Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 2,074 total)
  • The F1 2015 thread…
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

I think the very complex engines powertrain and the very restricted testing is a bad combination.

The distribution of money could be done a lot better as well, if they want to increase competition.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Lewis looked genuinely shocked when he saw Arni walk out onto the podium, then came out with “I thought you where taller” (how to win friends and influence people). 😛

aracer
    Free Member
    hora
    Free Member

^ lost any shred of support or respect I’d ever have for them.

They ruled the roost for 4yrs. They had a good run last year too and as soon as they aren’t dominant they threaten to leave to make sure its tilted towards them?

nemesis
    Free Member

Don’t all F1 teams claim that? 🙂

Horner and Bernie are thick as thieves. They’ll be orchestrating this together to try and get the FIA to change the rules. I can’t see Merc or Ferrari (now they seem to be back on track) bending over and letting RB get away with this.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Horner, whose team won four drivers’ and four constructors’ championships between 2010 and 2013

Yes its awful when a team dominate…. though apparently only when its not your team.

nemesis
    Free Member

To be fair to RB, all of McL, Williams and Ferrari have had at least one period of dominance and when it was them they fought any attempts to level the field and also complained when other teams dominated. It’s just part of the game IMO.

Klunk
    Free Member

Red Bull gives you WHINGE

Junkyard
    Free Member

APPLAUDS 😆

I_Ache
    Free Member

They want everybody to have the same power output, well they should move to a different Formula. If all the engines were essentially the same I think I would stop watching it. Part of the lure for me is that the cars are different, thats what makes it interesting. I was annoyed when we lost a tyre manufacturer. It is about the driver, the PU, the chassis and the aero. If any one of these were common between the teams then it would get increasingly boring.

I am not a fan of one team dominating or rules changing all the time to restrict things. I think there should be some basic rules regarding safety and the size of the engine and thats it. I think it would be much more interesting if the cars looked totally different and different engine manufacturers chose different engine layouts. Imagine if we had the craziness of a fwd car like Nissans LMP1, imagine if the likes of the Tyrrell 6 wheeler and the Brabham fan car were still about.

aracer
    Free Member

The Brabham sucked

hora
    Free Member

To be fair to RB, all of McL, Williams and Ferrari have had at least one period of dominance and when it was them they fought any attempts to level the field and also complained when other teams dominated. It’s just part of the game IMO.

Agree but to say you’ll review and potentially look to leave after years of enjoying dominance and success after just one race to try and get your own way using blackmail?

Redbull always left a badtaste in my mouth.

nemesis
    Free Member

Ferrari too then, presumably…

McL and Williams don’t really have the leaving F1 option. Though McL’s current corporate direction could theoretically change that but I don’t see that happening for a long time.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If any one of these were common between the teams then it would get increasingly boring.

I disagree this year is going to be pretty tedious for the reasons you like

Its also a joke of a sport as all you ever know is who has the best car and who the best driver in that team is.
    Who is best – Vettel? Alonso? Hamilton we dont know as the one of them in the fastest car wins.

hora
    Free Member

Who is best – Vettel? Alonso? Hamilton

I’ll let you know at the end of this season.

lets not forget a green rookie beat a 2-time world champion at the top of his game and considered the most complete driver.

Lewis has had his wilderness years but that raw misfiring title has matured. Most drivers (IMO) have a short talent window. Hes got a huge amount of still raw talent.

Vettels good- never thought he wasn’t and hence why before he even won a title he was called mini-Schumacher. A title he said put too much pressure on him!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

imagine if the likes of the Tyrrell 6 wheeler and the Brabham fan car were still about.

But in those days nearly all the cars ran the same engine. The Ferrari had a Ferrari engine, virtually everyone else ran a Ford DFV.

But the rule book was a lot slimmer. imagine if the likes of the Tyrrell 6 wheeler and the Brabham fan car were still about. Nearly all the artistry and ingenuity has been literally ruled out.

I think the fuel should be reduced, but the maximum flow (and so power) can be increased. But at a cost.

At the end of a race when the tanks near empty and the power wound right back, even Marussia could coem galloping to the front.

njee20
    Free Member

Sod that. Increase fuel, bring back mid-race refuelling, engines all turned up to 100% and lets see some proper demonstrations of what the cars can do, none of this “nursing cars round” to protect tyres/fuel loads.

Trying to reduce cost and improve the green credentials in F1 by tackling things like fuel use is a ridiculous exercise IMO!

nemesis
    Free Member

Some of the cars were not filling their tanks completely last year at some races so they’ve already got to a point where fuel isn’t limiting them at least some of the time. The new rules are driving innovation in car design which IMO is what F1 should be doing.

Nursing cars around has always been part of F1 and almost certainly always will be.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Trying to reduce cost and improve the green credentials in F1 by tackling things like fuel use is a ridiculous exercise IMO!

Hardly they are prototyping and demonstrating some of the most advanced energy efficiency technologies which will have a direct application in road cars.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The Brabham sucked

I got it aracer.

igm

Bring back re-fuelling, but at a horribly slow rate and make the fuel tank a mandatory size small enough that you can make it without re-fuelling but only if you back off to conserve fuel.

And adjust the fuelling rate of there’s a safety car so that the safety car advantage of fuel saving is negated by a faster re-fuel rate.

Nothing better than a fast car/driver trying to catch a slower one late in the race.

