Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Terrorist shot dead in Streatham
  • mehr
    Free Member

Looks like another lone nutter running amok with a knife and wearing a (fake) suicide vest.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Is this “death by cop” or a genuine attack with terrorist intentions?

I feel for the officer that had to shoot the bastard.

plus-one

I feel for the officer that had to shoot the bastard.

Why ? He’s saved more folk from potential death/ life threatening injury

Drac

Streatham: Man shot dead by police after stabbings in London https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51349664

Indeed Derek it must be terrible having to make that call but it can be for the right reason.

captmorgan
    Free Member

Why ? He’s saved more folk from potential death/ life threatening injury

Err perhaps because taking a human life is likely to a significant and life changing event no matter the circumstances.

Obviously there are exceptions, you know psychopaths, sociopaths and stuff…

plus-one

Err perhaps because taking a human life is likely to a significant and life changing event no matter the circumstances.

He’s a trained officer

timidwheeler

He’s a trained officer

They still have feelings..

Drac

He’s a trained officer

I’ve trained alongside them. It doesn’t work like Call of Duty.

Trimix
    Free Member

The blokes with guns are probably employed after some considerable mental testing / evaluating. I wouldn’t get all worried about them doing their job properly.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Plus one. Really, why be a total dick?

Yes a trained officer, and yes his training meant when it comes to that moment they are able to act, but that doesn’t stop them from being a feeling human being who has to deal with the repercussions

mattyfez

I don’t know from experience, but I’d think killing someone who would have obviously gone on to kill potantialy a lot more people, you can probably take some solace in that.

Drac

The blokes with guns are probably employed after some considerable mental testing / evaluating. I wouldn’t get all worried about them doing their job properly.

Indeed they are but they’re human still.

kerley
    Free Member

A lot of trained army people can’t kill when it comes down to it and they are in a position where they have too. Training does not equal no compassion for others just because they are on a different side…

plus-one

Indeed they are but they’re human still.

Indeed I’m not saying the police officer won’t have feelings. But being a trained officer knowing you’ve stopped more chaos/death I’d be feeling more upbeat than down about it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d be feeling more upbeat than down about it.

Keep your fantasies to yourself.

Drac

But being a trained officer knowing you’ve stopped more chaos/death I’d be feeling more upbeat than down about it.

Yeah you’re pretty clueless how it works. There may be some comfort in knowing it was for a good reason but feeling upbeat is not really how emotions work.

Luckily they’ll go their counselling following this to help them.

crazy-legs

Indeed I’m not saying the police officer won’t have feelings. But being a trained officer knowing you’ve stopped more chaos/death I’d be feelings more upbeat than down about it.

They get removed from firearms duty and have to go through a shedload of debriefing, counselling, re-evaluation etc against a background of media scrutiny and the usual bollocks from people who have literally no clue asking “why didn’t they just shoot to wound?” or questioning why they weren’t on scene earlier or whatever.

Not really anything to be “upbeat” about – and that’s before you even consider the fact that they’ve just taken someone’s life.

plus-one

Yeah you’re pretty clueless how it works. There may be some comfort in knowing it was for a good reason but feeling upbeat is not really how emotions work

He’s a trained police officer(anti terorrist) knowing that maybe someday he’ll have to use lethal force.

Not a snowflake

You’ll find your the clueless one !

anagallis_arvensis

I would imagine the police see shooting someone dead as them having failed in some small part somewhere. Got to feel for the guy who had to do it.

anagallis_arvensis

Not a snowflake

You’ll find your the clueless one

You sir are an idiot.

Drac

He’s a trained police officer(anti terorrist) knowing that maybe someday he’ll have to use lethal force.

Not a snowflake

You’ll find your the clueless one !

I’ll repeat for you. I’ve trained alongside them.

mattbee

Every one of them I’ve met (have done a fair bit of assisting in training with them as OPFOR amongst other things and have a few long standing friends as a result) has been the polar opposite of the sort of guy you’d think would want to be an armed policeman. There are no trigger happy, Hondo wannabes that I’ve ever met.
    They have all been sensible, serious and methodical when working and I know that if any of the guys I know had to pull the trigger on a live target they would see it as a failure of sorts, in that they had ended up at that conclusion, but they would do their job with the professionalism and vigour that they have trained for again and again and again.
    I have nothing but respect for anyone who puts themselves in that position, whereby simply doing their job not only puts them directly in harms way in the most serious way but also puts them under so much scrutiny and appraisal both from professional bodies and armchair experts.

soobalias
    Free Member

well done tardworld, best circlejerk ever.
    -1 for failing to squeeze the word artisanal in yet.

nealglover
    Free Member

But being a trained officer knowing you’ve stopped more chaos/death I’d be feeling more upbeat than down about it.

Just a wild guess…. but I doubt you have even the slightest bit of relevant experience to make that assumption ?

