Home Forums Chat Forum The effect of safety attire on perceptions of cyclist dehumanisation

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • The effect of safety attire on perceptions of cyclist dehumanisation
    Brainflex

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1369847823001018?via%3Dihub#f0010

Highlights
    •30 % of respondents (n = 563) considered cyclists less than fully human.

•Cyclists with helmets were perceived as less human compared to those without.

•Cyclists with safety vests and no helmets were perceived as least human.

•Dehumanisation related more to visible safety gear than obstruction of hair/eyes.

•Perceptions of dehumanisation varies based on respondent gender.

dyna-ti

Add Lycra to the criteria and you’re probably perceived as doing the planet a favour should you run over one.

BruceWee

I cunningly disguise myself as a human being when commuting.

hightensionline

“That’s correct, your Honour; I noticed something riding a bicycle, but I couldn’t be sure that it was a person, so I just drove over them. Or it.”

Cruelty to animals (even vermin) is still a crime though, eh?

jameso

Recent research from Australia

Never heard anything good about cycling on the roads in Aus

zomg

“That’s correct, your Honour; I noticed something riding a bicycle, but I couldn’t be sure that it was a person, so I just drove over them. Or it.”

I’m pretty sure there must have been a low sun, or the kind of minutes-long vacant seizure that could happen to anyone else who coincidentally thoroughly hates cyclists in general but definitely didn’t casually murder this particular one on the roads: the like-minded jury would never convict.

Bruce

I happy not to be considered human.
    The examples of human include.
    The Tory party, Trump,Musk,Putin, Farage the Israeli leadership,and too many to mention. Non human is fine by me.

BruceWee

The Tory party, Trump,Musk,Putin, Farage the Israeli leadership,and too many to mention

Funnily enough, all these people/groups have regularly used dehumanising language to justify their opinions and/or policies.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

No cycling clothes on me.No problems with other users except the odd idiot bus driver.

gobuchul
    Free Member

IME, a flashing red LED rear light in the day time, really seems to annoy drivers.

imnotverygood

It’s Australian research. It doesn’t necessarily invalidate the findings but anti-cycling attitudes are even more prevalent than the UK.

TiRed

Now run the same analysis for a control group like, say,  builders, who may or may not wear safety equipment. File under junk research.

bikesandboots

More like a hobby road cyclist you look, worse you’ll get it IME.

High vis, drop bars, crouched position, tight shorts, glasses, it all adds up.

maccruiskeen

IME, a flashing red LED rear light in the day time, really seems to annoy drivers.

My experience seems to be quite the opposite. In rural settings particularly I seem to get fewer close / fast pass, passes on bends etc when using lights in the daytime. A bit like having a flashing light on heavy plant when its on the road – its not like drivers are going to fail to notice a JCB but the flashing light seems to start people thinking about having to pass a slower vehicle sooner

It’s Australian research. It doesn’t necessarily invalidate the findings but anti-cycling attitudes are even more prevalent than the UK.

I think theres been similar but simpler studies measuring differences in space given by drivers depending on how the cyclist is dressed here showing that drivers give less space to cyclists in cycling attire and a helmet than they do to cyclists in civvies – not sure if thats aggressive treatment of one type of cyclist over another or maybe a perception that ‘cyclists’ are more predicable the ‘a bloke on a bike’. However it also showed that less space was given to female cyclists than male.

Blackflag
    Free Member

•Cyclists with helmets were perceived as less human compared to those without.

•Cyclists with safety vests and no helmets were perceived as least human.

Do these not contradict each other re. the wearing of a helmet?

jameso

High vis, drop bars, crouched position, tight shorts, glasses, it all adds up.

Which proves the idiocy of so many drivers?

(btw do you mean the more ‘road pro’ looking the worse you get it, or less?)

maccruiskeen

We seem to have a cultural dislike of hi viz jackets and the people who wear them. I work in circumstances where we have to ask anyone coming on site to wear one and it can be amazing how resistant to put a yellow vest on some people can be – you’re basically asking them to dress up as a class of person they seemingly hate. So I suspect the jacket/no helmet points towards a class dislike of someone who is also on a bike rather than a cyclist dislike.

dissonance

First one I think should be cyclist with helmets less human than someone without either a helmet or vest.

