• This topic has 50 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by hols2.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • The Old Guard – Netflix
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Wasn’t expecting too much but found it to be a pleasant way to pass time. Nice dynamics within the group of heroes although the bad guy seems to be really OTT as they are in all the fillums these days.
    I liked it – but there again I think my last recommendation on Netflix was 6 Underground and that didn’t turn out too well.
    During the week finally saw The Losers. A few years old and I enjoyed that too. I think I just have low standards.

akira

Sometimes nice to watch a zero thought film, no tricky plot twists, no hidden meanings, just easy to watch blah that kills two hours. I’ll watch it at some point when the wife is doing something else, in no rush to see it but I imagine I’ll enjoy it for what it is.

funkmasterp

Just watched it and it was a decent little action movie. Not brilliant, but worth a watch. Agree on the villain though. Not quite up there with the pantomime levels of the antagonist from Avatar, but getting there.

jonno101
    Free Member

Not bad except strongbow pub scene at the end?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Almost like they’d run out of money and had to shoot a quick ending.

IHN

Ah, will try this then.

Fwiw, thought much the same about 6 Underground.

And Focus is a decent enough heist caper

fasthaggis

Kept waiting for it to go somewhere, it didn’t . Charlie did her Atomic immortal and the Nile character was decent (Kiki Layne) but meh.

hols2
    Free Member

It was entertaining as a formulaic action movie. Would have been better if the villain had a bit more depth. They’re obviously setting up for a sequel (or ten). Count me out.

stumpyjon

Didn’t realise it was a movie until half way through when hadn’t ended. Thought it was new series. Killed a couple of hours nicely.

hols2
    Free Member

Thought it was new series.

That ending made it clear that there is more to come. Conveniently, if one of the actors wants to quit, their immortality can just be transferred to a newcomer and the franchise can keep on rolling.

chomp
    Free Member

Thought it was ok, but have no desire to see a second one

Given it was on Netflix I’d have preferred a 10 show series delving a bit deeper into their backstories

ta11pau1

Yeah it was watchable, better than some of the tripe that’s been released by netflix (last days of american crime…).

Although some things were never really explained – So, they’re old, right. Really old. But at what point do they stop aging? After the first time they die?

Could have been made into a series, something like travellers, which I thought was really good.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Watched this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Lots of headshots for the headshot lovers out there.

Yep – good fun and well worth a watch.

CT is a dreamboat.

Drac

Watched it last night it was Ok but just lacked something so I won’t watch it again or particularly care about it. Oh and a question. Why don’t their ear piercings heal?

Klunk
    Free Member

got bored, there only so much faceless goon killing you can watch. won’t be watching the next one.

hols2
    Free Member

there only so much faceless goon killing you can watch

There were also some very tender moments of bonding between the characters. Coping with immortality in a world of mortals throws important light on the human condition. Future generations will see it as an important philosophical text.

Klunk
    Free Member

they were quite fond of cutting off heads in the middle ages… would the head grow a new body or the the body a new head or both 2 for the price of one.

hols2
    Free Member

Yes, I was wondering about woodchippers and nuclear bombs. If all the pieces are scattered, can they reconnect? Or what if you buried them under the ice in Greenland? Surely they would just enter suspended animation and be unconscious until the ice thawed. If that’s the case, what if you chained them up in front of a glacier and it simultaneously froze them and ground them to mincemeat, which then got scattered and refrozen. That’s gotta **** them up, surely.

Klunk
    Free Member

I guess the head cuttey off thing is far too highlander, there can only be five/six/seven doesn’t quite have the same ring.

DezB
    Free Member

I normally can’t stand action films, but that didn’t take itself too seriously and was ok. Pretty much in agreement with most people. Not bad, not great.
    Also watched – The Vast of Night (Amazon) – was better than Old Guard, but still lacked something. The action mostly consisted of a girl running, but it was quite intriguing.
    and Snatchers – funny comedy horror, very well scripted. But extremely low-rent trashy. Enjoyed it though.

v7fmp

mate said it was worth a watch, so gave it a spin last night.

It was OK. nothing to write home about, but as many said, passed a couple of hours.

