Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The curse of the immaculate inner tube
  • anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

OK. Odd question, why will some innertubes, no matter how carefully sanded, dryed, air blasted or cursed, simply never take a patch?

I’ve come across a couple of ‘immaculate’ innertubes that refuse to be fixed in my time riding bikes. One puncture = useless tube. I got wondering while sitting in the rain waiting to be rescued last night.

100 points to the first person to say ‘shoulda gone tubeless’ 🙂

ianpinder
    Free Member

I run a small bit of sealant inside my tubes, takes care of most small punctures

portlyone

I might have had loads… usually just the punctured ones away

soobalias
    Free Member

fixing punctures in the wild, doomed

sometimes it works ok, mostly ur doomed

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

There is no reason . Maybe your 1 puncture was actually 2 or you just did it wrong . Too lazy to repair punctured tubes myself always replace them .

nickjb
    Free Member

Never had one like that, a few tricky ones that needed a second go but none that refused. Double gluing seems to help. Two thinner layers rather than one gloopy one.

alfabus
    Free Member

shoulda gone tubeless

(woo, points!)

Gibbysrabbit
    Free Member

Carry spare tubes. Puncture repair kits are for using in front of the TV when you’re warm and have time to do it right.

theflatboy
    Free Member

crap patches? but agreed on avoiding fixing on the fly by carrying spare tube(s) instead, as far as possible.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Ramsey Neil – Member
    Too lazy to repair punctured tubes myself always replace them

seriously?! i’ll email you my address and pay postage if you want to send them my way when you dispose of them!

warton
    Free Member

I run a small bit of sealant inside my tubes, takes care of most small punctures

I’ve been thinking of buying those slime filled tubes for my commuter. Can you just buy a bottle of tubeless sealent instead? How easy is it to get in?

wwaswas

warton – if you get tubes witht he removable cores then no more difficult than with a tubeless tyre – use one of the Joe’s ‘injector’ bottles and squirt 70mils of sealant in.

zilog6128

I’ve been thinking of buying those slime filled tubes for my commuter.

They are quite heavy but I have done 2,000 commuter miles (on & off road) since switching to them and no punctures so far!

aracer
    Free Member

(woo, points!)

I think they were negative points, as seen on QI

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

If you use wheel milk which has no particles in it you can just inject it through the tube with a large syringe and the sealant will repair the hole straight away .

Theflatboy
    I run tubeless on MTB and hardly ever puncture on my road bike or commuter so don’t hold your breath . Probably the kiss of death for myself now and will have loads of punctures .

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I think they were negative points, as seen on QI

Eeezactly 🙂

This puncture was repaired in a nice warm office, over lunch, and was def 100% pukka when refitted. I have been fixing punctures successfully for 20 years … the quick patches didn’t want to take either, but that was becuase the bus shelter didn’t afford that much protection, and I couldn’t find any completely dry clothing to wipe the tube.

I didn’t have a spare with me this time, becuase I was on another bike to my normal commuter – someone having helpfully driven into it a while ago. I’ve tried, not altogether successfully, to try and get a 2.2 tube in a 1″ tyre before now, so being rescued was a better option than to play that game.

I love this forum. I know exactly what replies I’ll get before I post. Occassionally though, you get a nugget of wisdom 🙂 I take it nobody knows on this Q though …

pjt201
    Free Member

I expect it’s to do with grease on the tube rather than water adh – a wipe might not remove it.

Random
    Free Member

[*]Can you narrow down ‘immaculate tubes’ to a particular brand?[/*]
    [*]Have you tried self-adhesive patches on these tubes rather than the rubber solution/patch combo?[/*]
    [*]Are you allowing your rubber solution time to dry up before applying the patch ? (Apologies for the egg-sucking here).[/*]

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Could be grease paddy. Dunno where it’ll have come from mind.

Random – yep, I am allowing the glue to dry and en-tackyfy. Worry ye not about sucking eggs 🙂

I’ve never noticed it confined to a particular brand. Probably cheap no-name tubes are more prone. Never noticed it on a branded tube. I just wondered if there were different grades of rubber, or if different fillers had been added to the material, some of which won’t mend.

TooTall
    Free Member

Glue past it’s best? Lighter tubes stretching more? Old patches? Not talc/chalking them before putting them back in the tyre and them sticking to the tyre and ripping off?

TOO MANY VARIABLES NOT SPECIFIED!!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

😥

life = TMV

The glue is pretty ancient mind. I neglected to carry talc with me too. Such a noob!

fourbanger
    Free Member

Have you tried giving them a rub with vulcanising solution first (granted it’s not normally carried on the trail..)? I’ve only ever had problems when it’s cold and there’s a bit of moisture in the air.

mustard
    Free Member

I had some cure-c-cure patches which were too stiff and wouldn’t stick properly (Decathlon own brand ones seem to be very good and aparently ‘made in the UK’). Those and some Airwave tubes, that were covered in rings of what looked to have been bubbles in the rubber when the tube was being made and were consequently very weak, made for a very frustrating couple of days in bike shop free rural Portugal this year. I will never buy Airwave tubes or cure-c-cure patches ever again!

ruffrider

Carry spare tubes. Puncture repair kits are for using in front of the TV when you’re warm and have time to do it right.

Me too…

kcr
    Free Member

I have found the Park glueless patches to be pretty reliable.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I don’t know why but it’s just that some combinations of goo and patch won’t work, a chemical incompatibility perhaps?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think there is an incompatibility with some glues and some tubes. Some old school glues are rubber solution that will not stick to synthetic tubes, modern glues are more like airfix kit glues. NO mention of this on sheldon brown however

TiRed

Park glueless have not let me down. Even when on my last patch on my spare tube after dropping the peeled patch face down in the wet 😳 . But I have found some of the modern tubes don’t take rubber solution well. I only used Tip Top patches too.

Always remember to sqeeze the air out of the tube of rubber solution.

Run Schwalbe “Plus” tyres is my best defence – never punctured one. Which is helpful because removing the backwheel of the fixed, with guards is a pain.

AlexSimon

I’ve had this problem.
    On two tubes bought at the same time. As a result I’ve never bought the same tubes again.

It was Tip Top glue on Schwalbe tubes.

Tried about 3 times on one (sanding, washing, etc). Then gave up after just one attempt on the other.

Most other tubes I’ve had have been Specialized and Continental and I’ve never had that problem before.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem with my Schwalbe tubes tbh. Weird

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘The curse of the immaculate inner tube’ is closed to new replies.