Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • The cult of orange?
  • frank4short
    Free Member

Now i'm not knocking Orange's here cause in my opinion they're not bad bikes however i'd also say they aren't all that. What is it about them though that makes most orange owners so bloody annoying in their feverish devotion to them? Seriously why obsession like devotion? Or is there an induction course to join the cult that you've to go on whilst in the process of purchasing?

wool

Yup you got it right in one, induction course for all !

and all join in " oranges are fab, oranges are fab, oranges are fab"

oh yes i am obsesive would you like some photos?

MikeT-23
    Free Member

wah-wah waaaah wah, wa-wa-waaah my P7 wahhh waaaah wahhh in addition wah wah waaah, my lovely 5!

Thread closed!

MikeT-23
    Free Member

*slips into orange robes, raises arms aloft and loudly moans*

Jooooiiiiiinnnnnnn uuuussssssssssssssss

JOOOOIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNN UUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

*slips out of orange robes, places 'em neatly on a hanger, puts hanger in wardrobe, and pops out for a ride*

boxelder

Why does it bother you?
    Have you owned one?
    Give it 2 years and people will be bitching about Lapierre.
    I've a 1996 Clockwork – it's OK…..

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Had an original Sub 5 – loved it. snapped it.

Orange were wonderful and replaced it with a Patriot in 2002 – I still use that as my main trails bike.

I also have an Alpine 160 (for sale) which is wonderful going down (ooooh-eerrrrr) but a bit lardy for me on anything XC related.

What I have worked out is bike are very individual – what suits one will not suit another. But Orange make decent bikes that have very few 'go wrong' points on them.

I have owned a great many other bikes but my Patriot is perfect for me.

Is it cult, or is it just that they've made bikes that suit some really well (rather then shit that suits the masses somewhat)?

I like oranges me 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

Orange
    On One
    Singular
    Cove
    Cotic
    etc etc

Pick your brand, the acolytes will follow. People like stuff. People talk about the stuff they like. People get aersey about other people and disagree. Silly isn't it?

Tiboy

DrRSwank, what size is your alpine? and how much are you after for it? email in profile if you'd rather not shout it out! Cheers

fwokinfwok
    Free Member

Brand loyalty. They're a little bit different from the mass produced corporate giants and seem to be bothered about making good bikes, not globalisation.

votchy
    Free Member

I have an Orange, does that make me a cult? 😉

el_diablo
    Free Member

I have an Orange 5 and I also have a Marin Rocky Ridge.

Have I sinned?

thumbie
    Free Member

Did someone say Orange?

DezB
    Free Member

I can't say I've noticed this. Most people think their bikes are great don't they? Otherwise they'd change them.
    I own a Yeti btw. We have a Tribe meet. (I've never been though)

benji_allen
    Free Member

They're simple.
    They're reliable.
    They're British.

Join meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

They're a little bit different from the mass produced corporate giants and seem to be bothered about making good bikes, not globalisation.

Is it cult, or is it just that they've made bikes that suit some really well (rather then shit that suits the masses somewhat)?

I've never ridden an Orange, although they look nice enough, but the comments above seem to suggest that they're somehow keeping it real and making bikes not just as good as but better than others (who I'm assuming are people like Trek, Spesh, Giant etc). I've a hard time believing this is true.

Mark

most orange owners

That's not true though is it.. Not really..

In fact what would be more accurate if you consider the number of so called 'Orange worshippers' to actual sales of Orange bikes, I think you'd agree that it's not really 'most' or to use another word that means the same in this context, 'majority' is it. In fact wouldn't you say it's more accurately expressed as 'minority'? or in other words.. the exact opposite of what you said?

Sirneildementure
    Free Member

I have a Yeti and an Orange. The shrinks would have a field day if they ever caught me.

yetiguy
    Free Member

Orange owners belong to a cult.

Yeti owners belong to a tribe

Its all just brand loyalty. And no I have not YET been to a tribe gathering

DezB
    Free Member

Sir Neil Dementure – Member
    I have a Yeti and an Orange. The shrinks would have a field day if they ever caught me.

