Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tell me how to spend my money
  • stimpy
    Free Member

I’m torn. Currently riding an alu hardtail and feeling the n+1 so…

Option 1) Buy a c456 frame for £300 and transfer groupset, brakes etc to it (x7 groupset, elixir 3 brakes, fulcrum wheels) – I’d use my existing RS Recon fork (100mm) until it dies then upgrade to around 120/130mm travel); OR

Option 2) Buy a shiny new bike on 0% finance (about £50pcm) for the next three years(!) but have shiny shiny new bike…maybe a short travel FS or even *whispers* try a 29er…

Mostly trail & XC use; South Downs, that sort of thing. Not knee-deep in gnarr.

Option 1 is clearly cheaper but option 2 so tempting…shiny shiny…help! STW tradition of recommending what you ride welcome (with pics too if you like).

z1ppy

Wisely…

[EDIT, ok I’ll play nicely]
    If you have the choice of a short term bargain you can afford (the C456 is) or a long term major purchase, I go bargain… as you never know what round the corner. Just saying.

cynic-al
    Free Member

£300 vs. £1800?

Option 1. The frame makes by far the biggest difference to the ride. The £1500 saved can be invested in hookers etc.

nickc

C456 is well regarded, and Cyn-Al speaks truth.

negotiate a price beforehand though 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

What al said re bike decision

mattjg
    Free Member

XC & South Downs – if you’ve not tried a 29er do so before deciding. A friend of mine got a 29er Inbred for a hundred quid and is putting Swift forks on it.

Whatever, avoid a 3 year finance deal, the bike will feel very old while you’re still paying for it.

stimpy
    Free Member

Thanks all for talking me out of my new bike bubble. Three years IS a bloody long time to not have paid for my bike.

Sensible spend it is, then 😆

burko73

What about the bike to work scheme if your employer does it…. Got my £1600 genesis for about £55/ month over 12 months using bike to work and combining with a reduced end of yr model through winstanleys.

stimpy
    Free Member

Am self-employed as a sole trader so I am not eligible for any bike to work scheme sadly. The Government doesn’t seem to want people like me to cycle to work 🙁

fivespot
    Free Member

Whatever you get, enjoy the ride 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tell me how to spend my money’ is closed to new replies.