I watched 1917 on Friday night, and that was very enjoyable indeed!

johndrummer
    Free Member

It was ok. Didn’t explain how Andie got from South Sudan to Afghanistan in an instant, while Nile was recovering from having her throat cut

hols2
    Free Member

Didn’t explain how Andie got from South Sudan to Afghanistan in an instant

Didn’t explain how they travel anywhere, given that passports and ID will be a bit tricky.

DezB
    Free Member

Plot holes in a film with immortal beings coming back from the dead. See if you can find anymore!

Drac

Didn’t explain how they travel anywhere, given that passports and ID will be a bit tricky.

You didn’t notice the false passports in the CIA guys house?

Klunk
    Free Member

Plot holes in a film with immortal beings coming back from the dead. See if you can find anymore!

she could do better 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Lazy editing to cover poorly choreographed/executed action scenes. Apart from that an entirely passable and utterly forgettable something to pass the time for a couple of hours.

IHN

Watched it last night it was Ok but just lacked something so I won’t watch it again or particularly care about it.

This. Don’t regret watching it, probably wouldn’t recommend it to anyone else.

Tell you what was a bit of a surprise – Cold Pursuit. Yes, it’s Liam Neeson doing Liam Neeson, but it’s Liam Neeson doing Liam Neeson doing Fargo. Really quite funny, much better than expected.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Cold Pursuit is good but the original ‘In Order of Disappearance’ much better imho. It’s currently free on Prime

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Both are good, but I was really surprised by the Neeson film as I didn’t know it was going to be a comedy.

hols2
    Free Member

Cold Pursuit is good

It’s the Socratic Ideal of a Liam Neeson movie. It’s like a piece of Heaven fell to Earth.

I was really surprised by the Neeson film as I didn’t know it was going to be a comedy.

Kuco

It was okay for some mindless entertainment. Obviously left it open for a second.

johnhe

I really enjoyed it.

bensales
    Free Member

Graphic novel for the sequel has already been written by the filmmaker, so highly likely there will be a follow up. I enjoyed it.

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/old-guard-2-netflix-release-date-trailer-ending-explained

Riksbar

they were quite fond of cutting off heads in the middle ages… would the head grow a new body or the the body a new head or both 2 for the price of one.

Yes, I was wondering about woodchippers and nuclear bombs. If all the pieces are scattered, can they reconnect? Or what if you buried them under the ice in Greenland? Surely they would just enter suspended animation and be unconscious until the ice thawed. If that’s the case, what if you chained them up in front of a glacier and it simultaneously froze them and ground them to mincemeat, which then got scattered and refrozen. That’s gotta **** them up, surely.

Never mind that, how come both the female immortals had pierced ears? Surely they would heal as fast as you could piers it?

hols2
    Free Member

Never mind that, how come both the female immortals had pierced ears? Surely they would heal as fast as you could piers it?

True Blood covered that territory when the teenage girl vampire got a boyfriend, made sweet love down by the fire for the first time, but was horrified to find that her body healed up back to original condition.

prettygreenparrot

I was expecting better. Good to see Charlize Theron in another action role. There were some fun moments. But this was surprisingly simple and cliche-ridden. Even for an ‘immortals fighting for principles’ type of thing.

The pantomime pharmaceutical company CEO/villain reminded me of Jesse Eisenberg’s Lex Luthor in the risible superman v Batman. But more ridiculous.

It was nice to see that the previously buried-under-the-sea immortal turned up at the end. Presumably to pave the way for old guard #2. Might give that one a miss

I agree that ‘in order of disappearance’ is well worth watching. And the Liam Neeson remake is enjoyable.

hols2
    Free Member

And the Liam Neeson remake is enjoyable.

So you were disappointed with The Old Guard because it was cliche-ridden (which it was) with a cartoonish villian (correct again), but found a cliche-ridden Liam Neeson action movie with a cartoonish villian enjoyable?

Drac

I believe that’s what they said yes, that one film he didn’t enjoy and the other they did.

hols2
    Free Member

Just checking, it’s easy to get confused with complicated stuff like this.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘The Old Guard – Netflix’ is closed to new replies.