• This topic has 75 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by GW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • The new red Fort Bill track
  • BoardinBob

Looks like fun

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Looks mighty fine. I don’t like the boardwalk stuff – but thats about my head not anything actually wrong with it.

timber

mmmmmm, yeah!

Kramer
    Free Member

Looks luverlee. Think we’ll be visiting later in the year.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I suspect the board walk is a means to an end, its a big peat bog up there, would be very hard to build a track otherwise. The DH is a “raft” of hardcore on top of the peat iirc.

druidh
    Free Member

Designed by Brio?

GW
    Free Member

quite uninteresting first 3 minutes looks like it’s just a means to getting across the bog to the good part, which does look fun!. 😀
    Who are the riders?

jumping_flea
    Free Member

looks great – think the afan weekend away will become a fort bill weekend away now!

Mister-P
    Free Member

WILLIAM. Fort William.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

WILLIAM. Fort William.

Amen!

clive
    Free Member

like that !!!!

jumping_flea
    Free Member

WILLIAM. Fort William

Sorry!

Simon

It does look fun, but all that wood is going to be well slippery in the wet.

jam-bo

looks fun. does it start from the gondola station?

GW
    Free Member

no it’s not it’ll be covered in grip paint.
    the boardwalk sections on the proper track are prob the grippiest parts of the track.

GW
    Free Member

very close to the gondola station, Jambo

jam-bo

hmmm. about time for another roadtrip from pastyland i reckon.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I shall be paying a visit forthwith.

That looks superb!

Simon

Well if it’s grip painted then fair enough, although it does wear pretty quick.
    We’ve been trialling some epoxy/sand grip stuff (that’s normally used for decking) at Stainburn on the NS and it seems to holding up fairly well.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

Only been up to fort william biking once (ten under the ben) – how busy is this trail going to get? looks like it could become packed.

GW
    Free Member

Jambo – bring us a steak one.

Simon – I’d doubt it’ll get that much traffic it’d wear away in a season, the DH track stuff holds up fine and will see far more runs what with the yearly SDA, NPS, & WC (300* riders at each) and now the DH endurance too

grumm
    Free Member

Looks ace! Def a trip up there soon.

Brycey
    Free Member

Yep, looks good fun that. Is it actually open yet, that bit at the end by the digger looked unfinished?

grumm
    Free Member

It says in the video title that it’s meant to open on the 24th of June.

devs
    Free Member

Those that have ridden it from our club say the red rating is a bit on the under-estimating side compared to say the Laggan and Golspie blacks that we ride regularly! Not wanting to put you all off but it might be a bit tougher than it looks in that vid. The penalty for getting it wrong on some of the shore sections would probably qualify you for flying pay before you impact. I hope to give it a shot soon.

markgraylish
    Free Member

That looks superb but I predict carnage!

Imagine what it’s going to be like with yer average lycra-wearing xc rider mincing down that with a group of hard-charging TLD pajama-wearing DH’ers right up their arse… 😯

Northwind

Yeaaaaah. Watching the vid, it doesn’t look too difficult, your standard glentress red runner should be OK as long as they keep the head and don’t get carried away… But the penalty for failure is going to be a lot higher than the average red. That, and all that boardwalk is going to be new to most folks, and throw in the weather to boot, and distracting views… There’s going to be some pain 🙂

Watching it, I did think it could do with a bit more width in places, not because it needs it to be ridden but because it’s got huge long single-bike-wide sections that some people will want to absolutely bomb down, and others will mince. It’d be good to have passing places. I can’t wait though, have to ride it…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Northwind – to me that looked much harder than Glentress red

Gary_C

That looks superb but I predict carnage!

Indeed,like a rider on a Gemini falling off maybe……
    (Oh that was on the ‘proper’FortBill d/h run) 😉

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

looks like a lot of fun. *needs to plan roadtrip soon*

fisha
    Free Member

To me, it looks like a Red-Downhill track as opposed to the Red-XC tracks at the likes of the 7 stanes and whatnot. So I dont think it compares too directly, and it will be tougher.

It certainly looks like the penalty for getting it wrong could be some serious air time, a lot of the jumps look like blind take offs.

lovewookie

It’ll be a case of ride fairly restrained the first couple of times, then, if you’ve any arms left from the techy sections, blast down.

looks like fun.

Looks like some people will be able to give further justification to their 6″ all mountain bikes eh?

chakaping
    Free Member

A tenner says there’ll be a handrail on that hillside boardwalk section this time next year.

Looks great though.

grumm
    Free Member

Dunno if a handrail would really make it safer. Those little boardwalk jumps/drops scare me for some reason – it’s not like it looks hard, just a mental thing. At least the hillside below looks mostly grassy!

wors

smoothtastic!

chakaping
    Free Member

Dunno if a handrail would really make it safer.

Was a joke, looks quite gentle in the vid, wonder if it’s steeper in real life.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

That’s a sh1tload of timber to keep from getting slippy over time – exposed rock sections look good but would have been nice to see some stone pitching in place of the predictable soil berms

meikle_partans
    Free Member

GW – Member
    Who are the riders?

looks like joe barnes, a german racer girl and whoever was filming which makes little boys comments like

you have squeaky brakes and you use them far? too often.

and

Person in? fronts fault. Thier going too slow

quite amusing. if you ever want to fear for the state of humanity read youtube comments eh.

grumm
    Free Member

quite amusing. if you ever want to fear for the state of humanity read youtube comments eh.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=33108335 (NSFW I suppose)

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I look forward to hurting myself on that in the near future 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘The new red Fort Bill track’ is closed to new replies.