Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The 10:20 LighterLater campaign
  • MadBillMcMad

This would be great if it happens.

It is a campaign to move the clocks to GMT+1 (winter) & GMT+2 (summer),
    giving us an extra hours biking at night and from a green point using alot less lighting at home (& on the bike for that matter).

Sign the petition on 1010's website.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

What are the negatives? I'm all for it I think.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dark in the morning, proper dark, wont be light untill 10am kinda dark.

Which means school kids will die walking to school.

Wont someone please think of the children!

In reality they'll all be driven in by 4×4 anyway these days.

Also any outdoors job would become incredibly antisocial, imagine working on a farm or in tourism and not being able to go to work untill 10am and not finishing till 8pm.

richmtb

What are the negatives? I'm all for it I think.

Scotland becomes the land of the midnight sun in summer and the sun doesn't come up to until after 9.00am in winter, meaning school children have to go to school in the dark or if your commuting by bike you need lights in the morning instead of at night

Onzadog
    Free Member

but kids go direct to school in the mornings. It's coming home when they amble and mess about.

ourmaninthenorth

Yes, the dark mornings in the winter would be an issue.

Someone, somewhere, must have done some decent research on when the most accidents are, which is presumably the argument (it always has been, to my knowledge).

I wouldn't want to live in northern Scotland with this change. But I bet it's mainly driven by people who love in London….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bloody stupid idea. What's wrong with it as it is now? It's them Europeans I tell ya! They want us on Europe time!

Coyote
    Free Member

Leave it as it is.

nbt

why not just get up earlier? that way it'll be later when it goes dark 😛

joemarshall
    Free Member

They'd have to move school forward, or teenagers would start getting stupider. There's evidence that teenagers learn much better if they get up later (a few schools start teenagers later than younger kids already).

Joe

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well given that it doesn't get dark until about 11-00pm at the moment, I don't really fancy having it light until midnight. Winter would also be a nightmare as I'd not actually get any sun for several months during the week. I shall mostly not be signing such a petition.

headfirst
    Free Member

I'm all for it. Letter signed and sent.

shedfull
    Free Member

But the country with Greenwich in it has to use Greenwich Mean Time for at least a bit of the year or all the clocks in the world will implode!

miketually
    Free Member

But the country with Greenwich in it has to use Greenwich Mean Time for at least a bit of the year or all the clocks in the world will implode!

We just need to make the time which we are on GMT and they'll all have to knock one off their current time zone. Simple.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I also can't see it going down too well with Tory supporters / UKIP / BNP, those types of people, what with it being a 'put the UK on European time' proposal.

Joe

phil.w
    Free Member

I don't really fancy having it light until midnight

why, do you sleep outside?

I'd not actually get any sun for several months during the week

really? i think you would, it would just be later in the day. which is the whole point. most people get up and go straight to work so do not require daylight in the morning.

gonefishin
    Free Member

why, do you sleep outside?

No but then I don't have blackout blinds on all my windows either.

i think you would, it would just be later in the day.

Sunrise would be after getting to work and sunset would still be before leaving. I'm not sure if people realise just how different the sunrise and sunset times are in the north of the country.

Kuco

I'm not voting **** if i'm starting work at 10:00am and a lot of people would moan at us revving chainsaws/chippers/360's at 8:00pm

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

Where I live (Kendal) the Sunrise/Sunset times are currently;

Jan 21st Sunrise @ 08:30 Sunset @ 15:45
    June 21st Sunrise @ 04:36 Sunset @ 21:49

Changing the clocks would mean;

Jan 21st Sunrise @ 09:30 Sunset @ 16:45
    June 21st Sunrise @ 05:36 Sunset @ 22:49

The additional sunlight that late in the evening in summer is a complete waste of time especially when I am sending my kids to school in the dark in winter as a result.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The additional sunlight that late in the evening in summer is a complete waste of time especially when I am sending my kids to school in the dark in winter as a result.

the point is normaly that most (not everyone before someone chirps in) people have the heating on for an hour or so before they wwake up in the morning, then it comes on when they get home and stays on untill bedtime ish. If the heating was effectively coming on in what is mid afternoon now its got less work to do.

Your kids are already going to school in the dark (sunrise at 8:30, im presuming school starts arround then?) but they'd get an hours daylight after school to walk home in.

And there would be more time for physical excercise as everyone would have another few months of the year (ok, its wasted in summer as it makes sunset really late, but spring autumn?) where its light outside after work. So less depression, and obesity (hopefully).

I'm (almost) all for it.

soobalias
    Free Member

how retarded.

shedfull
    Free Member

Here's what I don't understand: We live in the country with Greenwich in it. We use Greenwich Mean Time in Winter but change it by an hour in Summer. I could understand it if we were on GMT in the Summer but went back an hour in the Winter so the kiddies could go to school in daylight, but we don't. So, why don't we just stay on GMT all year?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘The 10:20 LighterLater campaign’ is closed to new replies.