Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The beauty of Northumberland
  • SaxonRider

Just returned from a couple of weeks’ camping in the Northeast – just near Dunstanburgh Castle to be precise. Now, I always loved the NE, and used to spend quite a bit of time in Newcastle, but haven’t been back for almost ten years. That said, am I glad we returned.

Bloody hell it is beautiful up there! With a castle, or some Saxon church around every bend, along with a spectacular seascape and beautiful farms, it is like the Cotswalds of the North.

Congratulations to anyone on here that is fortunate enough to call it home!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Not my home but well visited as I’m from Durham. Most unspoilt county in the UK (IMO). Beautiful coastline & fantastic countryside.
    Weird accent though, especially round Rrrrothburrry & Aaalwinton!

Plus, The Hope & Anchor in Alnmouth do the best chips ever. (or should I say ‘The Hurp & Anchor’)

oldnpastit

Could not agree more.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I miss it. But not the Winter with the wind coming from the East. Will always be “home” though.

Harry_the_Spider

Thought this thread would be about Donna Air. 🙁

iainc

the walk from Dunstanburgh along the beach and a pint at the Ship Inn is a favourite annual jaunt. We try and get a week in the area most years, superb place 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I call it home, it’s only 10,746 miles away though.

teethgrinder

It’s okay…

honeybadgerx

I wish folk would stop advertising the fact, it might end up getting busy at some point…

thegreatape
    Free Member

My late grandparents lived in Humshaugh near Hexham. I loved it round there, sadly never really have cause to go there anymore. Keep thinking I’d like to do the HW walk just to go through that countryside again.

paul4stones

I wish folk would stop advertising the fact, it might end up getting busy at some point…

Mods (drac) delete this thread will you please.

😉

lemonysam
    Free Member

Ta!

Keep thinking I’d like to do the HW walk just to go through that countryside again.

Or get on your bike: http://www.cyclepad.org.uk/listing/The-Sandstone-Way

thegreatape
    Free Member

^ ooh yes please

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

shhhh, its supposed to be a secret, one of the things that keeps it beautiful is the fact no bugger goes there.

I used to live in Allendale and really miss the North Pennines, some harsh cald winters but just bootiful, bootiful.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Should the Scotts go their seperate ways I’d expect it to get a bit busier as the Castles and watch towers will need rebuilding 🙂

slowoldman

Should the Scotts go their seperate ways I’d expect it to get a bit busier as the Castles and watch towers will need rebuilding

What for? Surely they’ll want to stay “up there”?

Anyway, yes, it’s a lovely neck of the woods, but Shh.

gazc
    Free Member

we are about 400m away from having bragging rights to living in northumberland, but northwestern county durham/north pennines is fantastic too! 🙂

uphillcursing
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

I call it home, it’s only 10,746 miles away though.

10504.72 for me.

tartanscarf

I love Northumberland, it’s the one area we keep returning to. Think we were at the same site as you Saxonrider. It’s relatively unspoilt and had lots of variety – hills, sea, history, wee towns etc. magic 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘The beauty of Northumberland’ is closed to new replies.