Can you decide which one is the best bike ever?

foxyrider
    Free Member

What about all those people who love Treks, or speccies etc. Don't forget we are in the UK and some people are rather patriotic and so like to support UK companies i.e Hope, Kinesis UK, Pace?, Orange, USE …… and were are on a UK forum!

Sirneildementure
    Free Member

Can you decide which one is the best bike ever?

Serious answer – No.

Flipant answer – the one I'm riding at the moment.

Don't think I'm good enough to use either bike to it's full potential. Use the 575 on all day XC rides where it does everything I ask of it without complaint. Use the P7 mainly on trail centre days where it's just a hoot flying round berms and bends. Much more fun on the tight twisty stuff that the 575.

Which is the best? Who knows.

uplink
    Free Member

Its all just brand loyalty. And no I have not YET been to a tribe gathering

I have a Yeti – someone please shoot me if you ever hear me mentioning – or even thinking out loud – about joining or attending anything that describes itself as a 'Tribe'

I used to have an Orange 5 – I've be called a lot of things but I'm pretty sure a cult isn't one of them 🙂

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i can't say I've noticed Orange owners being any more fanatical than Turner/Ibis/LaPierre/SC/OnONe/Dialled Bikes etc.

Now Yeti owners. They're truly geeks.

Sirneildementure
    Free Member

Now Yeti owners. They're truly geeks.

Have a look at the Yetifan forum. There's some serious freaks on there.

I too have never even thought about going to a tribe meet, or buying one of the jerseys. That's the mark of a real saddo.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Is it a bit like cars. Feverish devotion to Ford? Hmmm not likely. Volkswagen? More feasable.

DezB
    Free Member

I too have never even thought about going to a tribe meet, or buying one of the jerseys. That's the mark of a real saddo.

I've got a t-shirt. Does that count? Not that I mind being a geek when it comes to bikes, of course.

Sirneildementure
    Free Member

DezB, don't you frequent the Yeti forum? Seem to remember you posting on there.

MrNutt
    Free Member

this was me during the Orange "Owner Induction" Session shortly after committing to my SubZero

Now repeat after me:

"Blessed is the sound of a filing cabinet being thrown down the stairs"
    "Buy British!"
    "Oranges are the only fruit"
    "I accept that I shall always have a sh*t eating grin on my face after every descent"

yeah I love em!

DezB
    Free Member

Sir Neil Dementure – Member
    DezB, don't you frequent the Yeti forum? Seem to remember you posting on there.

I don't think frequent is the word! I've been on there once or twice scrounging for bits (it worked).
    (I've also got a Cove t-shirt)

benji_allen
    Free Member

"Blessed is the sound of a filing cabinet being thrown down the stairs"

lmfao.

spanishbarry
    Free Member

I am Originally from Halifax the home of Orange ,were proud of them around here ,lets face it the football team and rugby team arent anything to be proud of and a friend of mine works there and my father in law knows Steve Wade. Only ever ridden Oranges ,great bikes !

RichPenny
    Free Member

I've got a couple at the moment, and have owned another in the past. Actually, all of my mountain bikes bar the first have been Oranges 🙂

The British connection is important to me and I'd guess a few others. Given that they're the biggest UK bike company?, wouldn't you expect lots of chatter about them on a UK forum?

When you say "they're not all that" I'm impressed. You must be well connected to have ridden all the different models 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Like On-One, they're no nonsense and do what they say on the tin, they also lean towards designing bikes for UK conditions. People appreciate those qualities in a market awash with marketing guff and californian mud clearances.

yetiguy
    Free Member

To the "tribe members" on here. Who apparently visited the yetifan site once or twice.

Is that like saying "I have done pot, but didn't inhale"

Have any of you got a yetifan sticker on your bikes?

Oh and I think there is a serious opportunity for some IT guy to create an "orangefan site"

Sirneildementure
    Free Member

Oh and I think there is a serious opportunity for some IT guy to create an "orangefan site"

There is one, of sorts

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/main/myorange.php

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘The cult of orange?’ is closed to new replies.