Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • The next Dr Who
  • Harry_the_Spider

Question:

1. Who should it be?
    2. Who will it be?

————————————————-

1. Andrew Scott / Matt Berry
    2. Somebody rubbish.

stumpyjon

I think a more pertinent question is which direction will the writing go in, it’s become distinctly meh recently. I rather felt that Whittakers entrance as a female doctor was seriously undermined by the scripts (and her goofy acting).

nickc

1. Who should it be?
    2. Who will it be?

1 Who cares

2. Who cares

Harry_the_Spider

I think a more pertinent question is which direction will the writing go in, it’s become distinctly meh recently. I rather felt that Whittakers entrance as a female doctor was seriously undermined by the scripts (and her goofy acting).

Agree.

Andrew Scott if it is dark and edgy or Matt Berry for loud buffoonery.

Jodie Whittaker was compromised by not-so-great scripts. All of the “fam” stuff etc. But hey, it is a kid’s programme and I am 52.

1 Who cares

2. Who cares

Thanks for your insight.

IHN

1 Who cares

2. Who cares

Ah, the old posting on a thread to say how much you don’t care about the subject of the thread thing. Well done, go you.

chakaping
    Free Member

Her out of Fleabag?
    Michaela Coel?
    Daniel Craig now he’s finished being 007?
    Kylie Minogue?

Bit of a poisoned chalice though really, innit?

weeksy

I think a more pertinent question is which direction will the writing go in, it’s become distinctly meh recently.

Sadly this is the case.. it’s now gone all “this is the message that all children should take away from this story”

Whereas it used to be “lets fight some monsters”

IHN

To answer the question, the thing probably needs a break, or a significant shift in direction and, well, funding. Compared to output from Netflix, Disney etc, it looks pretty low-rent.

nickc

Mleh, I’m a a fan really, but the last series, the writing was so piss poor, and lets not kid ourselves that it was much better beforehand.

It’ll be a white bloke in his 40 who can act a bit. Who plays Dr Who shouldn’t be the point of it after all.

So yeah, who cares?

DezB
    Free Member

Who cares

12 year olds?

chakaping
    Free Member

It’ll be a white bloke in his 40

I’d put money on it being a person of colour actually.

FB-ATB

Compared to output from Netflix, Disney etc, it looks pretty low-rent.

A couple of episodes of Loki looked like they were filmed in a quarry- very 70s Dr Who/Blake’s 7.

vondally
    Free Member

Riz Ahmed.

zippykona

Surely Paddy McGuiness or Claire Balding

chakaping
    Free Member

Riz Ahmed.

Yeah he’s awesome, but they’ve about as much chance of getting George Clooney to do it.

Claire Balding

Made me LOL.

Harry_the_Spider

Eddie Izzard doing it as Claire Balding?

finbar
    Free Member

Dr Who just makes me sad nowadays – some of the David Tennant/Matt Smith story arcs were almost up there with my very favourite Joss Whedon sc-fi series (even though Dr Who has always looked pretty low rent in comparison), but I can’t even watch it anymore.

Shall we take a moment to enjoy this?

midlifecrashes

Meghan Markle

nickc

I’d put money on it being a person of colour actually.

Nah, the “sizable minority” (as I seem to recall it was called) who thought that the world was ending because the last Dr had a vagina will properly loose their collective shit if he/she turns out to be black. I’d imagine that the BBC, given the culture war that’s currently swirling around them and the right wing papers, will want to totally swerve that one.

So, yeah, white man mid 40’s slightly good looking, someone the grannies can say “Ooh, isn’t he charming” etc etc…

scotroutes

Jo Martin would be a simple choice.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

someone the grannies can say “Ooh, isn’t he charming”

Snoop Dog

Tardis door opens, the mist from a Maplin’s smoke machine clears to reveal Snoop in a big fur coat, an unseen voice calls out “Exterminate!!!”

“Darleks…………………..

Fo Shizzle?”

tthew

I’d be quite happy for Jody Whitticker to continue with better writing and direction.

jekkyl

Brian blessed.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nah, the “sizable minority” (as I seem to recall it was called) who thought that the world was ending because the last Dr had a vagina will properly loose their collective shit if he/she turns out to be black. I’d imagine that the BBC, given the culture war that’s currently swirling around them and the right wing papers, will want to totally swerve that one.

So, yeah, white man mid 40’s slightly good looking, someone the grannies can say “Ooh, isn’t he charming” etc etc…

I honestly think you’re overestimating how racist the UK is. Do you spend a lot of time on Twitter?

I really can’t see it generating the same controversy as the prospect of a black James Bond, where there was contradictory source material.

johnners
    Free Member

Well, going by the photo that separates every 3rd post on this thread it’s definitely going to be Susan Tully.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I don’t really care because I’m not interested but what I do know…

A couple of episodes of Loki looked like they were filmed in a quarry- very 70s Dr Who/Blake’s 7.

Alot of old doctor who were filmed in Gllyn Rhonwy quarry on the West Bank of Llyn Padarn. I know this because i have worked on a proposal to flood it.

nickc

I honestly think you’re overestimating how racist the UK is

Hope you’re right. Either way I think the writers of the last series after  giving the job to Jody sat back and said “A Wimmin! look, a wimminz, everybody look at what we’ve done…” and then used that as an excuse/forgot how to write a decent show…I couldn’t give a toss (I think I might have said) who the next Dr is as long as it’s well written and not pulled out of some-ones arse at the last minute. (which it felt like at times last season)

jekkyl

Boris Johnson.
    Send him into **** space 😂

Kuco

Boris Johnson as a time lord? he could go back and still **** everything up.

revs1972
    Free Member

Well, going by the photo that separates every 3rd post on this thread it’s definitely going to be Susan Tully.

Michelle Ryan in my case…**
    Seeing how she looks at 36 is heart breaking ,so it would be good for her to pop back in time a bit to tidy herself up

** to be fair, she looks every bit as good as she ever did 😉

IHN

I honestly think you’re overestimating how racist the UK is. Do you spend a lot of time on Twitter?

I really can’t see it generating the same controversy as the prospect of a black James Bond, where there was contradictory source material.

I think you’re misunderstanding the culture war. The faux outrage won’t be because the new Doctor is an actor of colour, it’ll be because the BBC chose them because they are an actor of colour, which serves as another excuse to beat the BBC for being all snowflakey and woke.

jwt
    Free Member

Writing has been poor since Matt Smith left, and the only episode I remember enjoying from Peter Capaldi being the Dr was the one with two masters- Michelle Gomez and John Simm.
    Shame as I thought it was a great piece of casting, similarly I think Jodie Whittaker has been hamstrung by poor scripts and hasn’t had the story lines Matt or David Tennant or even Christopher Eccleston had the opportunity to enjoy.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Jo Martin would be a simple choice.

^ End of thread.

jekkyl

Phil Mitchell.

jekkyl

Paul Whitehouse or Vinnie Jones.

Pieface

Ricky Tomlinson or Michael Sheen

thepurist

Joe Cocker. He must be thinking of branching out from the music biz, after all he’s not released any new stuff for ages.

ElShalimo

Adults who really like Dr Who are a bit weird in the same way that 40-something year olds who are very passionate about Harry Potter are. It’s quite unsettling. What’s wrong with you people?

bridges
    Free Member

Shall we take a moment to enjoy this?

As long as we can have this:

1963! Bow down before greatness, Orbital, and all others who followed. Always the best bit of Dr Who for me. The genius of Delia Derbyshire is criminally unrecognised. That sound alone gives me the chills, never mind the Daleks!

kimbers

I think we all know who

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘The next Dr Who’ is closed to new replies.