Trimix
    Free Member

I also laughed at the sucking Brabham 🙂

nickc

dull race, made cringeworthy at the end by the “Bantz” with Arnie.

I’m all for exploiting the rules to the max, that’s what it’s about, and Merc have done an amazing job, but they all forget that it’s supposed to be entertainment at their peril. Nascar will and does clip the wings (no red bull pun intended) of any team that finds a loophole or starts to pull away from the rest. The teams know it, the fans know it, and it’s still wildly popular.

13 cars on the grid, some of them going around very slowly indeed isn’t F1, and should be a cause for concern for all invloved.

nickc

Oh, forgot:

I was also going to say, If a respected motor sport engine manufacturers like Honda and Renault are that far of the pace because the engines and associated power trains are so vastly complex, then you’ve written the rules wrong IMO

nemesis
    Free Member

It’s rather silly judging off one race – like Bernie and Di Montezemolo last year right before one of the best races for ages.

nemesis
    Free Member

Renault may be respected but you clearly don’t understand part of the reason behind why Renault are struggling so much in the current era.

Renault farmed out KERS to the teams and had no expertise in that area. As such, with the new engines where you can’t separate the parts of the PU like that, they’re still playing catch up.

Not to mention that if they’re well respected, right now that doesn’t look very well placed if they’ve come up with an engine that’s worse than last year’s (if RB are to be believed and that is a big if…).

Changing to hybrid was always going to be difficult as it’s new technology – at F1 level at least – but it’ll pay dividends which again, is exactly what F1 should be IMO. Right now they’re ‘vastly complex’ because they’re still new to it but that’ll change – just look at engine (PU) changes – at the start of last year it was taking half a day. Now it’s down to three hours or so. Similarly, the engines will level out as the designs and concepts get shared as people move teams (see Bob Bell is now working for Renault).

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

we all seem to forget that it is now only a show.. its not a sport / competition. Its an advertising board that goes around 50 or so laps.

I rather enjoyed the formula E .. admittedly 3/4 of the grid were ex f1 drivers but at least the result wasnt determined at the first corner and the winner wasnt the p1-3 on the grid. The race unfolds which adds to the excitement.

nickc

nemisis, I hope you’re right, and it’s probably wrong to judge from just one race, but it needs to get an awful lot better than Sunday’s peformance!

nemesis
    Free Member

Too right but every year has boring races and even Sunday was a million miles from many of the snoozefests of the early 2000s.

aracer
    Free Member

Was actually a metaphorical as well as literal point – I was going to suggest that it was bad for F1, but that was the word which sprang to mind and I couldn’t resist the pun. Fun as a novelty, but does anybody think an arms race of assisted downforce would have made exciting racing?

nemesis
    Free Member

It’s an interesting question – on the one hand, the cars would have been massively less affected by following another car which in theory would lead to better racing but the issue of pebbles, etc being fired out of the back of the cars would have been hard to solve and eventually I think we’d have got to a point where drivers would need g-suits to cope with the forces the cars would have generated.

Not to mention that it has absolutely no relevance to road cars…

Rear cannoned Brabham

Trimix
    Free Member

Well you need them to be able to overtake each other. So you need less down force and braking that takes longer to slow the car down.

DRS has turned out to be a good thing in the end.

Also anything that adds strategy make it more interesting, so different compound tyres will do that. Will conserving fuel do the same thing ?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

McLaren chassis is not that bad at all. Perez is on the better line and half a car length going into the corner yet Button exits the corner faster and ahead despite being off line.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdmDm9e_PwQ[/video]

nemesis
    Free Member

That’s what DC said, wasn’t it – Perez got surprised by how late JB could brake into the corner and had clearly expected to be ahead

nickc

Rear cannoned Brabham

😆

johndoh
    Free Member

The thing is, we don’t need things making into a level playing field – Look at the A1 Grand Prix. I initially thought it would be a really interesting approach but boy was it boring – there needs to be different cars with different capabilities (some better on certain tracks, others at different circuits). Yes, Mercedes do have a huge advantage at the moment but I don’t see that there is anything to be gained by throttling their development just to help other teams catch up.

And is it just me or do the engines sound really odd this season? I quite liked the whine of last year’s engine but they sounded all over the place at Melbourne.

shermer75
    Free Member

Just watched ‘Racing Legends’ on BBC 2. Amazing!! I never really knew much about John Surtees- he always seems to be the British champ that gets overlooked for some reason, but the man is clearly a legend. Great stuff!

slowoldman

The problem with “johnny come lately” outfits like RB is that it’s just a marketing scheme. They get tied into a shit engine package then if the results don’t come, the marketing doesn’t work and they’ll run away – or threaten to unless things change to suit them.

There have always been lean periods for teams in F1 but the committed racers work hard at it nonetheless until fortunes turn around. Yes Williams, you.

KonaTC

fr0sty125 – Member

McLaren chassis is not that bad at all. Perez is on the better line and half a car length going into the corner yet Button exits the corner faster and ahead despite being off line.

For me this was about the only excitement in the whole race and shows the promise of the McHonda

nickc

The problem with “johnny come lately” outfits like RB

they’ve been about in various guises since 1997, when do they stop being “johnny come lately”?

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 2,074 total)

The topic ‘The F1 2015 thread…’ is closed to new replies.