The ASA say cyclists must ride in the gutter, must wear helmets

Home Forum Bike Forum The ASA say cyclists must ride in the gutter, must wear helmets

Viewing 16 posts - 181 through 196 (of 196 total)
  • The ASA say cyclists must ride in the gutter, must wear helmets
  • Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

In addition to the weird clothes that cyclists wear, what about the black gimp outfit that Jonathan Edwards was wearing in the Pippa Middleton Telegraph cycling article a month ago, i see the point of dressing like he does if you are heading out for a full on winter ride into driving rain/wind etc but to show the image of himself in a fully enclosed Lycra outfit makes me want to throw-up never mind the image burned on a non-cyclist’s retina whilst reading the article.

Surely it would have been more beneficial for the cause to show him wearing relatively normal clothing as….wait for it….shock…horror….. you can cycle perfectly well in normal clothes with a bit of thought put into it regarding the outside conditions etc.

Image in question ^ , Perhaps i’ve just read too much Grant Peterson

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

Got a reply from the ASA saying thank you for your comment we are now reviewing our decision on cyclist positioning. SO I sent a reply thanking them but atelling them to sort out the ASA attempt at helmet compulsion bobbins too.

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

Image in question

it is pitiful, the trouble is they are actually dressed very similar, only differences are she has 3/4ers on while johnnie has full length and she has lifted her skull cap up a bit while his is covering his ears. I guess you could argue the fabrics he is using don’t offer much contrast (so it looks like a god awful onesie) but I’m a badly dressed IT geek so I have no authority in these matters.

The biggest problem is sex and our societal values.
    Lady in lycra = mmm
    man in lycra = gimp

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Nah, it’s not a “societal” thing – it’s just a “person who knows how to dress them self stylishly versus Jonathan Edwards” thing 😀

Note how Pippa’s has matched white helmet to white shoes to white bike to white highlights on jacket. Accessorising that is.

While he looks like he is wearing a body stocking.

he has lifted her skull cap up a bit while his is covering his ears

Hard to tell but I think his actually comes down and under his chin! And did he really need the extragimp overshoes – doesn’t look like a particularly wet/cold day.

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

Accessorising

stop trying to make out you know fashion – we’ve all seen you in bibshortsknickers (iirc)

it’s just a “person who knows how to dress them self stylishly versus Jonathan Edwards”

fairplay

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

stop trying to make out you know fashion – we’ve all seen you in bibshortsknickers (iirc)

I’m glad it was so memorable for you 😉

Actually I was mostly empathising with Mr Edwards as he’s about as stylish as I look on the bike.

(But then I’m commuting to work in the rain not doing a photoshoot for a national newspaper with a well-known hottie)

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

I’m glad it was so memorable for you

[url=http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/what-has-been-seen-cannot-be-unseen]all the mindbleach in the world would not shift it[/url]

toys19

I just got a reply from the ASA saying they have suspended their judgement:
    Dear “toys19”

Thank you for your email.

We have taken the decision to withdraw the ruling against Cycling Scotland pending the outcome of an Independent Review. We have published the following statement on our website:

“The ASA has withdrawn its formal ruling against a Cycling Scotland ad pending the outcome of an Independent Review. That followed a request from Cycling Scotland, in which it argued that the ASA’s criticism of the positioning of the cyclist was incorrect. The decision to withdraw was made by the ASA Chief Executive in light of a potential flaw in our ruling. Once the Independent Review process is complete we will publish our decision on our website.”

Kind regards

Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson
    Press Officer
    Direct line 020 7492 2122

Advertising Standards Authority
    Mid City Place, 71 High Holborn
    London WC1V 6QT
    Telephone 020 7492 2222
    http://www.asa.org.uk

Follow us on twitter: @ASA_UK

Legal, decent, honest and truthful

toys19

Considering the size of the initial response to this, I am surprised that no body has noticed that the ruling has been suspended? I’m lonely here..

bencooper

Everyone else noticed a couple of pages ago 😉

toys19

:oops:Oh. I looked and couldnt find it..
    I was working.

nbt

have they published the updated ruling yet?

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Indeed, it would be good to hear what has happened.

I want to echo the views above about constant expectation that we should be lumi bibbed up and Lycra clad. I had a discussion on cycle week when I turned up for a lunchtime offce ride sans luminous gear and was ‘issued’ a bib….and then two other from the office arrived, both ladies wearing dresses, and discussing the lovely spokey dokey’s and stickers on one of the bikes. When they were given bibs they did not argue – they put them in the baskets on the front of their bikes….! I thought the organiser was going to have a heart attack…

Premier Icon NewRetroTom
    Subscriber

Good to see that common sense has prevailed!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-27999347

edlong

The full adjudication still refers to the “parking lane” I see. Good that someone has seen sense nonetheless.

pondo

Hurrah! 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 181 through 196 (of 196 total)

The topic ‘The ASA say cyclists must ride in the gutter, must wear helmets’ is closed to new replies.