes In a Day in October! 😉

Premier Icon lunge

Stunning weather and I see a Strava feed full of long runs. 18 for me this morning, all off road to avoid the icy roads. Absolutely beautiful running conditions.

Free Member

Horrible in West of Scotia this morning, sideways freezing rain.

Had a good start to the year, 30 miles, a tough hill walk on Tuesday, and a couple of kettlebell sessions too, so struggled a wee bit this morning.

Good to get back in the groove, entries to my target race open tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Premier Icon Jonno

Feel a bit silly posting this with the discussion about ultras and 4 min miles going on up there but it does say beginners in the thread title so here goes.

I was a reasonably fit cyclist, capable of 100 mile road rides until the end of last year until some medical problems mean I can’t really ride at the moment, in a desperate attempt to retain some fitness and get some exercise and after a lot of umming and arghing and procrastination I have decided to take up running.

Currently on week 2 of couch to 5k and running for a grand total of 90 seconds 6 times, with a 2 min walk in between and I’m suffering a lot with lower leg pain. It was calf muscles in week 1 that I have now found out how to stretch out and the pain has moved to just below the knees at the front this week. They hurt especially when going up or down hill. Is it a case of just using muscles I haven’t used for a long time (if ever) and it will get better with time or should I just accept that running is not for me and continue my rapid progression to couch?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Free Member

It’s always one of the hardest decisions to make, when to push through a niggle, and when to accept other more than a niggle.

I’d be tempted to push on with yours tbh, as you say, you’ve not really ran before, and just keep an eye on it.

Have you got some nice cushioned shoes? The impact of starting running later in life can be helped massively with decent shoes IME.

Best of luck, as you say, this thread is for everyone. 👌🏻

Premier Icon fingerbang
    Free Member

im looking forward to doing a season (hopefully, touch wood) of fell races. I’ve joined Barlick Fell Runners and will join the FRA in a bit. Anything in the 3- 10 mile range. Some good races if we take in Dales, Calderdale and the local races. I’ll start upping the training in a few weeks, with intervals etc. Just need to stay injury free. Can’t wait

Premier Icon mogrim
    Free Member

Nice, I imagine the weather will be better than Lakes In a Day in October!

Dunno, I tried to do the second race back in 2018, but they had to suspend after we’d only done 55km due to a massive storm – it really was quite scary up high with lightning striking about 500m away… And the Sierra Nevada in April could be pretty snowy, too. Still, all part of the fun I guess 🙂

Premier Icon lunge

Is it a case of just using muscles I haven’t used for a long time (if ever) and it will get better with time or should I just accept that running is not for me and continue my rapid progression to couch?

As above, it’s tough to decide what is a problem and what is not.
    Certainly some discomfort is to be expected, new muscles and new impacts will do that. When discomfort turns into pain, particularly prolonged pain, is when to stop.
    To minimise, make sure you’re not going to fast as, if you have some running fitness it’ll be easy to do so. Also try and run on soft surfaces, that’ll help with the impact.

Premier Icon edward2000
    Free Member

Jonno – I would be my house that your issues stem from weak glute muscles. Although your calves/knees may hurt, it may not be the cause of the pain.

In my opinion, by far the best videos in the net are Jeff Cavaleres Athlean X on YouTube.

Try this, and then the videos within https://youtu.be/gXPDhggbWfM

I’d be interested to know if this helps so keep us posted

Premier Icon mjsmke
    Free Member

Currently on week 2 of couch to 5k and running for a grand total of 90 seconds 6 times, with a 2 min walk in between and I’m suffering a lot with lower leg pain. It was calf muscles in week 1 that I have now found out how to stretch out and the pain has moved to just below the knees at the front this week. They hurt especially when going up or down hill. Is it a case of just using muscles I haven’t used for a long time (if ever) and it will get better with time or should I just accept that running is not for me and continue my rapid progression to couch?

I had similar recently. New to running too and thought it was IT band issues. Tried a few new stretches and the pain moved to below my knees, and kept moving from inside to outside.

I was doing some hilly runs and not fully warming up. Over Christmas I tried some flater routes and made sure to do a 10 min walk first, then a few stretches before running slowly for the first few mins. Still have some pain but no where near as much.

Now I’m back at work the pain has come back a bit so putting it down to sitting at a desk on cheap chairs all day.

Premier Icon Jonno

Thanks for the comments, plenty to think about. Probably guilty of trying to run to fast and have been running on a tarmac cycle path so it’s hard ground, would love to do trail runs but it’s a boggy mess out there at the moment so have been avoiding it.

Have a pair of asics gel trainers, they were bought a few years ago (last time I procrastinated about running) but never used, they feel fairly comfy but weren’t advised by an expert or anything.

My runs have been fairly flat so far but thinking about it I did try a hill the run before the pains started. I’m just finding it hard to take it slowly, desperate to get that feeling back that I’m missing from cycling.

Premier Icon sirromj

I started March 2020, and found it difficult, just is. Toward the end of this year I decided to make more effort to do slow runs. Had to say to myself slower than that, and that, slow down again, slower. But been struggling the last month or so with lower leg/ankle pain even just plodding along. So mixed it up today and did some intervals running as fast as I could, just based on feel, no timing element to them before slowing right back down to a plod (despite ‘sod the plod’ coming to mind). On the plus side, made it much more enjoyable and less focus on lower legs. On the negative, aching hips/buttocks! Best to enjoy it and not just make it a test of endurance every time.

