• This topic has 27 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by sands.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The Oscars 2015
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

Nominations out, full list here Oscars

Press speaking of a good year for “The Brits”

I haven’t seen too many of the nominations this year, looking forward to seeing The Theory of Everything when released next month also Selma and Boyhood. Will try watch Imitation Game as missed it last year.

Saw Leviathon (never before has so much Vodka been consumed in a move ?), Iva and 2 Days 1 Night (good film, bit surprised in best actress nomination but Marion Cotillard was excellent). All thanks to Curzon Home Cinema. Grand Budapest was fun.

Much amusement when the lady said David Poops instead of David Pope !

So thoughts ? Will add my predictions later, of course having not actually seen the vast majority of the films 😉

binners

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG9p1FFwxb0[/video]

wrecker
    Free Member

Watched American Sniper last night. Good film. I’d be surprised if it wins though. Having said that, it might be an opportunity for the panel to show how American (**** YEAH) they are.

wolly
    Free Member

Really really enjoyed the theory of everything definitely worth a watch

DezB
    Free Member

The only (over 12 cert) film I’ve seen this ahem in the past year is Birdman. It is very very “acty” so wouldn’t be surprised if Norton or Keaton win something. Best Film though, hmmm.. I think I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy more. As a bit of entertainment, like.

DezB
    Free Member

MUSIC
    Original Song
    “Everything Is Awesome” from THE LEGO MOVIE

Keerist! So most irritating is a prize winning criteria now?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@wrecker – Is Bradley Cooper a realistic Best Actor ? When I first heard about it I thought definitely not my type of film but it’s got good reviews and its a Clint Eastwood direction.

Klunk
    Free Member

I lasted about 5 mins of Birdman, hand held cam and awful jazz drumming sound track gave me motion sickness and a headache ! Though the jazz drumming in whiplash is great !

wrecker
    Free Member

@wrecker – Is Bradley Cooper a realistic Best Actor ?

He’s not bad at all, I haven’t seen the others, so unsure how he compares.
    I can see how it’s in oscar territory; it wasn’t the macho shooty hollywood cartoon I was expecting (although there’s plenty of action). As you would expect from Eastwood, it has a bit more depth to it. You see the toll it all takes on Cooper/Kyle and see how these types get drawn into something which is ultimately damaging them.

jambalaya
    Free Member

it wasn’t the macho shooty hollywood cartoon I was expecting

This is what I was afraid of, thanks for comments I’ll try and see it

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Hmmm, Predestination is the best film I saw last year, GOTG was a really good fun film.

wrecker
    Free Member

This is what I was afraid of, thanks for comments I’ll try and see it

Careful, your chocolate might be my vanilla! I do think there’s more to it than the average Wahlberg film though. I’d say it’s more “gritty” than “hollywood” which is exactly what I like.

vondally
    Free Member

Foxcatcher Mark Ruffalo is one of the outstanding performances, real depth.

Grand Budapest. while good it was all to ‘knowing’ and fey, oh we are avant garde………Ralph Fiennes was excellent though

agree with the Guardians of the galaxy real entertainment well scripted for the ‘sci fi fans’ to the multiplex audience.

jambalaya
    Free Member

From the Guardian. I am surprised DuVerney wasn’t nominated for Selma, the film looks outstanding and there has never been a black woman nominated for Best Director, with everything going on in the US now surely this was a perfect example to make a deserved statement.

For heaven’s sake. Can it really be true that Mike Leigh’s Mr Turner has been overlooked in the best film and best director categories, with another zilch for Timothy Spall as best actor? Has David Oyelowo, who so memorably portrayed Martin Luther King in Selma, been ignored in this category as well? Selma at least has a best picture nomination, but no best director nomination for Ava DuVernay.

Guardian: Mr Turner and Selda snubs are shocking

@wrecker – I enjoyed Django Unchained, The Hurt Locker, Bad Country for Old Men for example .. we shall compare notes at a later date perhaps

Klunk
    Free Member

For heaven’s sake. Can it really be true that Mike Leigh’s Mr Turner has been overlooked in the best film

In comparison to the Imitation Game Mr Turner would win hands down in the historical accuracy Category. Worse than the worst hollywood biopic.

jambalaya
    Free Member

PSA – Citizenfour the Oscar winning documentary on Edward Snowden is on Channel 4 Wed night at 23:05

Dissapointed Boyhood didn’t win best picture, excellent film and something quite unique.

fasthaggis

I wanted Birdman or Grand Budapest to win ,but it’s a shame that ‘A Most Violent Year’ didn’t get a chance.

Nice that The Phone Call won though .

jambalaya
    Free Member

I haven’t seen Birdman as it didn’t appeal but it seems to be very well liked and I love Amoros Perros/21 Grams/Babel/Bitiful so don’t begrduge the Best Director.

Will try and find The Phone Call, thanks for the reminder

DezB
    Free Member

Birdman was ok, definitely worth watching, but it should have been disqualified from the Oscars for too obviously trying to win one!

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

lasted less than 5 mins of birdman, irritating “jazz” drumming sound track and the hand held camera made me feel like puking.

fasthaggis

You’re allowed to like it, though. As much as I’m allowed to dislike it, thanks.

Dez ,from the other film thread ^^ 😉 😛

AlexSimon

DezB – Member

Birdman was ok, definitely worth watching, but it should have been disqualified from the Oscars for too obviously trying to win one!
    oh god, at least it was zippy and entertaining unlike most maudlin oscar-bait (e.g. anything involving Daniel Day-Lewis)

DezB
    Free Member

Dez ,from the other film thread ^^

Jeezus why are people trying to annoy me*? What’s the relevance of that quote??

(*Not annoyed really)

fasthaggis

😉

DrJ

I lasted about 5 mins of Birdman

Really? I thought it was brilliant!

Klunk
    Free Member

yep really, found it unwatchable

sands
    Free Member

Bump – On tonight (Wed 25 Feb)

jambalaya – Member

PSA – Citizenfour the Oscar winning documentary on Edward Snowden is on Channel 4 Wed night at 23:05

Thanks jambalaya

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘The Oscars 2015’ is closed to new replies.