Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • That's it, six years at my current employer during to an end
  • oldnpastit

I’ve been here six years and done some pretty amazing stuff, working with some amazing people, basically making mobile phone chips.

But the powers-that-be decided we weren’t making enough money, and now it looks like it’s only a matter of time before we all get closed down.

Today was the first day where you could no longer go on pretending it might just go away.

Time to go out for a bike ride.

EDIT: they probably decided we weren’t worth keeping open if the staff can’t even post in the right forum….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t worry too much, we had redundancies announced in February, still not sorted yet, I was worried at first but now just feel apathetic about it. It’s just a job.

I reckon cotic rockets will be out before our management get it all done and dusted!.

jimmy

6 years is nowt.

richc
    Free Member

Where are you based and what’s your skillset? As I might/do know somewhere thats hiring people with mobile experience

oldnpastit

Based in Cambridge. Software, embedded/Android.

richc
    Free Member

Will send you an email later/tomorrow (if you are looking for work at the moment?)

As you are in the right field and location.

oldnpastit

I’m looking for work, although there’s another ~40 days of consultation to go. So definitely interested, thanks!

sargey

Our company called the receivers in three weeks ago after struggling along for a while.I have been kept on till this friday,but then after 23 years thats it. 😥

On the plus side more riding time 😆

deadkenny
    Free Member

Go contracting. More flexibility and more riding time. May be more time on the bench, but then you may get paid more when not to cover that. Less stability though, but then I was finding permanent jobs were not stable anyway. One week you’re treated as loyal subject, next you’re just a cost to cut from the budget.

Anyway, maximise your pay out and don’t whatever you do accept any kind of voluntary redundancy. Make sure they kick you out and pay you full whack for it.

Then use the money to buy a new bike 😀

nick1962
    Free Member

Anyway, maximise your pay out and don’t whatever you do accept any kind of voluntary redundancy

In my experience voluntary terms can often be better than compulsory and if the firm goes under then you only get a pittance from the taxpayer.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

22 years in a “state institution”, a re-org two years ago means the can-do group I used to work for has been broken up across the “wont do” depots. I do half the work in double the time and nobody bats an eye, in fact some colleagues get the hump with how much I do, paperwork, pointless procedures and empire building rule.

It’s doing my head in.

No flexibility, not allowed to think for yourself, I’m in danger of becoming a “good German”.

at least I have job (I think)

footflaps

Shouldn’t have any trouble finding another job in Cambridge!

CSR, ARM, Broadcom etc…

deadkenny
    Free Member

nick1962 – Member

In my experience voluntary terms can often be better than compulsory and if the firm goes under then you only get a pittance from the taxpayer.

Some terms maybe, but actual pay out when I went though it (on of a couple of times), it was made clear that by accepting voluntary I void a lot of my entitlement and would only get statutory pay out.

Though different matter yes if the company goes under as there’s no money anyway.

poolman
    Free Member

good luck everyone…my last employer shut down 11 years ago so I set my own business up, never looked back & best thing that ever happened. Without the push I would never have done it.

Being yr own boss you can pick & choose what jobs to do, work when & where you want, sadly I can’t blame anyone else if anything goes wrong though.

See it as an opportunity to do what you want to do.

bennbuoy
    Free Member

Mmmm…..looks like I will also get the chop after close to 27 years.

Org reduction and my role is going.

Only upside should be 2 years salary payout as redundancy plus couple of other bits and pieces. Enough to pay off the house with some to spare. That said another job ASAP will be top priority.

However it really does feel like I have right royally f’d up in terms of my family responsibilities, etc. My head is a bit of a mess unfortunately.

badnewz
    Free Member

I lost my (bloody awful) job three years back. Set-up my own business, first two years were tough, but not looked back since.
    As you are in Cambridge with mobile experience, I’m sure you could pick up another job in no time.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘That's it, six years at my current employer during to an end’ is closed to new replies.