Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • The Responder BBC
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Anyone else watching this?

Really enjoying it, way better than Vigil and The Bodyguard guff.

Drac

Watched the first one. Superb really enjoyed it but was hitting a few raw nerves. Need to catch up with episode 2.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s really well made, but just another reminder of how broken things are.

binners

Absolutely loved it, especially the dark scouse humour. The writing is superb and is now getting quoted in our house

Any queries regarding money are now being met with the answer “I’m not Pablo ****ing Escobar, you tit!” And also the resurrection of that most scouse term of abuse “you blurt!” 😂

We were discussing it in the pub last night and a scouse mate said the whole thing with the dark humour and abuse reminds him of being on the production line at Halewood. Martin Freeman’s scouse accent is perfect. If it hadn’t been the whole thing wouldn’t work

gobuchul
    Free Member

Martin Freeman’s scouse accent is perfect.

That’s what I thought, but he was getting slagged off for it on Twatter.

I thought maybe because I’m from the NE and couldn’t tell.

richardkennerley

Just got one more ep to watch tonight. Think Freeman’s doing a great job, it was a bit weird with the accent because we so used to him just being his normal self, but soon got over that.

Just pondering, would it have been better with Stephen Graham!?

136stu
    Free Member

Just pondering, would it have been better with Stephen Graham!?

No. Let’s give another actor a chance to act.

Loved the series and it’s grittyness far better than much else on TV.

MoreCashThanDash

Wasn’t sure what to make of it after the first episode, but based on this thread I shall give it a go.

binners

That’s what I thought, but he was getting slagged off for it on Twatter.

Thats mainly because Twitter is a toxic cesspit where anything and everything is slagged off. I was having a beer with 3 scouse mates last night who all said they loved the programme and that Martin Freeman had absolutely nailed it. Not just the accent but the mannerism’s too.

roverpig

Don’t watch much TV these days, but stumbled on this on iPlayer and thought it was excellent. Ending seemed a bit rushed and not terribly believable, but the acting and writing overall was fantastic.

BigJohn

We like it too but it’s a bit too intense to be bingeable. Taking our time. Although that might be our aversion to the accent.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Enjoyed E1, stark contrast to Trigger Point (seems Ged Mercurio’s name can go on anything these days)

malv173
    Free Member

We have just finished watching it today. I thought it was really well done. Bleak, bleak, bleak though!

I’ve never been a huge fan of Martin Freeman, or rather, I’ve not enjoyed the roles he’s played previously. I thought he was excellent in this. As were the rest of the cast.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Did anyone sport Sinbad from Brookside in Episode 2?

Mrs Gob did.

trailmonkey

We like it too but it’s a bit too intense to be bingeable

Totally agree, we were done after episode 1 but completely hooked.
    Binged an episode a night for the rest of the week.

The Beeb at it’s brilliant best.

Yup, it was like a scouse who’s who?

bowser538
    Free Member

Thought it was excellent Martin Freeman was brilliant he was good in Start Up also
    Very dark and believable some great acting
    Too

rOcKeTdOg

Why didn’t he just put the ring of power on or ask Sherlock for help?

rOcKeTdOg

And the guy from bread/goodnight sweetheart as the paedo neighbour in episode one

revs1972
    Free Member

Has James Nelson-Joyce been in anything where he hasn’t played a nasty orrible little **** ?

He is very convincing when he does though 😉

malv173
    Free Member

the guy from bread/goodnight sweetheart

That’s who he is! I thought I recognised him. Cheers @rOcKeTdOg

richardkennerley

And there was Martin from Game On

Fantombiker

If you had just read the script i don’t think it would be any different to a million other cop shows. However the production and acting really set it apart as brilliant. It shows that the BBC can produce/commission extraordinarily good content, something Nadine Dorries needs to acknowledge and preserve.

Ive got a netflix subscription and honestly rather 1 of these great shows than 50 generic output movies.

