Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Tell me about your Fox Float 32 fork experiences
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I keep hearing negative stuff like they’re a bit flexy, they need servicing too often blah blah blah. I know they’re dear, but are they really that bad compared to the competition? Are they easy to service? Experiences please

failedengineer

FWIW, I’ve had a set of bog-standard 32mm Floats (15mm axle) for 3 1/2 years now. Taking the sliders off for a clean takes 10 mins, oil change 20mins. Been cleaning them about 5 times per year with maybe 3 oil changes from new. They are working just like new. in fact better, because I fitted the low friction seals a couple of years ago. They get very muddy in the Dales and lakes and there’s no trace of wear on the stanchions. So there, before everyone else tells you how crap they are.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

lol thanks for that 🙂

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Mine lasted about 6 months before the left hand stantion coating was worn through. I cleaned the stantions and seals after every ride and had the lowers off twice in that period for clean and oil change.

Marzocchi all the way.

Northwind

The damping performance is very good but when they get long, they do get a bit bendy- very noticable brake flex in particular regardless of axle, and QR15 doesn’t add that much stiffness either for twistiness IMO. Feels like an XC fork stretched too far, rather than a designed-for-150mm fork.

Whether you care or not is another thing- twist doesn’t really bother me at all once i’m used to it, the braking twang can be a little intrusive at times though but I’d be able to live with it personally. But some people hate that sort of thing.

Personally I reckon Revelations are a better package in the longer sizes. So do Fox, that’s why they invented the 34 😉 But the top end Fox damping is fantastic.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

It’d be 140mm tops.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I guess it’s easy to miss the service intervals on fox forks, even if the service is easily done (not sure about FailedEngineer’s reference to the oil change though as I thought the damping cartridge was sealed and could only be done by someone like Mojo or Loco)

They are pretty flexy though if you’re heavy. I know a few people that are light and still ride pretty big stuff on them, but heavy riders will really feel that terrifyingly disconcerting wallow as you land on the front wheel and the suspension seems to act front to back, rather than up and down!

joeegg
    Free Member

I’ve had some 32’s,140mm RLC’s with a quick release for about 6 years.
    Only ever needed to change the seals and oil which is an easy job.
    They do chatter a bit,back to front movement,and if your used to 36 bolt thrus then they will feel less solid.Means on technical stuff you have to pick your way down a bit rather than bludgeoning through.In defence they are pretty light and i’ve been perfectly happy with them for the techy stuff in Southern Spain.

hambl90
    Free Member

I’ve had 3 sets over the years and not one of them has had any wear on the stantions, I did clean the stantions after every ride with silicon spray though . I’d defiantly buy some again.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’d defiantly buy some again

And given the negative publicity they tend to get, this would be an entirely accurate sentiment 😀

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve not got an awful lot to compare them to. I’ve had Maverick DUC 32s and Revelations before as well as some cheap (and crap) Manitous. I think the hire bike in Austria had Floats though, but an older/cheaper model. The DUCs were a bit too divey for my liking, so better damping definitely appeal. I didn’t feel “under-forked” when riding in Southern Spain in some pretty rocky terrain though. The Revs didn’t last long enough for me to give them a through performance review…they got nicked. I did manage to blow the seal on a rather clumsy front-heavy landing when hopping over a water bar at speed.

Northwind

stilltortoise – Member

It’d be 140mm tops.

What sort of riding- and also, how big a unit are you? When I talk about flex, probably worth pointing out I weigh 9 and a half stone and it’s still pretty noticable 😆 But then they’re occasionally getting used reasonably hard.

Put it this way- when I go from my Boxxers or my Lyriks to my 2010 Revelations, the difference is noticable but not really that intrusive- I can feel it, but don’t really care. But when i go from the Revelations to the 32s, the difference feels bigger and it’s more intrusive, it affects how I ride (I suspect in real terms it’s not actually that massive, but it just seems to go past a tipping point)

Going straight from the Lyriks to the 32s is… interesting.

That’s 150mm revs and 140mm 32s, fwiw.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’m no downhiller and I’m no big hucker, but I do get airborne from time to time and I’ll have a go at most trails. I’m 13st plus and I’m sometimes guilty of bulldozering my way downhill rather than delicately picking a smooth line. I’d happily have 34 Floats if they made a 140mm version, but they don’t.

