Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The Narnia Code – anyone else watch/read this?
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00jz2qp/The_Narnia_Code/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/dec/02/cslewis-booksforchildrenandteenagers

Just watched this, it was on the other night.

Wasnt expecting much, but it gave me the same feeling of discovery i had as a child making the link between the Lion the witch and the wardrobe with the bible.

The documentary, and the author basically argues that each of the Chornicles of Narnia was based on the medieval view of the Planets, the lion the witch and the wardrobe was Jupiter, the Dawn treader = the sun etc etc.

It also raised some fairly good questions, and i particularly liked the bit at the end regarding science vs religion.

I am not a devout or religious Christian but having been brought up with v religious parents, I have more than passing knowledge of the Bible, and religion in general, so I wondered what the vocal atheists and pro religion lot on here thought of the documentary?

Eustace “in our world a star is a huge flaming ball of gas”

Ramandu “Even in your world, my son, that is not what a star is, only what it is made of”

tyger
    Free Member

Yes, I watched it and thought it was excellent. I also was excited by the discovery and wonder if this is just the begining. Very balanced opinions given by some very clever and wise people.

jova54
    Free Member

I missed it in the listings but I’ve downloaded it from iPlayer to view later.

I’ll get back to you but the opinion has always been that those in the Oxford writing group at the same time, Lewis and Tolkein included, used the bible as the basis for their fantasy stories.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Just watched it. I was a little disappointed to be honest. I didn’t think there was enough critique of the view; some of the talking heads clearly disgreed with Ward’s interpretation, but their views were cut. A shame i feel. But i think that is the way documentaries are made these days to ease their consumption (i.e. dumbed down).

The final section about science vs religion was the most interesting bit, partly because it is an inherently interesting debate, but also because it has less of Ward in it. I’m not sure why, but i found him very annoying. Not sure why that was – could have been smugness, or maybe just that stupid scarf. I might request a desk copy of the book from the publisher to see if it is any good.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Damn, I’d love to have seen this but can’t get i-player over here. Anyone know of a way of watching it abroad???

CaptJon
    Free Member

Google ‘uk proxy servers’

doc_blues
    Free Member

google ‘iplayer-dl’ and ‘ruby’

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘The Narnia Code – anyone else watch/read this?’ is closed to new replies.