Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The daily commute : stoopid boxes –> sharp bar end plugs?
  • easyrider
    Free Member

Anybody know of some barend blugs that are designed to scratch up cars?
    The reason? I’ve had enough of cars cutting me up on the way into work, or parking in the bike lane.
    The least they deserve is some scratches!

ruscle
    Free Member

Pocket full of odd small coins should do the trick (£1 coins do the most damage if you can afford it!) 😈

wwaswas

don’t fall off.

easyrider
    Free Member

Where can I buy them?
    Maybe I’ll put one on my helmet as well.

druidh
    Free Member

They are handlebar grips?

wwaswas

http://www.fixiefiend.com/uncategorized/chrome-straight-pointed-fixed-gear-handlebars/

not the above, but similar and much more designed for the urban car damage market.

DT78
    Free Member

Whilst they look hugely uncool, I always thought the wing mirror type attachement that sticks out from your bars would be a good idea if I commuted in london. Hopefully that would give you an extra 3-4 inches and they are fairly noticable – maybe paint it in a bright colour?

I am lucky to have to only ride a few miles on roads every day, but it does confuse (and annoy) me that drivers overtake then pull in really close to the curb so you can’t get past whilst there are sat in a jam. It is a completely deliberate act to try and block for no real gain. As it is I bunny hop onto the pavement and back in front of them, but still…. why bother?

wwaswas

just seen the name of those bar end plugs ‘car scratcher’ how appropriate 🙂

easyrider
    Free Member

Yeah things like that…..
    The best option (safest & quickest) is to cycle in the middle of the road in town.
    But cars drivers do get in a funny state of mind after sitting in a jam for hours so who know’s what they’ll do?
    This morning I had a Police car behind me, a car in front stopped on the cycle lane, I made eye contact with Police (they did not do anything). Then a bad ass van driver parked on the cycle lane… causing me to swerve out in the centre of the road…into path of oncoming truck..
    Then 100 metres up the road a sign warning cyclists of fines for cycling on the pavement!

WTF!

easyrider
    Free Member

: Wish I had a video of it

butcher

Had someone pull up to the right of me at a crossroads the other day. Then he decided to turn left….I was going right.

I too would like to know where I can get these bar end plugs.

prezet
    Free Member

I would like something similar – but more for skewering the idiot pedestrians who seem to walk out in front of me time and time again… most of them don’t even look, they just step straight off the pavement.

mashiehood
    Free Member

chaps, please no! criminal damage is not clever! i commute to work most days, and as long as I ride sensibly, all is good. Yes, there is the argument some road users are plain idiots, but its the minority and not the majority.

easyrider
    Free Member

Well, would you remove the wing mirrors from your car just in case you hit another cars wing mirrors whilst going over that narrow hump backed bridge?
    I would not.
    So why would I want to remove my shiny spiky bar ends (I postulate) just because a car might drive into them?
    (Or I might scratch my own car with them whilst going up the drive…)

easyrider
    Free Member

Besides banging on a car (in submission almost) with your hand hurts and does no damage.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mashiehood, +many.

easyrider
    Free Member

Try thinking about it a little.
    If all commuter cyclists in the UK had shiny spiky scratchy bar ends
    AND cameras on their helmets
    AND the Police acted upon misbehaviour (both parties)
    the problem of cars cutting cyclists up on the roads would diminish,
    which would mean more cyclists on the roads
    which in turn would increase cyclists safety by increasing awareness

mrdestructo

Damaging their car could cause them to drive straight for you. That’s a no win situation. If it is really happening too much on your commute then start wearing hard elbow armour. You can make a right bang on their window that shocks them into moving, or just slide it along and the hard plastic makes them worry for the shininess of their car.

daleftw
    Free Member

Fill your bottle with paint stripper.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Of course Sheldon Brown was there first

easyrider
    Free Member

Body armour ? I’m a cyclist not an american footballer.
    Good old Sheldon, sadly missed..sniff

mintimperial

Hmm. Further antagonising the sort of gibbering rage-monkeys who deliberately cut up cyclists isn’t a very good idea. I’d rather not be flattened by some Neanderthal minicab driver because someone else on a bike scratched up his scabby old Avensis.

Sneakily following them home, and then setting fire to their houses while they sleep would be a much more effective way of dealing with this issue…

easyrider
    Free Member

Aha : so that is what all those shopping baskets are doing on the front of girls bikes! 😀

brakes
    Free Member

be the Zen master.
    chuckle to yourself at their lack of inner peace.
    relax.
    be patient.
    if you get in front of them again, do not look or acknowledge them but block the road for a bit so their net gain in time is wiped out.
    no aggression.
    enlightenment.
    be the Zen master.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

fish oil in the air vents

andyl
    Free Member

just hang some thorny branches off the side of your bars.

They do enough scratches to my car when other cars drive straight past the passing space and force me into the hedge 👿

brakes
    Free Member

haha, you country-folk and your weird country ways.
    hedges? haha.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Think what you’ll find when you try and ‘use’ your now sharpened bar ends is that they will dig in, flip you off your bike and throw you under the HGV tailgating the car that did you an unjustice.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘The daily commute : stoopid boxes –> sharp bar end plugs?’ is closed to new replies.