Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • The Margaret Thatcher Film ;o)
  • billyboulders
    Free Member

Apparently they may have to classify the new Margaret Thatcher biopic “The Iron Lady” as an 18 certificate.

It contains scenes that may be upsetting for miners 😀

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

anyone seen it?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

It contains scenes that may be upsetting for miners

🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Is it just me, or is that large expanse of forehead on the posters just begging t have something written on it?

Now, children; what could we write on the blank area?

iDave
    Free Member

hh45
    Free Member

Not seen it but it sounds rather depressing being partly about dementia.

tazzymtb

saviour of Great Britain

stuff the miners

wahey maggie you goddess

take this pinko lefties

billyboulders
    Free Member

Well Elf, for the Iron Lady and that full ’80s vibe it would have to be “Very Metal” wouldn’t it? 🙂

IHN

The reviews I’ve read are basically that Streep is incredible, but the film itself is not much cop.

MSP

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAmMpnz6RoY[/video]

mudmonster
    Free Member

I would draw a bullet hole followed by the word gotcha in the blank area.

bikebouy
    Free Member

How’s about a big sloppy lipstick kiss??

thegreatape
    Free Member

You’re thinking of Gorbachev.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Anyone remember that Specialized ad in bike mags in the late eighties/early nineties, with Gorby on a bike, and the birthmark on his head was a Specialized logo?

Shoulduv cut that out and kept it, it was class.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Saw this last night. Excellent film but hard to watch for so many reasons. Not recommended for anyone who has just lost someone or who has a relative who suffers from dementia – too painful.

Streep is superb (as is her make-up) even down to the teeth. But Jim Broadbent as DT steals it for me, for his humour at the perfect time.

Having the main character someone who stirs up so much emotion adds to the natural challenges of the main subject but would be hard to watch if you were family.

Cinema deadly quiet at the end as Bach’s prelude appropriately accompanies the credit. Very moving in a painful way.

PJM1974
    Free Member

A very lefty friend of mine saw this the other day and announced “I feel kind of sorry for her now”.

I don’t.

binners

There’s nothing that could happen to that bloody woman that would elicit the slightest hint of sympathy in me

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Its a good film irrespective of your political persuasions – there is a very telling scene when she squashed Howe in a Cabinet meeting and you realise that’s the beginning of the end.

Leading Tory males are not dealt with sympathetically – I can see why Tarzan didn’t like it!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You would enjoy her suffering then binners.

If you black out the MT bit, its an interesting portrayal of living with dementia.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what binners said

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

JY – I had teed you up there and that was it!!!

My childhood years, so interesting to re-live the 70s and early 80s. Not a great period although few people seem to remember the 70s!!!

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

According to the synopsis it contains ” brief nudity ” , why do I feel so queazy

Junkyard
    Free Member

How bitter do you want me to be towards a senile old lady?

ton

a friends daughter works at the light cinema in leeds.
    told him that that nobody is going to watch it. 20 people for the 1st veiwing is the most they have had.

i reckon i will get a crowd of 30 or 40 when i have my ‘thatcher is dead’ barbie, when the time comes……. 8)

Junkyard
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmmomV-ax-s[/video]

edd

I watched it and really didn’t like it. I felt that the “present day” sections (far too long) ruined what could have been an extremely interesting biography.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There’s nothing that could happen to that bloody woman that would elicit the slightest hint of sympathy in me

Not even if she was in effect brain dead and the person who walks around in her carcass today is a completely different person to the one which existed 30 years ago ?

I have to say you show all the unflinching and steely determination not to allow compassion and emotions cloud your judgement which I would expect from a true child of Thatcher.

And since Thatcher never seized power through a military coup and would have been utterly powerless and have achieved absolutely nothing, had it not been for the millions who supported her and urged her on, do you maintain the same level of hatred and unforgiveness to the millions of her supporters ? Is there nothing they can do which will allow you to forgive them ?

For all the predictable misery and destruction which Thatcher caused she was actually “Leader of the Conservative Party”, and she served her party, industrialists, and bankers, well ….. no one can argue with that. Neither could anyone be in any doubt that she was Tory, which is more than can be said of her admirers in the Labour Party.

I don’t see the point of damning someone for being a Tory and behaving like one when they are actually leader of the Conservative Party. Makes no sense.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its a good argument you put forward ernie and I read it on another thread [ not a dig] and FWIW it changed me from despising her to just being unsympathetic

loum
    Free Member

For those that haven’t seen this yet :

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/18914

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

To die of dementia is a hard way to die. I have seen it many times and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

I still despise her tho. the damage she did to this country is incalculable and may never be healed

loum
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Not even if she … is a completely different person to the one which existed 30 years ago ?

… do you maintain the same level of hatred and unforgiveness to the millions of her supporters ? Is there nothing they can do which will allow you to forgive them ?

Fair coment about her being a different person.

However, her supporters “her party, industrialists, and bankers” continue to shaft the people of this country.
    Why do they deserve anything?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I still despise her tho. the damage she did to this country is incalculable and may never be healed

Other opinions are available.

onehundredthidiot

PP other opinions are indeed available BUT none of them truer.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Never was affected by her financially myself but at least I wasn’t blind to what she did to other people.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

However, her supporters “her party, industrialists, and bankers” continue to shaft the people of this country.

No, her supporters were not restricted to just those people. Her party, industrialists, and bankers, only account for a few thousand votes, she needed the support of millions to be able to do what she did.

Contrary to a widely held belief politicians are not the problem, the problem is the people who give them power.

Thatcher might well have only served narrow class interests, but she needed the support of millions to achieve that. And support she got, despite the fact that she comprehensively failed in all her stated aims (although she was hugely successful in her unstated aims). It took 11 years before she became an electoral liability for Tories, at which point they promptly sacked her – forcing her out of Downing Street in tears.

As I said, politicians are not the problem, the problem is the people who give them power. And you can’t begin to resolve a problem until you have correctly identified it.

konabunny
    Free Member

I watched it and really didn’t like it. I felt that the “present day” sections (far too long) ruined what could have been an extremely interesting biography.

I saw it as a member of the “I blame Fatcha” brigade, and sort of liked it, but I don’t think it’s really a biopic or historical film. (Spoiler) It’s really more of a film about dementia and the protagonist just happens to have been a Prime Minister. The historical episodes are really just the vignettes that affect her (the character’s, at least) current life.

I also don’t think it portrays Thatcher in a particularly sympathetic life as a politician, as opposed to a dementia sufferer: there’s nothing to her beyond platitudes, pigheadedness and self-belief. Not bad qualities to have if you’re climbing the greasy pole but she is not made out to be Gandhi, Mandela or Churchill by any stretch.

The actors who played Carol Thatcher and Dennis Thatcher were excellent.

binners

Ernie. Whether you like it or not, ALL the problems in our present society can be traced back directly to that woman.

What I’m offering is the same level of sympathy that she offered to the millions of people who’s lives she destroyed with such inhuman relish! You reep what you so I’m afraid!

I hardly need to ask if you witnessed the destruction her ideology wreaked on entire communities. Those who voted for her were normally safely insulted from the fall out!

Why the hell do you think that, even to this day, Tory MP’s are non-existent in large swathes of this country

Brake-neck
    Free Member

were normally safely insulted

Being insulted without fear of injury??

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Why the hell do you think that, even to this day, Tory MP’s are non-existent in large swathes of this country Scotland

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘The Margaret Thatcher Film ;o)’ is closed to new replies.