We’re doing 1 episode a night, to make it last!

pistonbroke
    Free Member

While we’re doing “what was he in?” anyone spot David Bradley who has done loads of stuff Inc Gervais’ dad in Afterlife playing the tramp that Carson stands up for?

richardkennerley

Second series do we think? (Need to be wary of spoilers here I guess)

jimmy

Ive got a netflix subscription and honestly rather 1 of these great shows than 50 generic output movies.

+1 to this

2 episodes in, liking the darkness of it and yeah, Freeman is convincing. Reminded me of Stephen Graham at one point.

plus-one

2 episodes in its very good.

Martin freeman has been excellent in every thing I’ve ever seen him in.

Stand out performance for me is Fargo season 1 it’s superb !!

revs1972
    Free Member

Freeman is convincing

I agree, although I kept expecting to hear his normal voice. He has certain mannerisms,, such as the way he moves , shrugs etc. I did hear it once, but then he continued the conversation with the Liverpool accent

stevemorg2

Great programme – binged over a couple of nights

blokeuptheroad

Two episodes in and loving it.  Freeman is superb, I think my jaw genuinely dropped when he first spoke because he has absolutely nailed the scouse accent in a way I’ve never seen anyone else do who isn’t a native.  The dark humour is just enough to hold the relentless bleakness at bay.  Superb TV.

barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

Freeman made this as excellent as it is. Amazing acting. Forget you’re watching as end up fully engaged with the character

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Freeman made this as excellent as it is. Amazing acting. Forget you’re watching as end up fully engaged with the character

I’d agree with this totally. You actually felt his stress/anguish. Brilliant acting and I thought his accent was excellent. Ludicrous use of the word “mate” – brilliant.

Thought the whole thing was brilliant apart from the last 30 minutes which like someone else mentioned, felt rushed. Like it just fizzled out. Everyone seemed to accept a piece of paper a suitable conclusion to some prison drug lord trying to flog a load of drugs which involved a killing. A below par conclusion…

roverpig

Has anybody read the book? I’d be interested to know if that ending was in the book or whether it was adapted for TV as it seemed out of keeping with the rest of the series. We had four episodes of gritty realism and building tension then everybody seemed to suddenly accept a solution that didn’t actually resolve anything.

ads678

Yeah I was a bit dissapointed with the ending, but assum it’ll probably lead into a second series. Thought the rest of it was great. Martin Freeman was excellent.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Has anybody read the book?

There isn’t one.

I watched the last episode last night.

Disappointing. Very rushed and quite a few holes.

Acting and production still excellent though.

roverpig

Ah right, I saw that it was written by an ex policeman and just assumed it was a book. Obviously not though.

db

I’m the son of 2 police officers who both said it was rubbish! Maybe things have changed since they retired or maybe things were different in the Met but they weren’t impressed.

That said they have never been impressed with any TV police drama from the Bill to Line of Duty so I take their opinion with a pinch of salt.

IdleJon

Freeman is convincing

I agree, although I kept expecting to hear his normal voice. He has certain mannerisms,, such as the way he moves , shrugs etc.

He walked past me in London about three or four years ago, his eyes fixed down the street, making no eye contact with anyone. When I told my wife, later on, I said that he looked exactly like Martin Freeman. She laughed and asked what did I expect, and I said that often when you see someone famous, they look something like what they do on screen, but dressed differently, or scruffier, different hair, whatever. Freeman, though, was wearing exactly what he seems to wear in every programme, with exactly the same hairstyle, and looking exactly as old as he always has. Until this series, of course, where he’s got grey stubble, and actually looks his age!

revs1972
    Free Member

maybe things were different in the Met

Can’t remember seeing any institutional racism in the whole series, so yes you are probably right 😉

jimmy

Just watched episode 5 assuming there’d be a sixth. Then realised it was ending – disappointed as well. Too easy, no drama or grit.

Marin
    Free Member

The most ludicrous bit was when he smashed up the toilets. They’ve been locked for years I run past them every week.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘The Responder BBC’ is closed to new replies.