Odd the vest without helmet scored lowest vs vest and helmet.

jameso

However it also showed that less space was given to female cyclists than male.

Other way round iirc?

Yes – covered here – https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0001457506001540

“Overtaking motorists pass closer to a bicyclist when the rider wears a helmet, rides away from the edge of the road, is male, or when the vehicle concerned is a bus or heavy goods vehicle. Based on previous work on drivers’ perceptions of bicyclists, we have suggested that many of these effects are the result of motorists making assumptions about bicyclists’ behaviours based on a brief visual assessment of their likely experience levels.”

Summary, weave around a bit and don’t try to look too pro.

bikesandboots

btw do you mean the more ‘road pro’ looking the worse you get it, or less?

Former. Don’t look like you’re serious about road cycling or communting (panniers etc.).

Ride a mtb in jeans and t shirt, no glasses you’re ok.

tomhoward

Guy I used to ride with, posted this. He’s also pathologically opposed to any cycling provision, whatsoever, that might impede a car. IMG_3544

slowoldman

No one has ever had a go at me about it – and I’m all lycrad up an’ everyfink.

Summary, weave around a bit and don’t try to look too pro.

I think the right approach is the same as when driving a car – assertive not aggressive. Do your best to make others around you aware of your intensions.

matt_outandabout

Schroeder’s cyclist.

Superficial
    Free Member

Now run the same analysis for a control group like, say, builders, who may or may not wear safety equipment. File under junk research.

I’m not sure I understand this. It might not be exactly representative of UK attitudes, and it might not tell you exactly what you should wear, but it provides some insight into attitudes.

The ‘othering’ point in the discussion is interesting; they hypothesise that riders who wear more cycling gear are more likely to appear committed to an ‘other’ group. It’s not to do with visually looking unlike a human, it’s more like waving a cycling pride flag that upsets motorists. If you’re gonna cycle, at least have the decency to do it shamefully. /s

jameso

I think the right approach is the same as when driving a car – assertive not aggressive. Do your best to make others around you aware of your intensions.

Being more serious, oc I agree. When I’m in traffic, I am traffic – same for driving or cycling. It’s those trying to beat the traffic at every opportunity that causes grief.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Ive thought for a long time that i’m safer on the road by not looking like a lycra roadie.

Outside of London the main focus of anger seems to be road clubs slowing down traffic at the weekend. So avoiding looking like one of those reduces the motorists prejudice i suspect.

I now ride in full ceremonial military uniform with the words “lest we forget” on my back. Seems to work.

MoreCashThanDash

Being more serious, oc I agree. When I’m in traffic, I am traffic – same for driving or cycling. It’s those trying to beat the traffic at every opportunity that causes grief.

Exactly my view. Seems to a minority view amongst both drivers and cyclists though.

TiRed

I’m not sure I understand this. It might not be exactly representative of UK attitudes, and it might not tell you exactly what you should wear, but it provides some insight into attitudes.

Try riding a black bike in police uniform with or without a helmet, and see how you are treated. Of course perceptions are based on priors; in all disciplines. One of those might be use of relevant safety equipment. Or even just attire. Do you consult your patients in shorts and a T Shirt? It’s an uncontrolled study that shows that people have prior beliefs. But that’s a given in all aspects of life, hence the need for a control in the experiment.

IdleJon

I have a pet theory that plenty of drivers don’t think about cyclists for any longer than it takes to get them out of their field of vision, and then they are forgotten, hence why you get overtaken and turned across, etc. Drivers are roughly as attentive as a goldfish, and once past obstacle A will then focus on obstacle B if there is one, or just go back to following the car in front in a sheep-like way.

And I’ve raised this point about eyesight many times – there was an ad for one of the opticians a while ago stating that something like 23% (I can’t remember the exact figure, sorry) of drivers should be wearing glasses but don’t. That’s a whole lot of people who may not see you – cyclist or pedestrian, cat or dog, hole in the road or debris – until they almost drive over you.

