Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)
  • That 50 Quid DX bike light dissed disected oh sod it. ( its not good news )
  • singlespeedstu

What battery and charger would I need for it?

AverageMark
    Free Member

If anyone wants to see one i’ll be at MM next weekend with my Trout 6er thingy. Just come over to the retrobike bit and you can have a play with one and see just how bright the barsteward is. You going to be there Trout? if you are i’ll treat you to a Pims!

AverageMark
    Free Member

sss smudge is your man, 14.8v Li-on and charger from him. I just orderd one due to my ham fisted messing up of my Ni-MH one 😳

singlespeedstu

Mark.

How much did that run out at?

AverageMark
    Free Member

Money or run time?

Money was about 70 for a bat and charger from smusge. Run time i reckon 2 – 2 1/2 hours at full pelt and 4 hours at 350 ma – about half power. The thing is due to the amount of leds in it i found out that u can run it at lvl 2 – about 100 ma ish current and it’s still perfectly useable. Theoreticly 7 ish hours of usable light of a 2600 mah battery. If you pay more – Smudge does 5200 mah bats as well for 80 -90 ish i think then you can double that. Trout should be able to give you exact details.

One thing, don’t run it in double – just high and low – i done this with it set to 350 low and 700 high and got a right bollicking from the police when i was riding on the road.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

great review troutie, lovin this bit

I did a very non techy test (of) the seal this involved sucking with the whole bezel in my mouth to create a vacuum and you can soon tell if it is sealed and it passed with flying colours no leaks there.

Shack
    Free Member

Great review, if the bike mags tested to that depth then the manufacturers would really have to get the quality right. DX should put you on commission!

Gnnr

Trout I am very impressed with your honest review, it would have been easy for you to knock the DX model and people would have listened.

If you do start offering a modification service I for one would use it as I’m sure many people can’t justify laying out too much for winter lights.

Your sets look infinity better tho and if find I use the lights a lot would upgrade to your set in a flash.

Chances are a lot of the DX models will fail and folk will be knocking at your door once more!

trout
    Free Member

SSStu yep Mark has it right there it draws 1 amp on full and needs a 14.8 volt pack minimum .
    a good deal if Smudge has any left are the 3600mah packs he does gives a good runtime of 3.5 hours on full or forever on low so with a bit of power management a whole night race is possible .

sadly I will not be there as I am at a landrover trial that weekend but thanks for the offer.

Lol mtb-idle
    Yes it does seem a little daft maybe I should get the missus to do the vacuum test 😮

GnnR
    with work being so crap ( self not employed very much carpet fitter )
    I will do anything .
    so the service is there if anyone wants it get in touch mail in profile

Shack
    thanks maybe I could become light tester to the masses

smudge
    Free Member

You should get a job in freelance MrT. If I bought one of those lights the first thing I’d do is post it to you for modding, would hate to be blasting down some singletrack and have it overheat on me.

Battery wise I’ve got a few 2.6 and 5.2 Ah Li-Ion in either 15V or 7.5V only. Oh, also a 15V 5.4AH.

AverageMark
    Free Member

1 less 2.6 li-on now smudge 😉

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

You should get a job in freelance MrT. If I bought one of those lights the first thing I’d do is post it to you for modding

I already did, Trout is a top bloke & very clever, for the money he has suggested it’s a proper bargain, why wouldn’t you? 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Shitting Jesus; I want a Troutelite 6er, for the trails in Epping. something like that will instantly dry all the mud, and my bike won’t get filthy!

That is ridiculous, mate. And to think, me and some mates first went night-riding with those Smart 10W lead-acid battery jobbies!

Pieface

I have a L&M Li-ion battery available, not sure if it’ll work with the troutlight, but if it will I can bring it along to MM if you cross my palm with silver.

duckers
    Free Member

Got to ask whats the best buy now, one of these dx lights or a 5 mode P7 torch, batteries, charger kit?

saladdodger
    Free Member

Well I have just got my “bastid” light and i am mighty chuffed

I compared it to my P7 tourch and found the light output to be very differant, the mte ssc p7 tourch is a very white light, yet the Bastid is slightly er green as reported by others. But as a light on the lawn and trees it gave a more detailed light in that the grass and my trees seemed more 3D where as the p7 light just seems in comparison to “flatten things”

I will be in touch soon Mr T for your assembly mods

Bottom line I am well chuffed

lyons
    Free Member

Hi Mr T.

That bastid light looks good, better than my Exposure race, before they went ‘turbo’. But yoour lights look quite simply amazing. I would love to buy one of them. I think that with a light of the quality it sounds liek yours are, alot of people will buy them.

I know that when i get back from holiday, in august, i would buy a light from you very happily, as i will be looking for a new one for the winter.

I think what im trying to get at, is your light looks f’ing ace compared to the ‘bastid’.

saladdodger
    Free Member

think what im trying to get at, is your light looks f’ing ace compared to the ‘bastid’.

