Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • The house of magnolia
  • DezB
    Free Member

2 years I’ve lived here and the walls are still all magnolia.
    Always had a female to do the choosing of colours so no idea whatsoever what to go for!
    Are muted browns still ok? Any tips/pics/hints (of apple) appreciated!

Yak

White.

cinnamon_girl

Dezzie – posters are where it’s at, you know the ones you (probably) had in your bedroom when a teenager. Don’t conform, that’s dull. 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got a Johnny Rotten poster, but its artily framed 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Cool, is he spewing expletives?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

purple, black and red?

DezB
    Free Member

Stripes or spots?

binners

Dezzie – posters are where it’s at

You know it makes sense…..

binners

For balance….

trail_rat
    Free Member

As a bloke who lives in a magnolia house. How about – magnolia.

Never go full enduro on your house walls ,

cinnamon_girl

Lol @ binners. I’m thinking of having Poldark on my bedroom wall, gotta be better than a ‘feature wall’ shirley?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

How has someone not talked Guy Martin into recreating that poster?

binners

Why don’t you commission an artist to design you a bright contemporary, yet unique print of your favourite trails, maybe even featuring yourself.

Hmmmmmmm…. If only you knew someone who could do such a thing.…. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ponders whether to go down take the piss road or give serious answers…

🙂

teef
    Free Member

White.

Cheap & no cutting in.

cinnamon_girl

Bravissimo – pi$$-taking is what you do best so go for it. 😀

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

May I suggest the following colour scheme.

jimmy

I gave up trying to have a part in decision making so my missus choose a version of beige slightly distinguishable from all the others which I’ll let you in on: Laura Ashley’s Pale Sable. Men have nearly died to get to that decision, be grateful.

DezB
    Free Member

Ponders whether to go down take the piss road or give serious answers
    Serious please. Everyone has been so helpful thus far 🙄 😆

DezB
    Free Member

My mum & dad had the tennis girl poster on their bedroom wall back in the 80s. They liked tennis.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Wallpaper… speckled grey. Furniture black ash

DezB
    Free Member

sounds lovely, but I’m not wallpapering or buying new furniture! 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Do you have a redundant bike frame to hang on the wall? Pretend it’s been ‘curated’ whatever the heck that means. Or an OS map of your fave riding area with various routes indicated by different colour highlighter pens?

It’s an opportunity to get your creative juices flowing, as the saying goes. Be bold!

DezB
    Free Member

Do you have a redundant bike frame to hang on the wall?

Yes! My old Yeti 🙂
    But I still need to paint the damn walls!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Would someone please show ‘Poldark, the pasty and ale years’ for c_g. I don’t have the skill. Thanks.

binners

Get some paint, get your mates round, get leathered then go all Jackson Pollock….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ok, I’ll go serious. If there’s one advantage to magnolia, at least it covers easily enough.

Greys & greyish blues are very popular at the moment and look really good with white woodwork – you’ll probably have to spruce your skirtings and architraves up if you give the walls a fresh coat. Personally, I’d stick with white for woodwork, but maybe eggshell instead of gloss.

If you’re doing it yourself, avoid anything too dark, you need bloody good paint and a skilled decorator to get a good finish with a dark paint.

As far as good paint is concerned, we used Fired Earth for our downstairs – but that’s ok, because the rooms aren’t massive so the expense, over say, Dulux or Jonhnstones was worth it. Our decorator who was really good said she was impressed with it anyway.

sirromj

Play around with this for inspiration and then go for magnolia because it’s easier.
    https://color.adobe.com/

BigJohn

Try Dulux chalky downs 6 for a not quite white.

DezB
    Free Member

Yes! Serious stuff. Thanks – was thinking of going for a light grey, but the sample I tried was much too dark. Dulux Polished Pebble will get tried next – will set off the 575 frame nicely 🙂

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

For not-magnolia but not *too* not-magnolia, Crown Sail White and Dulux Perfectly Taupe. Both look great with white woodwork.

crankboy
    Free Member

We got a sort of purple grey for our bedroom a German eco paint it looks nice and had the added advantage of smelling of orange peel when we applied it and while it dried.
    Willow and light green khaki for the rest of the house .

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘The house of magnolia’ is closed to new replies.