I suspect that the vast majority of drivers don’t give a flying fig how you dress on the bike because they are only aware of you for the length of time it takes to pass you, safely or not.You are only ‘dehumanised’ because you are an unusual obstacle to their progress.

bensales
    Free Member

I now ride in full ceremonial military uniform with the words “lest we forget” on my back. Seems to work.

Joking aside, I’ve seen a lot of American cyclists comment on Reddit that when riding in a red state, they get less abuse if they wear a Stars & Stripes jersey.

Mister-P
    Free Member

“Schroeder’s cyclist.”

Schrödinger’s cyclist.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I had an old chap stop me and tell me my rear light was too bright.  I pointed out that if he saw me then it was serving its purpose and if he was blinded by it maybe he should consider getting his eyes checked for astigmatism.  That’s the only time I’ve ever been challenged for being too visible.

dyna-ti

I’m probably not helping by crossing the road via a toucan crossing while on the bike. You can just feel their eyes burning into you lol

ampthill

I’d say that the research was pretty useless to me

Based in Australia

Photos look nothing like i would on a bike. Most of my car interactions are being passed from behind

It seems reasonable to imagine that the situation there encounter cyclists effects the judgement about the cyclists attire

I’d be much more interested in noting people’s reactions passing cyclists in a driving simulator

midlifecrashes

It says in there a perception of hair makes cyclists safer.

What wig for…?

zilog6128

I’ve always thought there was something to this line of thinking, tbh. Completely anecdotally, unscientifically – when I bought a “butchers bike” style thing (Cannondale Treadwell with front basket, obvs don’t dress in lycra or usually wear a helmet with it) to use for my short commute/ride to pub etc, I definitely feel drivers & peds treat me more kindly – more smiles, even got let out at a junction the other day by a Range Rover driver!

matt_outandabout

Try riding a black bike in police uniform with or without a helmet, and see how you are treated.

One of my pals did this for a few years. Sometimes in black, no helmet. Sometimes in full lycra…once in uniform because he was intrigued if any drivers would notice.

Apparently there was one gent who wound down window to shout at him to wear a helmet / get off road etc – who only realise the luminous jacket was a Police one…

Usually though he rode his bike and radiod his colleague up ahead with the perp’s details.

Sadly it was me who was assaulted one day by a driver as we co-led a group of kids on a bike ride.. I would love to have seen the drivers face when the most experienced traffic officer in Scotland introduced himself…

funkmasterp

I commute to work on a Genesis Smithfield. Big pannier bags, no lycra, just shorts and a club ride shirt. Sometimes with a helmet, sometimes without. I’ve had no close passes or incidents since May when I started. Circa 15 miles each way.

If I’m on the MTB with riding gear on its close pass central on the way to my local loop. Not sure what would happen if I got a road bike and started wearing lycra. I assume I’d be immediately runover.

maccruiskeen

“Schroeder’s cyclist.”

CountZero

We seem to have a cultural dislike of hi viz jackets and the people who wear them. I work in circumstances where we have to ask anyone coming on site to wear one and it can be amazing how resistant to put a yellow vest on some people can be – you’re basically asking them to dress up as a class of person they seemingly hate.

When I started a job as a vehicle logistics driver, it was an absolute requirement to wear hi-viz all the time, many businesses had a safety policy of hi-viz being worn on site, so the only time I didn’t have one on in a vehicle was when the weather was crap, because I was wearing a hi-viz coat. When I started working at one of the sites I used to visit, hi-viz was again a requirement because of continuous vehicle movements, but what got me was self-employed drivers were always turning up without hi-viz, despite it being required at most places they’d be picking up from.
    When I started there, they would hand out a vest to a driver while on site, and ask for it back when they left, but when Cazoo took over, they had less tolerance – any driver without were pointed in the direction of a place on the estate where they could buy one, and they could come on site once they’d got one, but only then; that meant at least 35-40 minutes wasted when they could have been driving the car away. Some drivers got really pissy about it, didn’t help them much!
    I accumulated quite a collection of hi-viz jackets and vests, that I found in cars, and were issued, I’ve got enough in my car for a full complement of people in the event of an incident that required everyone having to get out of the car, and I’d insist on them being worn.

I’d never wear one on a bike, though I’d usually have flashing lights on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.