Northwind

Then- this is opinion only but I think you’re out of the 32s comfort zone, and Revs with lots of letters in the name will make more sense. Or if you want to really smack things, shortened 36s/Lyriks, though that’s a big step.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Tell me more about shortened 36ers. I’m thinking of getting a Five and Orange currently have an offer of a free Talas 36 upgrade. Thing is I don’t want 160mm on the Five, but if I could reduce it….

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Talas is ajustable so you could just leave it at 140 then change it if you do some DH or AM.

Northwind

Current TALAS 36 is just 120-160, no mid setting. I wouldn’t. But then, I don’t like TALAS and I reckon Fives are built right for 140mm so it’d be daft to have a fork that delivers a shorter and longer option but no just right option. IMO, etc.

Float 36 can be spacered down to 140mm I’m sure but I don’t know the hows.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’d happily have 34 Floats if they made a 140mm version, but they don’t.

As with the 36, I am almost certain the 34 Float can be shortened by adding plastic spacers on the negative spring.

Your other option, which I think would be even better, would be to opt for the 140mm version of the BOS Devile. It is a far more sophisticated fork, but don’t let that put you off because it’s no more expensive and a lot less prissy about being serviced every five minutes.

There is a new UK distributor as well.

matt_outandabout

F120 RL QR15’s here – 5 years old, once a year I drop lowers off and lube/oil change. I have changed seals once.
    I can *just* see some wear on the stantion’s now.
    The QR15 is great, and really stiffens the front.
    I have never been able to get the right pressure – they either sit halfway through the travel (and so are far too soft) or never get beyond 90mm(ish) of travel. They are supple though, just ramp up too quick.
    Somehow I can get full travel and good damping with my sons 10 year old Marzocchi’s.. 😕
    Good forks, not sure I would ever buy new at the prices they charge, would likely go for some X-fusion or similar.

hh45
    Free Member

F120 RL QR15 – 2.5 yrs old, totally reliable, not serviced yet but hope to before spring time. i do clean the sliders v carefully as soon as I’ve finished and turn upside down for 10 mins to let oil re-lubricate the internals. (TF advice, I don’t think taking the mick :-)). I am quite light and don’t get airborne!

I had a pair of 2005 100 mm Fox forks and also fairly reliable although the top half had to be replaced after about 4 years. Outlasted the frame but had lost subtlety of damping after 7 years.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I like the idea of a 160mm fork reduced to 140mm for the majority of my riding, but whack it back up 160mm if, as and when I do bigger mountain stuff. Need to ask Fox or Mojo I guess

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Roll on the 34s in 140/150 mm

geetee1972
    Free Member

You can have one now. You just space it down (quick search suggests only by 10mm though)

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

If you can get the 36 as a free upgrade then it might be worth looking at. But the 36 is going to be a bit more weight to carry around, if your not into any big ruff stuff then I recon the 32 is fine for you even at 13 stone.
    Im 12 stone have had a few versions of the 32 fork including the coil sprung vanilla with a 11/5 ” steerer. They were mega on the rough descents, never felt flexy felt like they were really well damped and sprung. Currently have 140mm 32 Talas rode a lot in the lakes and scotland and again never felt short on travel or too flexy. Keep an aye on the stanchions (especially the left) if it starts to wear make sure you get the lower leg bushes changed as well as the uppers!

FWIW if i was going to go longer in travel say 150 / 160 mm I would seriously consider the 36.

Northwind

Too late to edit but all in all, that’s a crap “upgrade” they’re offering. Good value but bad fit- they say themselves minimum 140mm, optimum 140mm, then supply a fork that can do 120mm but not 140mm.

Haven’t used the latest TALAS but all the previous ones underperformed compared to the Float equivalent, is that still the case anyone? if you’re tanking around on a 160mm Five or an Alpine you’re not going to want anything that takes away from the damping and performance. Unless you are some sort of marketing man’s dream that doesn’t care how it rides, he just wants a bigger fork with more letters 😉

orangeboy
    Free Member

Have had a few pairs over the years
    Still have some 2004 pushed ones on the winter bike and still ok
    My fav ones are the 36 van r on the enduro so stiff and very plush

The foam ring unde te seals dry out and that’s what causes coating wear
    But it’s very easy to lube.
    Apart from older talas very easy to play with
    Just waiting on some 34 to try

hora
    Free Member

I found (open bath) 36 floats set at 140 brilliant. Regret selling those (went to a 170 Lyrik and hated the damping).

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Northwind I agree. I’m more than happy with a 140mm fork…or at least I thought I was before all these comments I’ve read about flexy 32s. I’m probably worrying about it too much

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about your Fox Float 32 fork experiences’ is closed to new replies.