If you do however, and you would genuinely feel upbeat about it, don’t tell anyone in your chain of command otherwise you will probably be out of a job.

MoreCashThanDash

Wow, even by our usual standards of twattery we’ve found a new low here tonight 🤦

senorj

Alarmingly the reports now say the assailant was under police surveillance.
    Initially they stated the assailant was chased by plain clothes.
    I doubt anyone will be feeling upbeat tonight. 🙁

alexpalacefan

Yep, I wouldn’t normally comment, but that is some prize bell-endery.

Have a sit down and a think plus one.

A 🙁

MoreCashThanDash

Being under surveillance won’t stop you attacking someone unless the surveillance is REALLY up close and personal.

Though it would explain how quickly the Police stopped him before it became even more serious

plus-one

Ok I’ll simplify it further

Trained firearms officer had to use lethal force to stop terrorist injuring or killing innocent people.

He feels his actions were a negative or a positive ?

yosemitepaul

Plus One. Have you ever carried a gun, are you a trained Firearms Officer? Have you ever stood infront of anyone pointing a loaded gun at you? Do you know what it’s like.
    Perhaps you’d like to elaborate on your own experiences, I’d like to know how they compare with mine.
    I’ve had enough of STW, it’s populated by………..

pondo

Irrespective, he had to kill someone at work. Happy day or sad day?

senorj

@ morecash – I don’t doubt it.
    I’m glad they had the right person under surveillance.

kilo

Alarmingly the reports now say the assailant was under police surveillance.

Don’t know how f it’s true about surveillance but unfortunately surveillance is quite a difficult job, and interdiction is a different step. it’s difficult to know what someone has planned more so in a ct thing like this where there may be no other reporting or intercept in the build up, you just follow someone day in day out and suddenly it kicks off. This attack might not have much build up and it’s very difficult to justify armed ops if you’ve no intelligence Also a lot of surveillance officers may not be armed. It used to be (outside ct) unarmed team, unarmed team with bolt on firearms team and then mobile armed surveillance team, obviously armed assets are at a premium and scarce. No one will be happy tonight.(obviously troll features will be)

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

His actions were necessary. Negative or positive is completely irrelevant.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just stop it plus one, please.

Q. “what did you do at work today daddy?”

Is your answer

1. I had to kill someone and every time I close my eyes I replay the event and I can’t stop wondering if I could have done something different.

Or

2. I blew away some terrorist scum and saved democracy. **** Yeah!

carbonroadrat
    Free Member

Wow, even by our usual standards of twattery we’ve found a new low here tonight

This forum in general really has went way downhill. Its always been bad. Seemingly full of armchair experts and folk who just like to sit online arguing with strangers. Dont these folk have bikes to ride instead?

I rarely comment on anything at all in the chat forums. Just like to browse through for half an hour before bed every now and then. But I’m less and less inclined to even bother looking at the forum as theres just so so much pointless tat. Any meaningful threads turn into ramblings like Plus One has ruined this.

I see I’m not the only one who thinks STW is just full of arseholes.

PlusOne isn’t worth arguing with. Anyone with that kind of reasoning doesn’t have the intelligence to continue the conversation.

What a shitty forum this has turned into.

MoreCashThanDash

And yet, if a forum member genuinely needs help, we’ll rally round and do amazing things to support them.

And when the idiots get too much for me, I reread “sudocrem cat”

Northwind

I think it’s something we’re going to see more and more. When I was growing up, there were still a lot of the ww2 generation around. I grew up with my grandads both of whom saw absolute horrors, and I grew up with something like 10 less great aunts and uncles less than I should have had, these things never happened to me but it was made real for me. It’d be damn hard for me to be hawkish about war, or to say “we survived the blitz, we’ll survive brexit” (*), and damn sure I couldn’t think something as daft as “killing people who need killed should make you feel good”.

(*OK, bad example but pretty much none of the people saying that, actually remember the blitz, it’s the same thing just a generation further along)

Sadly it’s not like any of that ended with the war generation- I have mates I could have learned the same things from who served in Helmand, albeit in later life- but it’s so so different now. Fewer and fewer people will have met with that. And in the UK fewer and fewer people will be telling stories of life before the welfare state and NHS, where the generation before couldn’t ever take it for granted.

I mean, maybe I’m giving Plus One too much credit, it’s always possible he has had these things around him too and is just oblivious to it. Regardless, I think it’s pretty bizarre to think that good sides balance out bad things in your head.

grtdkad

More information coming out on bbc here:

Streatham attacker named as Sudesh Amman https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51351844

It does look like the whole sentencing / parole model has gone to sh** if he’s just been released and (1) was under such close monitoring by the police and (2) he’s injured jo public (3) he’s now dead.

This must justify a major review of the whole reform of terrorists (of whatever persuasion) guidelines.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Terrorist shot dead in Streatham’ is closed to new replies.