Home Forums Chat Forum The Conservative Party leadership vote…

• This topic has 316 replies, 81 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 318 total)
  • The Conservative Party leadership vote…
    nickc

They’ll dangle some irresistable temptations in front of Farage and Tice and they won’t be able to resist.

The only thing that’ll tempt Farage is leadership, and the Tories aren’t going to offer him that.

thecaptain
    Free Member

The remaining Tory “moderates” are all spineless pieces of shit that will bend over backwards to accommodate any and all leaders regardless of how extreme they are.

inkster
    Free Member

Appologies to the Lib Dems as well, I forgot about them. Perhaps because they are the box that people tick when they’d rather draw a cock and balls on the ballot paper. (I should know, I’ve voted for them twice in the past).

The Lib Dem vote is more an expression of how the electorate view the failings of their preferred party rather than enthusiasm for any particular values or policy expressed by the Lib Dems..

MSP

The Lib Dem vote is more an expression of how the electorate view the failings of their preferred party rather than enthusiasm for any particular values or policy expressed by the Lib Dems..

To be fair, that’s how labour just won.

fenderextender
    Free Member

One of the issues the Tories have had over recent years is the amount of influence the right of the party has had, so that more centrist/electable leaders have ended up compromised after having to pander to the right. Now that they’re going to be electing someone from the right of the party, will we see the centre of the party being able to have as much influence

No. Because there isn’t going to be a Brexit referendum with Remain winning between now and then.

The Tory tack to the populist right was a direct reaction to what the referendum showed them – a large proportion of the electorate harbour unspoken prejudices and are willing to be lied to in order not to have examine their own issues.

binners

The Lib Dem vote is more an expression of how the electorate view the failings of their preferred party rather than enthusiasm for any particular values or policy expressed by the Lib Dems

Don’t underestimate the amount of people who when asked ‘what do you want to see in a political leader?’ answer ‘a paunchy, middle-aged bloke in a wetsuit on a big water slide’

inkster
    Free Member

“To be fair, that’s how labour just won.”

Exactly, and in large part owing to disaffected Conservative voters ticking the Lib Dem box rather than drawing a cock and balls on the ballot paper!

Don’t underestimate the amount of people who when asked ‘what do you want to see in a political leader?’ answer ‘a paunchy, middle-aged bloke in a wetsuit on a big water slide’”

That’s good.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Saw pundit on twitter post hat if 25 moderate Tory MP defect to LibDems and then Ed Davy would be leader of opposition, snag is finding 25 moderate Tory mps

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m not sure there are many moderates left in the tory party after Johnson’s purges. The assumption that centrists will leave the party split and marginalised is probably overegged.

That sort of depends what sort of candidates they find at the next election.  The exodus and collapse last time round means that in 5 years time there going to be a lot of new Tory MP’s. Unless the right wing can survive at the top of the party until 2029 and be organized enough to control MP selection, there may well be enough moderate MP’s with their no confidence letters for the day after the election to install someone more palatable to the center.

fenderextender
    Free Member

“Don’t underestimate the amount of people who when asked ‘what do you want to see in a political leader?’ answer ‘a paunchy, middle-aged bloke in a wetsuit on a big water slide’”

That’s good.

It isn’t. It reflects just how many folk don’t feel they have a political home as the declining UK thrashes around looking for snake oil cures or someone else to blame.

nickc

The remaining Tory “moderates” are all spineless pieces of shit that will bend over backwards to accommodate any and all leaders regardless of how extreme they are.

Well the One Nation Group have just announced that they have in fact located their spine and are refusing to back either of the candidates, Their press release says:

“The Tory Reform Group (TRG) will not be endorsing a candidate in this year’s Conservative leadership contest.

As the home of One Nation Conservatism since 1975, the TRG is committed to being radically moderate, values-driven, and focused on the future. Throughout the contest, we have sought to engage extensively with all the leadership campaigns in order to understand the views and approaches of the candidates. Unfortunately, we have been consistently disappointed by the lack of engagement from the two candidates chosen by MPs.

TRG members were consulted throughout the process, and the results clearly show that neither candidate has secured widespread support from the majority of our membership. Both have used rhetoric and focused on issues which are far and away from the party at its best, let alone the One Nation values we cherish and uphold. Therefore, the board of the TRG has unanimously concluded that we are unable to endorse either candidate.”

martinhutch

All these ‘moderates’ all happily voted for the Rwanda scheme and various other hardline policies. All of this is as much on them as it is on the kemis and Jenricks. Let them go down with the ship rather than drift into the LibDems and spread their poison over there

binners

The TRG sound like a political force to be reckoned with. I wonder who he is?

Poopscoop

binners
    The TRG sound like a political force to be reckoned with. I wonder who he is?

Got me thinking, what happened to the Five Families? I’m guessing that after the cull they can now all fit in a Bond Bug.

bigrich

I liked it when he fell off the paddleboard.

fenderextender
    Free Member

I’ve just read something fantastic that I didn’t already know…

Apparently the tactical mastermind behind Jimmy Dimly’s leadership campaign was none other than well-known tactical genius Grant Shapps.

That’s utterly hilarious. How long before Shapps has it on his CV as an example of his political experience and nous?

