Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • The big drop at antur.
  • wrecker
    Free Member

It un-nerves me. Is it easier than it looks?
    It all seems to be making sure you clean the gappy bit in the middle.
    Any shares? Stories of trail godliness or mere mortals hitting and wondering why all the worry?
    It’s within my skills, it’s the mental bit I can’t seem to get over (MTFU etc)

nickc

I’m going in a fortnight..I’ll goad a mate into doing it, and let you know.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve been to Antur about 7 or 8 times and still yet to see anyone do it. It looks do-able but I still want to see someone do it before I commit. Last time we went it looked as though it had changed a bit.

Rorschach
    Free Member

There’s not much of a run out and last time I was there,there was hardly any transition to land into (I may have mashed my nuts a little).
    No worse than the one on McMoab.

legend
    Free Member

No worse than the one on McMoab.

Taking the piss I assume?

chakaping
    Free Member

My pal hit it a few times and told us it was like landing on a “gentle grassy slope”.

Just do it, what’s the worst that can happen?
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty6883mhVc4[/video]

(I think all the rest of us bottled it BTW)

Rorschach
    Free Member

Moi?It was 10 years ago and I had a lot less (none) suspension but I pooped my self doing the McMoab one.

legend
    Free Member

Probably shouldn’t laugh at that vid, but lolz anyway.

You’ll notice it isnt just a simple roll-in like the last wee bit of McMoab

wrecker
    Free Member

That vid isn’t really helping 🙂

scaled
    Free Member

Watching it from this angle put me off tbh

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVy9_nafXgk[/video]

geoffj

Piece of piss 😯

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qAXvtogGyY[/video]

northerntom
    Free Member

is this the one nearer the bottom, where you have to go slightly uphill, and the drop is on your right?

wrecker
    Free Member

Yep that’s the one Tom.

Northwind

Don’t mind admitting that I shat it. It should be within my reach but every time I rode up to it I found I was setting up to roll down it slow, not to drop it, my instincts were all wrong. I’m really bad with heights so I didn’t even like standing at the top tbh 😆

I can post a vid of danny hart doing the chicken run, if you like. We were all standing around waiting to see how it was done 😆

Littleman
    Free Member

The first time I did it I was on my trail bike (Santa Cruz Heckler with 160mm forks), and as long as you’ve got decent roll in speed it’s fine. It’s all about confidence. For some reason I just had this thing in my head that I had to do it, and I didn’t have a DH bike at the time so just went for it anyway.

Now I have a DH bike I do it most runs and it’s genuinely not a lot different than on the Heckler, just a lot softer on the landing so I can go into it faster.

Once you’ve got over the head thing, doing it without stopping as part of a run is better, and doing it makes the doubles afterwards a lot easier to clear as you have lots of speed from the drop.

nickc

I do like the nervous laughter that accompanies most of those vids

BoardinBob

Heading down this weekend for the first time.

Is that drop worse than the offbeat wall at fort william? Looks similar. Steep run in, small drop half way down into big g out landing, or is the video doing the usual trick of making everything look flat.

northerntom
    Free Member

Ah ok, yes I’ve done it, did it a few years back when I first went there. It’s more than likely a bit smoother these days as it’s been hit a lot more, must have been late 2012 when I did it, so not that far after the place opened.

Advice (from what I remember) don’t hit it too fast, but in the grand scheme of things, it’s not big, just more awkward. Run out isn’t fantastic, so would hit it slow, and I would aim more to roll down with your back wheel than full on huck it (bearing in mind, you won’t actually roll your back wheel, it will inevitably get some air). I would look to land slightly back wheel heavy, as it’s a fairly flat landing.

It’s not too bad though, I am by no means a full on DH beast, and actually did it on a trail bike. Just try it.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Doesn’t look 15′ from any of those vids but as above, camera probably makes it look easier than it is.

scruff
    Free Member

I remember seeing a poor fellow on the first double with a snapped arm after hitting the drop (and presumably getting enough speed to make the doubles easier)

wrecker
    Free Member

Roll in view;

Actual profile;

legend
    Free Member

Totally different to Ft.Bill. At Ft.Bill you just roll in and hold on, it’s a nothing section really (unless you’re Greg Minnaar)

BoardinBob

Actual profile

aye, that’s steep!

Northwind

BoardinBob – Member

Is that drop worse than the offbeat wall at fort william? Looks similar.

Pretty different tbh- the wall’s quite well sighted, wide, and and straight in, and really pretty simple apart from size, you can really just trundle into it. (first time I rode it, on the soul, I didn’t really want to but I failed to stop after I attempted to bottle it- and it turned out, all I had to do was clench and roll :mrgreen: It’s basically just a slanty fireroad) I don’t think any of that would work at antur, you never know though

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Sorry, those videos don’t work, possibly because I daren’t press the play button.

chakaping
    Free Member

Which bit at Fort Bill is being discussed? Got a pic?

BoardinBob

Which bit at Fort Bill is being discussed

This bit

fathomer

I’m no riding God, far from it but I rode the bit on McMoab with a quick look and off we go. That drop, **** that!!!

chakaping
    Free Member

Righto cheers bob.

Yep, different kettle of fish entirely.

Rode that bit on sight but to be honest I dunno if I’ll ever do the Antur drop.

richmtb

aye **** that!

I’ve rode the wall at fort bill (It really is rollable by a brake dragging amateur) its just fairly steep.

That drop at Antur looks much steeper and definitely not rollable by a brake dragging amateur!

julians
    Free Member

I had no issues with that bit at fort william, but theres no way I’m going over that drop at antur.

wrecker
    Free Member

definitely not rollable by a brake dragging amateur!

I’m pretty certain it’s not rollable full stop
    The thing that gets me is that it’s quite blind from the lip, but you need to launch pretty soon after; very little time to set up.
    You seem to need to be coiled ready as soon as you go over. Once the nose drops into that gully, you’re ****ed.

iainc

makes me feel sick just watching those clips … 😯

No way would I even attempt that stuff !

BoardinBob

You’re really not selling it to me…

rockhopper70

All very useful this, hints and tips on techique to bear in mind when I go there in September, now seeing the side shot photo, I won’t be bothering even looking.

I know my level…

wrecker
    Free Member

Well if I haven’t got a new bouncy bike by then, I won’t even look at it!
    I’ll be buggered if I’m even going to contemplate it on a HT.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Ive been twice and and neither time anyone in our group had the balls to do it. It’s bloody steep too.

superfli
    Free Member

I was gutted I didnt ride it when we went there a few weeks back! I’m usually pretty good at throwing my thoughts out the window and just hitting things, but my mate who is a much better rider than me stopped and didnt do it. I looked at the transition and TBH it looked almost flat! Possibly painful on a 160mm?
    It was one of our first runs down and I didnt want to ruin my weekends riding 🙂 There isnt much rolling down it, its pretty much in the air or thereabouts with both wheels.

excuses, excuses…

russyh
    Free Member

I don’t mind admitting I bottled it!

zippykona

It looks a lot like the hill that went down to the car park at my old garage.
    I used to look at it and wonder if it was doable.
    We inherited a stoner, shit for brains apprentice who would casually ride it on his BSO .
    My status as the workshop hero mountain biker was shattered the day he arrived.
    😥

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘The big drop at antur.’ is closed to new replies.