Yes I agree but with the “bastid” on my bars and a dinotte on my bonce I will be well sorted

To think not so long ago I was realy happy with the brightest lights going with my old HID which had almost half the lux output of a p7 tourch

farm-boy

Just received my ‘bastid’ (love the moniker) P7 bike light. I was a bit nervous after the problems trout and El34 on mtbr found. However there were no bits of aluminium swarf inside the light and the screw that holds on the mount looks longer with at least 4 threads protruding as opposed to 2.

Heartened by these findings I didn’t remove the P7 star from the heat sink (it is well stuck down) nor did I pry the brass fitting with the circuit board off the back. I did blow a bit of air into the heat sink cavity to clean out any metal shavings but none came out.

I put the light back together with some thermal paste between the heat sink and the housing and some on the threads of the heat sink retaining ring.

I am going to look at the mounting screw again and probably put some loctite on it.

I am going to use the light tonight alongside my Ay-ups and will take a few photos and post them.

trout
    Free Member

Good one FB looks like the Bastid light makers in asia read the forums
    or you were just lucky

Cheers Lyons
    Got your mail I think it was you, will get you a price out tonight .
    sadly with the economy as is cheap and chearfull is more popular than reasonable and quality .

Drillski
    Free Member

great review trout, many thanks for your effort and integrity

enfht
    Free Member

Any chance of some close up pics?

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Trout don’t give up with developing new lights, I am convinced that either the light, battery or charger will only last a few months which makes the Bastid light much less apealing. I always prioritise reliability and longevity over simple low cost.

That said money in our household has never been tighter.

The 6er light looks amazing and should our sun ever burn out I will be straight onto you for a replacement.

Is their a possibility of a less powerfull but equally well made light. My logic working that it would be much easier to compete with the DX light if a similar output of light was possible with your great quality but to come in under £150 with battery and charger (not suggesting that you start selling battery’s and chargers smudger seems to have that market covered very well). I guess a lot of your costs are tied up in the housing would I be right.

Keep up the good work and I hope come September I will be placing an order for a 6er.

trout
    Free Member

Bigsurfer.
    Cheers for the good vibes and suggestions
    yes I am working on a nice little quad design also and the integrated battery triple in partenership with Smudge and Steve the cnc man .
    just waiting for the new leds to arrive before we can make any more progress.

Yes you are right the CNCd housing is a big lump of the cost followed by the electronics .and then the leds which are the very latest and bestest out there.
    cost can be trimmed in the electronics but at a loss of functionality
    and more importantly heatsensing .

this time last year the big buzz was the airbike light at £120/130 for a similar product as the Bastid , I wonder how many of those have died
    so come on folks if you got one and it died lets be knowing or even lets be having a look for an autopsy .

singletrackmind

Trout.- How does the light stack up against an MTE P7 ??? Its hard to tell on your beam shots. I like my P7 beam spread and output, but the runtimes are low. Maybe a brace DX p7 on the bars and P7 on my lid , clicking betweeen lo / med/ hi as required ??

GnR I have some carpets that need fitting, after skirting boards are replaced. You interested??????????

farm-boy

Well I used the P7 bike light last night instead of my usual intermediate beam Ay-up on the bars.

All the fittings all work fine. The battery attached neatly in the frame (my bike computer is on my stem) and everything stayed put on what was a very steep, rocky and technical trail.

The casing of the light did warm up slightly but I wouldn’t go as far as saying it was hot. I did turn it off when stationary or on long non-technical climbs. Of course this could be an indication that the heat from the LED is not being dissipated to the case but I did re-assemble the light with plenty of thermal paste (see above post).

The light is noticeably brighter than Ay-ups. It is about as bright as the narrow beamed Ay-up spot but with a much wider spread. As others have commented, there is a slight green tinge.

Here is a picture of the mounting screw that is longer than that on trout’s model.

Time will tell how long this light lasts. I intend on giving it a thorough work out over the coming months (it’s winter here) and will report back any failings.

duckers
    Free Member

I’m interested for peoples oppinions of how this ‘bastid’ compares to te DealExtreme 5 mode P7 (SKU 12060).

saladdodger
    Free Member

duckers

read my previous post 😉 about 1/3 down this page

trout
    Free Member

A bit of bad news from over on MTBR forums http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=527707
    cut and pasted from there just to keep this thread on track and honest

Well, I just came back from a shortened night ride and I’m quite disappointed.

I received my DX Bike Light a few days ago, and after it was fully charged, tested it out the first night with just a quick ride up and down the street and for less than a few minutes, while holding it in my hand without moving.

I don’t have any experience with the P7 flash lights, but coming from a “120 lumens” LED flashlight I got from Sam’s Club that I’ve been temporarily using as my bike light, I was pretty happy with the huge improvement. I also liked the beam pattern, as it was not too spotty and not too floody, and there wasn’t a dark spot. From the packaging to the exterior build quality, it feels and looks pretty nice. There are no instructions or anything inside the packaging though.

I was really excited to finally get a chance to test it out on a night ride tonight, but about 10 minutes into my ride, the light quit working. While playing around with it I was able to get it to come on once but that was it. At this point it appears dead to me. The green light comes on when the battery pack is connected, but I also noticed that a couple of times that light was not coming on, despite it still being connected.

