Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tell me about wetsuits
  • 40mpg

Just started doing a bit of dinghy sailing and need a wetsuit. What sort of things should I look out for?

Is it possible to get removable arms & legs for warmer days?

Is it worth buying online or best to try one on?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It was possible to get removable arms and legs, but I haven’t seen a wetsuit like that for years, I’m sure they’re still available tho. You’re best off trying on, although you can get them so cheap 2nd hand off ebay. Essentially, there are 3 types of wetsuit, summer, steamer and drysuit. Probably look for something with thinner neprene arms/legs, thicker neoprene core body. You used to be able to get sleaveless suits (a bit like dungerees) and a front zip up jacket, haven’t seen them for a long time either tho.

xiphon
    Free Member

I have one of those removable lower arm/lower leg wetsuits. Can’t remember the brand/model of it though!

Just been used for a week surfing down in Cornwall, and I stayed quite warm enough with the detachable parts removed.

resisted
    Free Member

Are you going to be wanting to use it all year round? I’ve got a winter suit – older Rip-Curl Titanium which I used for spring time when I lived and surfed in Jersey, this has removable sleeves which was nice and was proper warm. I’d recommend getting something of decent quality as you’ll find that it might wear quicker in odd places if using it for sailing. I’ve got a summer ‘shorty’ which doesn’t get used much as I tend to find myself warm enough in summer for rash-vest and shorts. Pretty much all the surfing I’ve done is in CI and France (Atlantic) and it’s never usually particularly warm.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Stretchy neoprene. Makes a huge difference to moveability. I have a O-neill Zen winter steamer. it’s just awesome. would be way over the top for dinghy sailing as it’s bonkers warm, but look for a summer suit equivalent. For dinghy sailing I’d go for one with removable arms, if you can find one. I also have a short sleeve rip curl which is quiet old for summer use.

40mpg

Probably just for 2/3 season use (unless I really get hooked). Is a rash vest a necessity too, hadnt thought about that.

TooTall
    Free Member

You can spend as much as you want to on wetsuits. Convertable arms is a fair option, but a shortie summer wetsuit is buttons to buy – having that and something with fixed legs is a better set of options for you. See what the more experienced sailors are wearing. There is also the option of wearing something more canoe orientated – a long john wetsuit with a dry cag top – better wind protection.

resisted
    Free Member

Is a rash vest a necessity too, hadnt thought about that

Yes. They’re cheap as chips and I wouldn’t wear a wetsuit without one. I used a cheapo pair of lycra shorts bought from Decathlon too as my tree trunks used to cause me terrible chaffing :s

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Trident did removable arm/leg suits.

Always wear shorts over it though, the non slip surface on dingy decks is like sandpaper, £3 denim/cotton primark shorts and bin them after a few uses.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

fit is important as it needs to cling to you so that your body is oin constant contact with the suit to stop water moving round, so try on is a must.
    i use trek mates sports tops from tk maxx as rashies, fine

There is also the option of wearing something more canoe orientated – a long john wetsuit with a dry cag top – better wind protection.

+1, a wet suit offers hee-haw wind protection

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about wetsuits’ is closed to new replies.