Home Forums Chat Forum The Migraine – Is there a better ‘get out of work’ card?!

Viewing 3 posts - 121 through 123 (of 123 total)
  • The Migraine – Is there a better ‘get out of work’ card?!
    crazy-legs

I want to go the other way. Call in healthy.

“Hi, I feel great today and the weather is nice, I can’t be bothered wasting a day in the office so I’ll be out on my bike!”

A mate in NZ reckons that most employers are pretty accepting of the first couple of proper snow days in winter as everyone basically does exactly that – phones in and says “there’s a metre of great snow on the mountains, I’ll be skiing!”

Different culture.

Northwind

fenderextender
    Free Member

Worth noting that Nick Leeson’s first foray into wrongdoing was simply to cover up a mistake he probably would have been forgiven for. He just didn’t want to lose his wunderkind reputation over a daft mistake (not closing out a position that then turned bad).

Yup. The biggest fraud in my area started out as a dude who, one month, couldn’t pay a bill so he paid it out of a suspense account in the branch, and then paid that back a few days later. Then that worked so well he did it again, til he couldn’t pay it back. Went from “harmless” fraud to “I am now a thief” by accident. But once you’re a thief, well, might as well be hanged for the sheep, especially when you reckon you’ll get away with it.

It’s a surprisingly short and direct line from “I can’t pay my rent this month because I am careless with money” to “I am now under arrest for a heroin deal involving the Bay City Rollers” Which, somehow, he was found innocent for, but it uncovered loads of other stuff. People feel invulnerable, they feel like they’re too clever to be caught. (and then, they like to tell people how clever they are)

And yep, like I mentioned there’s loads of little gateway dishonest things to start your slidey slope on. Loads of us had extra bank accounts or credit cards because sometimes we were slightly short of making our target. Dishonest, sure. For personal gain, absolutely. Easy to justify? Sure. Enough to get someone going into some other slightly bigger game? Almost certainly. Next month they stick the targets up to an unrealistic level and you’re pissed off about it so maybe the same amount of money makes its way to you, it’s not stealing, it’s just what you were owed, right? It’s the bank who’s wrong.

Etc etc. Honesty and decency and fairness are all spectrums and they all give slightly different results.

FB-ATB

little gateway dishonest things to start your slidey slope on

Saw that with a buyer at a company I worked  at.  We had a delay getting sign off on some building work, but a delay would inpact production.
    The buyer managed to get a builder to start but had a risk if it wasn’t approved. Fortunately it was approved and work completed on time.
    The builder’s reward was that he’d get all work from now on- just needed 2 mates to provide over the top quotes.

After a while he & the buyer got greedy – the builder got an additional cut and the buyer had work done on his house for free, all priced into inflated quotes which were miles cheaper than the “competition”.

Over the years the buyer had a 2 storey extension, new kitchen and bathrooms plus an enclosed swimming pool.
    Got found out when a new site manager started who had a construction background. He thought the quotes were excessive  for a new project so looked into previous ones too.

Viewing 3 posts - 121 through 123 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.