Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The Road CC 2013 light test…
  • mboy
    Free Member

Click here…

OK it’s not got every light available on it, but it’s a pretty good indicator for most current commercially available lights. I particularly like the beam comparison graph at the bottom which shows the spread and shape of the light beam as well as the Lux level at 2m. For instance, comparing a £20 ebay special vs the Gemini Duo, you can see that at the centre of the beam they are equally bright, but the cheapo light has very little spill and is an exceptionally narrow beam.

Oh, and as I’ve just found out (after initially criticising the pictures being taken on a bend) that if you hover over the centre line in the beam shot pic, you can then drag it each way with your mouse to see more or less of each beam pattern you’re comparing!

BIG thumbs up to road.cc… 😀

IanW
    Free Member

Exposure are the best, there you go no need for the test!

mattsccm
    Free Member

I dare not go back as I think I upset them by asking silly questions.
    The pic thing was one of mine as well.

z1ppy

Really nice setup, the MTB mags could take a note of this, more useful info, especially the beam shape. Also loving the side by side comparison, with centre line slide, a better way to judge beam shots.

ninfan
    Free Member

That beam comparison function is brilliant – especially the flashing rear lights!

Pyro

Exposure are the best, there you go no need for the test!

There’s a few beam shots at Torchy’s site that put the lie to that statement. Exposure do some nice kit, but I certainly wouldn’t say they were “the best”, not by a long chalk.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

So what’s the best light for off road riding according to Torchy?

Pyro

Have a look and take your pick. ‘Best’ is partially dependent on budget. I run Ay-Ups and love them, until the Far East revolution (DX/Magicshine/SolarStorm etc) came along they were the best value on the market, plenty bright, and came as a pair (helmet and bar lights plus batteries) for the same price as a single Exposure unit did. I’ll be upgrading the LEDs this year, but even on the ‘old’ (c. 5 years) set, they’re still cracking lights.

z1ppy

CuriousY: A fluxient triple XML (for reliability vs cost vs beam), when last I look.. as sold by Torchy 😉

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I want one with no cables, and want three lights in total. Two for helmets so I can use them on the road helmet for commuting, come home, swap helmets and be out for a night ride. And one bar mounted light for the MTB.

I can spend up to £1000 (C2W accessories voucher if going for Exposure etc) or £2-300 if buying in a shop/online).

I looked at the Torchy site and the Fluxient looks good. However, the cables put me off.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘The Road CC 2013 light test…’ is closed to new replies.