Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Thailand Islands…
  • ben
    Free Member

Oops – wrong forum. 😳

Just booked flights to Thailand for this weekend. (We live in Singapore – not headed for a weekend from the UK!)

Flying into Phuket on Saturday morning then out of Krabi on Tuesday.

Any suggestions of which island to visit from anyone who’s been recently. We’d like to avoid the booze buckets & carnage if possible? Ko Lanta looks likely at present.

Thanks
    Ben

sefton
    Free Member

I got married in Ko yao (not much on the island but so beautiful)

Phuket was like a Benidorm I thought (not what I was expecting – good thai boxing venue though)

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Head the other side to Ko Tao. Heaven on earth!!

thebunk

A weekend in Thailand? Are you trying to start a fight with me? 😉

I went Phuket / Phi Phi / Lanta / Krabi – Lanta was definitely the quietest/nicest by a mile.

That was over 10 years ago mind…am guessing people in the know now go somewhere else…

leebaxter
    Free Member

Ko lanta the best for quietness down that way, nice walking etc. But i recomend going north to Similan or Surin, by far and away the best islands, both paradises.

SOAP
    Free Member

Ao nang/ Krabi
    I lived there for 3 months! Gateway to your own islands and beaches.

finbar
    Free Member

I’ve not been to many of them, but Ko Tao was pretty chill.

SOAP
    Free Member

Don’t you think koh Tao/Phuket/samui/pattaya has to many westerners, which make the Thais more greedy!
    There are better places to go.

Kahurangi

Head the other side to Ko Tao. Heaven on earth!!

Nice and pretty quiet until the tourist boats head round the island during the day. Have no photos as I lost that camera.

I did stay in Phuket town to avoid the Benidorm feel and took a few trips out the the deserted beaches (this was July) before moving on.

/edit

I also went to Ko Sichang (get boat from Si Racha), which wasn’t worth the trip except for the best and cheapest Tom Yung Goong ever. It was my first meal in days though.

I decided against a trip around to the deserted side of Ko Phangan as probably touristy anyway.

Ko Lanta wasn’t on out trip radar, maybe it should have been.

stumpyjon

Went canoeing through the Mangrove swamps from Krabi, even through tunnels under the limestone cliffs, will remember that for the rest of my life.

nickjb
    Free Member

We did a canoe trip too. It was really cool.

We mostly stayed on PhiPhi. There were signs up for buckets and the like but we never saw much boozing going on. I suspect we were in bed long before any revelling. We stayed in a hotel right at the end if the beach so we pretty much had the place to ourselves, but it was only a short walk for a bit of life and a few shops. It was cheap too, we heard a few horror stories about the price of food and even bottled water on some of the more remote beaches.

Kahurangi

John Gray sea kayak highly recommended 🙂 Very good food for the day too

ben
    Free Member

Cheers for all the replies, will look into your suggestions.

thebunk – Sorry. 🙂

superfli
    Free Member

Koh Tao is a lovely Island indeed! We went about 4 years ago and it was built up enough to enjoy bars and meals out, but not spoilt like the other 2 Islands south. Not sure what it is like now, but at the rate its changing, it wont be long before it cant cope with the rubbish and sewage introduced. My brother went about 15 years ago and his pics show shacks at the side of a dusty track – which were bars and tarmac by the time we went.
    Very friendly people there too.
    We stayed here
    http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/kohtao/thipwimarn/

kaiser
    Free Member

I actually liked KO SICHANG ..ok it’s not picture postcard pretty but has very few western tourists and is close to bangkok (but not want the OP wants obviously) the beaches and rocks on the other side of the island from where the boat docks are half decent .
    IMHO KO tao is getting a bit spoilt now but again worth a visit if you’re in the area. Having spent quite a while in thailand over the years it’s certainly getting hard to find a bit of paradise that has enough facilities without being too pricey ( by backpacker standards)and isn’t full of tourists ..unless of course it’s out of season.

nicko74

Koh Lanta is nice – a good mixture of quiet and not too quiet (ie you can get a good pizza but still get some peace and quiet).
    Koh Pu/ Koh Jum is good too – very very quiet, and quite off the beaten track, but with nice places to stay if you want to go upmarket.

flip
    Free Member

Been to loads of Thai, Malay and Indonesian islands, probably hundreds as there are 13000 indonesian alone.

To high and pissed to remember most of them, i spent a couple of years dossing there 😉

Seem to remember recommending you kept an eye on the Singaporian ladies 😉

Was i right?? is the Penny Black pub still there? by the CBT?

onandon
    Free Member

Phi Phi is a fantastic place, I spend a week on the island this time last year.
    stunning and only an hour away from Phuket on a speed boat

lardman
    Free Member

second what nicko74 said….

Ko Jum is a fab little island, and there’s a place called Joy Bungalows which (despite the description) is a lovely quiet place, beachside treetop cabins. Go from Krabi to Koh Lanta, and the boats stop about 1/3 way there, to transfer over to a boat to Jum island.

has to be said, it was before the Sunami that i was there. Might be worth a search to see if it’s just as unspoilt.

Phi Phi is great for a couple a’ days, but too touristy for me.
    Koh Lanta is cool, and a big place to explore.

It’s all good tho’

lardman
    Free Member

http://www.kohjum-joybungalow.com/

sh*t, now i’ve looked at that…. i wanna go back. NOW.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Thailand Islands…’ is closed to new replies.