Premier Icon duckman

I will mostly be catching up with the races I missed because of the pandemic or breaking my ankle last year. 2022 has to be better than the jobbie sandwich that was last year as far as racing goes. On the plus side I have 5 halfs and a marathon this year and haven’t had to pay for any yet.

Premier Icon thecaptain
    Free Member

First 20-miler of the season done, the last one of those I did was back in Feb 2020 when I remember listening to a podcast talking about the fatality rate from the new coronavirus disease…

Premier Icon piemonster
    Free Member

Nice work Captain, I managed a 15 on the hill last week with a view to 20 in a few weeks time. At my current pace more jogging than running.

Premier Icon piemonster
    Free Member

Before I go and buy either a Petzl or Silva of some description that has a good balance of lumens/burn time/weight.

I’m in the market for a head torch, it’s to be used (on occasion) for running in the Scottish Highlands/Lakes in all seasons (snow permitting).

Priorities are

Build quality

Battery not too badly affected by cold weather

Long burn time, enough to get through a Spring/Autumn night

Enough light for “jogging” on technical terrain with some occasional sighting for nav/scary noises in the dark.

I’m currently using a now no longer used on the bike Lumenator that I have a head torch harness for, but it’s a bit on the weighty side.

I’ll pay for build quality/reliability over being a bargain.

I’m guessing NAO+

Premier Icon brakeswithface

I’ve got a NAO+ which is pretty good. Recently got a fenix hp25 (link) though and it make the NAO+ seem pretty rubbish. Pretty hefty if you’re carrying it but feels light on the head as it’s so well balanced. Kicks out a huge amount of light and it’s properly regulated unlike the NAO+ which dims noticeably.

Premier Icon mjsmke
    Free Member

I also found running slow difficult to do. In a way its more of a mental challenge. Due to bike fitness, if I run slow it feels really slow and way too easy but been doing more of this at the start of a run and it does help warm up properly. I’ve not properly pushed myself yet as I know my knees and hips are not use to the new movement of running.
    Planning to build up to a half marathon by the end of the summer so need to get into a more regular routine as well as 2 or 3 rides a week.

Premier Icon jam-bo

Before I go and buy either a Petzl or Silva of some description that has a good balance of lumens/burn time/weight.

i really like my actik core.

may not have the burn time you want but the core batteries are tiny (3xAAA), could be stashed in a pocket or you can use AAA’s instead.

Premier Icon Superficial
    Free Member

I was a reasonably fit cyclist […] I have decided to take up running.

I’m in the same boat. I too have tried to start running. Having cycled everywhere for 20+ years and never ran anywhere, I have good stamina but sooo many niggly pains whenever I run.

My experience (still very much a work in progress):
    I started with really short runs (2k ish) then worked up to 3, 4, 5, 8k ever a month or so. I always want to run flat-out, though. I probably should have listened to what plenty of people said about going slow.

I still don’t know whether I should be doing longer / shorter strides, leaning further back, bending my knees more, heel strike vs forefoot strike etc.

It’s easier to concentrate on form / minimising impacts when you’re not sprinting. So slower is probably better for joints, at least until I can learn what my form should be like and ‘lock into’ a usable gait.

After pounding the streets for a couple of months, I ran up a hill (off road) the other day and OMG it felt so much better! Because it was uphill I was running at somewhere near my cardio-respiratory limit which felt good. Trail running somehow seems gentler on my joints, perhaps because I have to think about where / how I’m placing my foot on the ground. Plus, it was much more like what I want to ultimately achieve – long trail runs.

I wish there was a resource for the experienced cyclist taking up running. Anyone got any tips?

Premier Icon turboferret

It was several years into my running before I managed to enjoy steadier runs.  I used to think that unless a run was moderate to hard it had no benefit, but that’s completely wrong, and training in the zone of neither easy nor hard gets you tired without significant gains in fitness.  Slow runs are great for adaptation and recovery, but take discipline.

Race on Saturday was fun for the first half – Country to Capital, 43 miles from Wendover, over the Chilterns on a mix of trails and road, then onto the canal to Paddington.  I had a perhaps ambitious goal of knocking over 10 minutes off the course record, which didn’t entirely go to plan.  Little video from the end here:

https://youtu.be/DBUBzQx_MGY

I’ve just been made aware of the 100km Anglo Celtic Plate race in April which forms the GB trial race for the 100km World Champs in August in Germany.  If I’m ever going to snag a genuine GB vest this is probably about my best chance, so I’m going to throw my hat into the ring 🙂

Premier Icon marksnook
    Free Member

Fair play @turboferret , may as well try for it!
    I’ve just booked a 25km trail race in July, figure it should slot nicely into training being 2 months before my ultra. Im not there to race as such though!
    Started the year a lot stronger than last year which is a good start! Going to aim for consistent time running weekly until ramping things up towards summer. Might try for a couple other shorter trail events if I fancy any in the southwest.
    I’ve always found running slowly real difficult, it’s so easy to settle into that average comfy pace! Would like to start paying a little more attention to my runs so I can get the best training from them. Where do I start though?!

Premier Icon piemonster
    Free Member

@brakeswithface

What is it specifically you prefer about the Fenix? It does look a bit heavier than what I was hoping for but still lighter than what I have.

i really like my actik core.

may not have the burn time you want but the core batteries are tiny (3xAAA), could be stashed in a pocket or you can use AAA’s instead.

I’ll take a look at that, I think you can buy spare batteries for the Nao too.

Viewing 40 posts - 6,521 through 6,560 (of 6,796 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.