I have a feeling we’re going to see a huge defective rate with these units. At $80, I feel like I just got duped considering this didn’t even last more than 15 mins. I really know nothing about LEDs and while I’m a DIYer for some kind of projects, I really do not feel like brushing up on my weak electronics knowledge and learning more than I want JUST to make this light work.

I purchased this knowing that it probably wouldn’t last me very long but it would last long enough where I felt I got my $80 worth. I didn’t expect it to die 10 mins into my ride. Thank god I was riding in the city and not going fast on a dark, downhill ride.

So my advice is: If you don’t know how to fix this when it goes out, DO NOT waste your $80.

gravitydroppersrock
    Free Member

just concluded that myself when i put my exposure race maxx up for sale – deleted the for sale thread after 5 mins reading!

CountZero

I think it needs more than one faulty light to form a consensus regarding longevity. DX have a good warranty, so a replacement is just a pain, rather than a rip-off. Let’s see how others on this forum get on before getting all doom-and-gloom. I’ll be doing an evening ride this week with mine, so I’ll see how it goes.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Hi Trout, bad news indeed, but have you thought of a mod for them yet?

Lets assume…

1, The housing & led are good, but the electronics are shite
    2, The batteries are OK, but the charger is shite

Between you & smudge I’m sure you could come up with something that would cater for dying/dead DX lights that would bag you a few quid each???

trout
    Free Member

We all do need to keep this in perspective this is only one of 3 fails I have heard about from god knows how many sold .

the first was left plugged in in a bag and some how got switched on and overheated.
    the second failed after a guy tinkered with it quite a bit so may have been a factor , and this one which he can send back for a replacement.

There were a few fails for the airbike last season . and even Lupine will have failures of some kind.

yes if any of the bits fail then it can be replaced for not a lot of dosh but then again is it a standard 12 month warrenty on them or is it buyer beware what is DXs customer support like

Be good to get a dead un to have a play with but I aint buying one

smudge
    Free Member

Just put it into perspective how much you are paying for a ‘Light, Battery & Charger’
    I can’t compete with their prices either, but then again I only use high quality Li-ion cells, circuits and chargers

Besides, I now never night ride with just a single light.. good tip, put it down to experience and a tree :-T

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Trout, how about I send you a new one, you mod it to how good you think these lights can be, with new electronics & charger, then I send you my original set that you reviewed as payment?

From my point of view I get a decent light for £100, from your point of view you get a ‘swaper’ for making a sideline modifying others dead/dying/alive DX’s, that is of course unless the bits would cost a few bob.

Viable?

I’d be interested in knowing how much the internals would cost to put right.

BTW, the light doesn’t get hot unless it’s on full, but as the low setting still kills my old Lumi’s I’m happy enough, thanks for you effort putting it right.

Cheers.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Excellent work Mr Trout, may I join the others in commending you on your thorough and honest review.

I noticed this on th thread you linked to regarding the failed unit

Our club has ordered 5 of these lights. After reading these reviews, I have done some basic clean up of the lights by adding thermal compound and blasting these with compressed air to clear up any swarf. Each light has about 10 hrs total run time now. The longest ride has been about 3 hrs running 50/50 high and low. Mostly mountain biking.
    0 failures/issues to date.
    We are pleased with the light and have just ordered another 10 for other riders.

So it would appear the jury is still out
    Very tempting light at the price.

trout
    Free Member

Hell Smudge you usually take about 6 lights with you as loaners
    and Your troutlight has that lifetime warranty too 😆

trout
    Free Member

Heck Smudge you usually take about 6 lights as loaners too plus the Troutlight with lifetime warranty 😆

Martin
    not really that much to do untill one fails
    if the charger goes pop then I am sure Smudge can fit you up with a new one , same goes for the cells.
    the P7 could be replaced with a newer model about $20 ish
    same goes for the circuit the stock item is very cheap but works and a good one will add a bit of cost
    so not really worth the cost unless one fails

Billyboulders
    Yes I just seen that the guy who wrote it used to build lights for the club members and retired when this Bastid light came out

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Martin
    not really that much to do untill one fails
    if the charger goes pop then I am sure Smudge can fit you up with a new one , same goes for the cells.
    the P7 could be replaced with a newer model about $20 ish
    same goes for the circuit the stock item is very cheap but works and a good one will add a bit of cost
    so not really worth the cost unless one fails

In that case I’ll chuck it your way when it does then 😉
    Cheers.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I was out last night with my “Bastid” and on main / high beam it is superb better than my old HID

But the low beam has a bit of a potential issue in that it flashes I descovered this because as I was riding along the wheel appeared to be stationary with the stroboscopic effect, I did not like it at all and some folk who are sensative to flashing lights may have a real problem.

But 3 hrs on high will be more than enough riding time for me

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘That 50 Quid DX bike light dissed disected oh sod it. ( its not good news )’ is closed to new replies.