Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • The Chopper is back, and it’s never been so cool
  • racefaceec90

still not as cool as the original though 8)

zippykona

That is gash. Should make the old one s worth more.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Get one of these nowadays. Get bullied. Sell bike to man 3 times your age.

woody2000

That’s a bloody heresy 😯

khani
    Free Member

I had one when I was a kid, it looked cool but it was a deathtrap and shit, truly shit!!
    [shudders at the memory]

bol

Solely responsible for putting a generation of British kids off cycling. Are the car lobby behind its return?

the-muffin-man

I had one when I was a kid, it looked cool but it was a deathtrap and shit, truly shit!!

Are you talking about the original – if so go and wash your mouth out!

Original Choppers where the most awesome bike made at the time – how many other bikes could carry 4 kids in complete safety*!?

(*the safe bit may not be true!)

JoB
    Free Member

gears that work, brakes that work, inability to carry a mate down the Rec., bell – not a Chopper

brakes
    Free Member

have to agree – choppers were AWFUL bikes back then and even awfuller now.

rene59
    Free Member

The 1970s British classic has been brought back by popular demand from nostalgic parents, say Halfords.

There are going to be a few disappointed kids come birthday/Christmas time I think!

Cougar

They were shit back in the day and I can but assume they’ll still be shit now. Hateful things.

Page me when they resurrect the Grifter.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

They are superb bikes if you want to learn how to manual, however less than 1% of that manualling ability will turn out to be transferable to any other bike.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Whats the springs for on the back rest? I see how they worked on the original, but not on the new one…

samuri
    Free Member

coolness

Pigface
    Free Member

I coveted a Chopper so much when I was 10, got bought a Moulton Mini, on the way back from the shop a bunch of kids started taking the piss so I answered them back and got punched in the face 😆 wouldnt of happened if I was on a Chopper.

I always thought they were quite big but see one now and they are tiny.

fasthaggis

Tru dat

Those new models should be sold with some rose tinted eyewear 😉

alanf
    Free Member

I thought these ‘new’ choppers had been around for a few years now?
    If you think the Chopper was awful, I raise you the Commando!

Pigface
    Free Member

Chopper Sprint 😯 😯 😯

fasthaggis

wouldnt of happened if I was on a Chopper.

Yes it would.

At least you could have taken some pleasure ,watching one of them try to steal it and become another ‘bollix meets gear change’ victim 🙂

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Hey! I had a comamando – they were better than the chopper at least dynamically they actually worked as a bike.

nemesis
    Free Member

Crap bikes. Don’t get me wrong, full of nostalgia for me as much as most but a crap design bikes and how many men are childless now because of the gear lever? 🙂 (will no one think of the children)?

Besides, unless it has the backie seat, it’s not a chopper.

taxi25
    Free Member

I had a blue mk1a bit wheelie prone, and it had the round gear shift knob which you could unscrew to leave a nasty spike just where you didn’t want one 😯 As a proper bike it was rubbish, but for a kid to just ride around on being a kid it was great, loved mine.

D0NK

Chopper Sprint

bleurgh!

DezB
    Free Member

What function do the springs on the fake back rest serve?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

become another ‘bollix meets gear change’ victim

Quite – no Ballcatcher gear lever = not Chopper

khani
    Free Member

Ah the back rest, I remember my mate pushing me along using the back rest, the front wheel got stuck in a hole, the bike stopped dead and he smashed four of his front teeth out…

I soooo wanted a Grifter..

40mpg

I still have the scar from my chopper. 1cm over and it would have been a cockendictomy.

Years later my parents told me they were ‘quizzed’ by social services after taking me to A&E 😯

CountZero

Full coverage black mudguards with great thick stays = Fail! 😛

freeagent
    Free Member

I soooo wanted a Grifter..

I had a Grifter – it was silver with blue tyres.
    It weighed about as much as the forth road bridge, but was dead cool.

It was replaced by a Silverfox BMX..

cloudnine
    Free Member

Did that guy make it up mount vontoux (spelling?) on one for charity?

Cougar

I had a Grifter – it was silver with blue tyres.

That was a Super Grifter.

You bastard.

(-:

Cougar

Thus,

Proper bike.

andytherocketeer

Should be some spare depleted uranium from decommissioning of the nuclear deterrent? That’ll help with Grifter authenticity.

Needs the foam padded handlebar too, but not padded on the bit your knees smash against when you find the Sturmey Archer slip gear when hacking it round the park.

New Chopper has had far too much HSE risk assessment input.

TiRed

My right leg is one of the reasons for the change in saddle design, The caps on the bolts would come loose and fall off. In a “race” with my friend I fell off and the protruding bolt end tore out the tendons in my calf. Still have superb inverted V scar.

The original was far cooler.

batfink
    Free Member

I was too young for a chopper…. Had it’s younger brother: the mighty BUDGIE.

It was awesome. Although having only a front brake was a bit of a hazard.

alanf
    Free Member

I had a commando too – this also weight the equivalent of said road bridge, but was nowhere near as cool as a chopper.
    I never got asked by anyone for a go on my commando, whereas i couldn’t wait for a ride on a chopper/grifter/bomber/bmx, anything really.
    My striker before the commando was cool though – mini grifter as I recall.
    Did all kids bikes back then weight as much as cars?

the-muffin-man

I had a Chipper before a Chopper…

…and those who say Choppers were shite – you obviously weren’t there man, YOU WEREN’T THERE!

colournoise

I had the other baby Chopper, the Chipper.

My dad used the paintshop at his work to strip it, respray it metallic sky blue and add flame graphics – cheesy, but it was the dogs at the time.

Always still wanted to get a ride on my mate’s Grifter though.

freddyg
    Free Member

I really, really, really wanted a chopper. Came downstairs on Christmas morning and was presented with a Chipper instead. It was Orange.

My cousin (a “large boned” lass) wrecked it. I’d only had it a month 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘The Chopper is back, and it’s never been so cool’ is closed to new replies.