Meanwhile I am amused by the thought of Dimly raging through the corridors asking a sequence of people where that damned Shapps idiot is. The line in return is suspiciously uniform, but Dimly can’t quite put his finger on it.

“You, Green isn’t it? Where the hell is Shapps?”

“No idea, sir”.

“You, Fox isn’t it? Where the hell is Shapps?”

“No idea, sir”.

“You, Stockheath isn’t it……”

What a wunch of bankers.

grahamt1980

Newsagents podcast has been amusing the past 2 days.  Their sources seem to show it was a massive screwup with individual mp’s thinking they were being clever

binners

We’ve elected Robert Jenrick by mistake!

A00267AC-89CC-41C3-8287-CD798CDC2AD0

fenderextender
    Free Member

From the Newsagents Podcast – quoting a former Tory grandee on Cleverly:

“I know James is as thick as shit, but I think he’d make a good leader of the Conservative Party”.

Sums it up pretty well perfectly for me.

gobuchul
    Free Member

It appears the “TRG” has 7 MP’s.

winston
    Free Member

“The TRG sound like a political force to be reckoned with. I wonder who he is?”

kilo

The TRG are very much an old school tory thang,  and used to be quite large, no doubt they’ve withered as the conservatives lurched towards a brexit / gammony/ racist fan base  – there’s no place for “moderates” now.

binners

Which is why all the moderate voters all headed off to swoon over Ed in his wetsuit.

Can you see Robert Jenrick or Kemi Badanoch doing a bungee jump? No, me neither. But unless they’re prepared to jump off a big crane in a supermarket car park in Sussex with a big elastic band on their ankles, that vote has gone for ever

B361E92E-EE1D-454F-A21B-BC0DA0A59418

crazy-legs

Latest news item on the subject.  ;-)

nickc

Just reading Badenoch’s wiki page (as I don’t really know much about her) and In the section marked “Early career” It says that she started out as a software engineer in 2003 and by 2006 was an Associate Director of Wealth Management at Coutts bank. That’s quite some career path…What’s the going rate for a software engineer £35-40K? I can’t imagine that the role at Coutts was anything less than 6 figures.

I guess being a Tory candidate opens up some doors, huh?

MSP

isn’t it the ones who ran away instead of at least trying to put the brakes on extremism the real cowards?

hatter

isn’t it the ones who ran away instead of at least trying to put the brakes on extremism the real cowards?

TBF I think they less ‘ran away’ than were quite ruthlessly and deliberately purged from the party by B0-Jo and Cummings in 2019.

The Tory moderates with spines, the Soubrys, Grieves and Gaukes of this world were largely absent by 2020.

Which is why all the moderate voters all headed off to swoon over Ed in his wetsuit.

Whilst it’s an easy pisstake, the Lib Dem approach was to combine Ed’s mildy daft adventures with a fairly steady of Drumbeat of policy announcements, interviews and panels, much of this lead by deputy leader Daisy Cooper, who was a constant presence in the media rounds during the campaign.

It worked.

gobuchul
    Free Member
    scuttler

JRM will restore respect. Full Victorian school master stylee.

kormoran
    Free Member

They missed off the “or else” from the bottom of that jenrick ad

They wanted baked bean guy but he was busy

nerd
    Free Member

What’s the going rate for a software engineer £35-40K?

Double that!

I work as a software engineer in the public sector and even I get paid more than that!

binners

Obviously neither Badanoch nor Honest Bob are exactly averse to stoking up culture war nonsense, in fact at times it’s difficult to see if they do anything but, but she’s now taking it to the next level.

As anyone familiar with SEND provision in this country will tell you, this latest tirade shows either utter detachment from reality or an unbelievable level of cynicism to attempt to weaponise the subject for her own ends in her endless culture war

Either way – and it’s actually probably both, isn’t it? – she should be absolutely nowhere near the leadership of a political party. She’s a genuinely nasty piece of work

What kind of person would drag autistic children into the culture wars? The Kemi Badenoch kind

chestrockwell

There really is only one word for her and it begins with c.

kormoran
    Free Member

There really is only one word for her and it begins with c.

Small c conservative?

intheborders
    Free Member

I knew that the candidates were taking donations, but I hadn’t realised they needed to pony up £50k’s worth just to be a candidate.

And,

In 2022 Liz Truss was given more than £500,000 for her leadership campaign, with about half coming from donors linked to hedge fund bosses and other City financiers…

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jul/26/conservative-leadership-race-spending-cap-raised-to-400000

gobuchul
    Free Member

hedge fund bosses and other City financiers…

Aren’t they woke and lefty?

jamj1974

JRM will restore respect. Full Victorian school master stylee.

I deeply hope that is an ironic post.

His pronouncements on abortion and “failing to see the moral argument” for paid annual leave – means that on his demise, I will celebrate.

binners

I don’t think the anyone in the present Tory party understands the concept of irony

MoreCashThanDash

His pronouncements on abortion and “failing to see the moral argument” for paid annual leave – means that on his demise, I will celebrate.

Given that his dad wrote “The Sovereign Individual” that has helped fuel all kinds of right wing bellendery, it’s no surprise.

Coyote
    Free Member

I will join you.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 318 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.