• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The perfect road riding light now exists
  • Bez

Looks like B&M have just made the perfect road bike light.

http://www.bumm.de/produkte/dynamo-scheinwerfer/lumotec-iq2-luxos.html

– even brighter than the Cyo (lux, not just lumens)
    – wider than the Cyo
    – bar switch for main beam (my holy grail – and brighter still at 90 lux)
    – integrated USB charger
    – side lighting
    – internal backup battery

I can’t think of a single extra thing to ask from a light.

All for 180 Euros, a good deal cheaper than the Exposure Revo (which doesn’t have the road-friendly features) and only twice as much as the Cyo.

If I can get one before winter I’m actually going to look forward to doing some freezing long distance rides again 🙂

DrP

bumm….

Snigger..

DrP

DezB
    Free Member

Ewww.. it looks like one of those old fashioned dynamo lights!
    Bumm indeed.

Trekster

Mtb batteries have just posted a new one on their Facebook page that looks good for the road/commute 😀

stumpy01

Is that not a dynamo light?

Bez

Dynamo light, yes. Probably should have put that in the thread title but I take dyno power as read for “the perfect road riding light” 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7kgzgcqe5s[/video]

MrAgreeable

it looks like one of those old fashioned dynamo lights!

It looks hideous. But that’s good, means you can leave it on the bike and thieves won’t know what it is.

DezB
    Free Member

😳 Oh yeah, dynamo translated into German obviously confused me.

mrmo
    Free Member

sorry for the bump, has anyone actually tried this light?

Bez

I’ve got one on order but they’re still showing as 8 weeks off. Rose are listing the basic version (no remote/USB doofer) as available.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

*Shakes Head*

ourmaninthenorth

Looks ace. While I’m unlikely for now to find time to nightride, come next winter I hope to be able to do so with a local club. Also, as I try to get up earlier to ride at the weekends (lessening impact on family time), having a light like this would be ideal.

Any idea how brightness compares with a Lumicycle LED3 system (used to use that to commute)?

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Gotta love Google Translation “Automatically. The special LEDs are targeted at security perception. Can switch on the handlebars are turned off.”

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Have a look at the Schmidt Edelux headlamp, starbikes in Germany stock them at ~ 130Euro. It has a built in standlight capacitor which keeps it on when standing still for a couple of minutes for the front light, a good bit longer for a B&M rear.

http://www.starbike.com/p/SON-Edelux-LED-front-lamp-3291-en

http://www.starbike.com/p/Busch-M%FCller-Toplight-Line-plus-rear-carrier-light-323ALT-3706-en

joemarshall
    Free Member

Looks ace. While I’m unlikely for now to find time to nightride, come next winter I hope to be able to do so with a local club. Also, as I try to get up earlier to ride at the weekends (lessening impact on family time), having a light like this would be ideal.

The B&M lights are very much road focused – funny road specific beams. They are great for on the road, but you’d hit your head on every overhead branch at least with the beam shape on the one I’ve got.

The USE dynamo light appears to be aimed at off road riding (and supposedly works pretty well). If I had the money (and time to nightride for that matter) I’d have one on the mountain bike, I love the hub dynamo on my road bike.

Bez

Have a look at the Schmidt Edelux headlamp, starbikes in Germany stock them at ~ 130Euro.

The Edelux is the prettier sister of the B&M Cyo, which is less than half the price… they’re pretty much the same internally, I believe.

Any idea how brightness compares with a Lumicycle LED3 system (used to use that to commute)?

Well, since it’s not actually been released yet, no 🙂

You’ll find it’s a tighter beam. I doubt even the main beam will pump out as much actual light as the LED3 in total – a dynohub is inherently more limited than battery technology for output. ISTR my Cyo is broadly equivalent to a Toro on medium in terms of lux, but the beam is smaller (but for the most part you don’t need the extra illumination of a symmetrical beam). The Luxos promises to be a little brighter, plus it offers the main beam, which I’m hoping will give plenty of light for country lanes.

As Joe says, you wouldn’t want to ride off-road with a German road light.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘The perfect road riding light now exists’ is closed to new replies.