Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Thanks STW for making me try flats.
  • rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I posted about learning to jump about a month ago and received a tirade of ‘shorten your stem and change to flats’.
    I’ve done both and feel really comfortable jumping without spd’s now.

Cheers guys.

rickon
    Free Member

I made a similar move to flats about 6 months ago. A real revelation for me, I’m twice the rider I used to be, far more confident, drifting, hitting kickers. Pow pow pow.

There’s a general mindset that spds are an evolution from flats, when they’re just another option. And for me, a constraint to my riding.

bigdean

I’ve almost gone the oposite, learning to ride spd’s on rocky peak type terrain, learning the odd small hop and jump cliped in has been a big step from flats. But climbing the worst.

That jump looks ace, be nice to learn stuff on as landing speed is nearly zero.

scaredypants

It’s harder doing tailwhips over a road gap with spds on but other than that I find them OK

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

That jump is brilliant. Never more than a couple of feet above a big pile of bark and travelling at about 5mph. Perfect for gaining confidence and getting the woohoo I’m flying feeling.

martinxyz
    Free Member

It’s harder doing tailwhips over a road gap with spds on but other than that I find them OK

Aye, pedal to pedal tailwhip road gaps are a mare in spd’s.

honourablegeorge

Looking at the video, I’d say your progression is less to do with pedals and more to do with having an ACE place to learn

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Thanks STW for making me try flats.’ is closed to new replies.