Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • The best goth or "goth" vocalist. Clean please!
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

May I present Amy Lee?

tazzymtb

wasn't she from evanesence? In which case NOT GOTH!!

if it's not 1980's It doesn't count. Putting a bit of pointy eyeliner on bloody awful commercial rock does not make it goth. 😀

alexathome
    Free Member

No, but can I get a 'Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaya'

sc-xc

STW's favourite goth 😉

Dudie
    Free Member

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Visigoth or Ostrogoth???

Coyote
    Free Member

MrSparkle

The one and only Pete Murphy – Bauhaus.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ah but Bauhaus hated the label of 'goth' did they not? So on that note were they Goths? (I don't recall them invading Thuringia anyway 🙂 )

ton

is robert smith a goth????

Hairychested
    Free Member

goth or "goth" (inverted commas should be a give-away)

midlifecrashes

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Lisa Gerrard

Hairychested
    Free Member

ziggy
    Free Member

+1 Mr Sparkle

Gravy
    Free Member

Ex journo, Julieanne Reagan.

69er_Gav
    Free Member

Tarja Turunen – Ex Nightwish vocalist

john_drummer
    Free Member

'ow do, nice to see my fanclub still here 😉

Julianne Regan / All About Eve were never 'goth'. Just because they were friends with The Mission, they got labelled goth, but listen to their stuff & it's nearer folk than it ever was goth

And as for Siouxsie Sioux – punk punk punk

Good to see McCoy & Eldritch up there though

I always liked Elizabeth Fraser's voice, but I wouldn't call the Cocteau Twins goth either. There was a lot of good (IMHO) underground music around in the mid-late 80s, some of which jumped on the gothic look bandwagon (including The Damned!), some of which sounded right but didn't quite look the part, and then there were those that looked AND sounded right but refused to have anything to do with 'goth'. Step forward FOTN.

And Bauhaus split before the term 'goth' was ever used in anger

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

wouldn't call Tarja goth….

john_drummer
    Free Member

nor Dave. Although he does have a mighty fine voice

The Damned were a pub rock band that caught on the first wave of punk (after all, New Rose was the first punk single ever released). As their sound morphed into something more psychedelic with the release of The Black Album, their image morphed with it. A more "gothic" album cover I doubt you could find; DV always did the 'Dracula' look but none of the other members of the band did. Sensible would often be seen on stage wearing a tutu…

But I'd still call them a 'punk' band rather than 'goth'

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

i'd agree with ya – i was more talking about Dave's look from the beginning.

grahamt1980

Eldrich definately.
    I know she isn't a goth but Ofra Haza on Temple of Love is amazing
    Temple

Sonor
    Free Member

nor Dave. Although he does have a mighty fine voice

The Damned were a pub rock band that caught on the first wave of punk (after all, New Rose was the first punk single ever released). As their sound morphed into something more psychedelic with the release of The Black Album, their image morphed with it. A more "gothic" album cover I doubt you could find; DV always did the 'Dracula' look but none of the other members of the band did. Sensible would often be seen on stage wearing a tutu…

But I'd still call them a 'punk' band rather than 'goth'

I'd agree with that. Sometimes sensible appeared on stage with no trousers, we did enjoy throwing bottles at him though.

Spot the airplane:

This was a little Gothic, well the imagery was.

BoardinBob

No idea if she can sing but still…Vikki Blows

(you may want to delete your history after you google her…)

Hairychested
    Free Member

Does she?

john_drummer
    Free Member

true, Phantasmagoria had a great cover. Shame about the contents. Sanctum Sanctorum was ace, in the same vein as much of The Black Album, but the rest was, well, "pop music"

slimtubing
    Free Member

Andi Sex Gang.

john_drummer
    Free Member

aye. barking, that one. had a curry with him in Bradford in 83. Well, not literally with him, I was at the next table when he came in & sat down…
    Did the curry thing with John Peel too, same thing, same curry house

avdave2

Someone once gave me a Sisters of Mercy tape so I suppose I had a near Goth experience.

Hairychested
    Free Member

If a girl wearing black eyeliner and black clothes gives you head at a JM Jearre's performace, is he then a goth?

sc-xc

If a girl wearing black eyeliner and black clothes gives you head at a JM Jearre's performace, is he then a goth?

If he is wearing black guyeyeliner, he is definately a goth. Regardless of what gig he's at.

Hairychested
    Free Member

No, sorry for being imprecise, is JM Jearre then a goth?

emac65
    Free Member

The Damned were a pub rock band that caught on the first wave of punk (after all, New Rose was the first punk single ever released).

Hmmm,that's if you thought New Rose was a punk single,it never did it for me at the time, but then in later years I began to appreciate it a lot more.Plus if the rumours were true the whole first album of the Damned was originally recorded a lot slower & then speeded up to jump on the punk band wagon.I always thought they were far too polished to be a proppa punk outfit.They even sounded good live FFS ! 8)
    Saw them many times in their hay day & they were always VFM,even got to see Sensible's Hampton the once 😯

vdubber67
    Free Member

My mate Mike from Manuskript. Thread closed 😆

slimtubing
    Free Member

Aah the Damned, first ever proper gig I went to, Roman Jugg filling Sensibles shoes in 86, a great gig.

john_drummer
    Free Member

well I didn't think New Rose was punk but that's what it's quoted as

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Singing and goth don't easily sit in the same sentence. One of the best unintentional moments of recent history was when The Doors invited Ian Astbury to join them…..begged the question,had they ever heard any Cult/Southern Death Cult records?

john_drummer
    Free Member

yeah, I did wonder about that…

anyway. Why's there a picture of me in a vocalist thread? Have any of you nice folks ever heard me sing?

this is me in action (many years ago):

and now:

not so gothic now, eh?

Dudie
    Free Member

Aah the Damned, first ever proper gig I went to, Roman Jugg filling Sensibles shoes in 86, a great gig.

Ha ha! Me too. October '86 at Birmingham Odeon. Supported by 'Into the Blue' or sommat like that I think.

dmiller
    Free Member

On my phone and can't be arsed googling it but have a look at unsun, delain, nightwish, sirena and then within temptation on youtube. Those girls can sing! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘The best goth or "goth" vocalist. Clean please!’ is closed to new replies.