Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tell me about suspension…
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Ignoring difference between air and coil or different brands – what is the general rules for setting up suspension on a Full-sus?

I’ve set mine up and left it but from discussing it with some guys on a recent uplift day and then getting some tips from other riders it seems there is a lot of conflicting information out there.

Are there any common rules for getting the best from suspension?

Junkyard
    Free Member

no because we all like different settings soem mates ride it soft. Some ride it hard, some like fast rebound, some alter it for the terrain

Play around with it by adjusting stuff on a known local short downhill loop aand set it how you like

I dont like it very soft personally so rarely if ever get full travel

Northwind

Fanny about with it til it feels good.

I like it soft – 25-30% sag and bottom out every now and then.

It baffles me when I see my mates on 6″ travel bikes with really high pressures. Doesn’t compute with me.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’ve always run it with slower rebound on the back and the compression set right for my weight – although when speaking to a guy he was saying set the compression so it doesn’t compress when hitting the face of a jump. Then was told to run the rebound as fast as possible.

Anyone heard this?

plyphon
    Free Member

I like it soft with around 25-30% sag with a fast rebound. Don’t bottom out much as I’m a light rider.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Soft with just slow of middle rebound here. though since popping the floodgate out of my lyriks I feel the need to tweak the rear end in an effort to match the loveliness up front.

buck53

Don’t think there’s a hard and fast rule as it depends what characteristics you want to emphasise.

Personally I currently run my shock with slightly less sag than suggested as I climb a lot and want a good peddling platform. Forks run at slightly lower than recommended as they tend to struggle to hit last quarter or so of travel at the recommended pressure and fastest rebound for plenty of pop on the trail.That can make them harsh on very rough stony ground though.

LoCo
    Free Member

Basic setup guide: http://locotuning.co.uk/tech-info.html 😀

mrplow
    Free Member

After very basic sag setup i tend to tune suspension on feedback alone. I quick setup on the road/kerb test but this is always changed out on the trail. Ride the bike and think about the way it is reacting to the type of riding you do. Find the things you don’t like and work out how to tune these out of the setup.

An intersting one is a bike that bucks you. Most people go straight to slow rebound tuning when the initial problem may be too little spring or compression damping.

If you want to get the most out of it you have to put the time in. A third party comment regarding tuning amy be pretty useless most of the time.

nigelb001
    Free Member

…..then getting some tips from other riders it seems there is a lot of conflicting information out there.

and you’re expecting something different on here? 😉

prawny

I run my rear very soft for xc, mainly to slacken the HA a bit, I think I bought the wrong bike 😳

Bushwacked
    Free Member

nigelb001 – and you’re expecting something different on here?

True, what was I thinking… 🙄

Loco – Cheers.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about suspension…’ is closed to new replies.