Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tell me about sound, surround sound and what speakers and stuff I need
  • ChrisE
    Free Member

I have a Sonos Zoneplayer ZP100. It’s in one room playing stuff from Napster and the like.

What speakers do I need, what’s the best configuration (number) of speakers I can connect up just using fairly cheap speakers and what so I need. I only want small ones I can ‘hide’ in the room.

What does all that 3.0, 5.1 and all that stuff mean?

C

CountZero

3.0 means left/right and centre, 5.1 means front left/right/centre/ rear left/right and sub, 7.1 is front l/r/c rear l/r/ side l/r and sub.
    Don’t know about speaker setup for a Sonos, I would expect it just drives stereo pairs, but I will happily be corrected on this.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

For music I think stereo setup is best. I’ve looked at the ZP100 and you can have several setups.

But if it is for music then I would go 2.0 either Mission MX1 speakers or Boston Acoustic A25s.

footflaps

Most music is only available in Stereo format. All the Dobly 5.1 stuff is pretty much films only. We just put the output of our iMac (head phone socket) through a Marantz PM6004 Amp and a pair of Mordount Short speakers and it’s sounds fantastic playing music or watching films.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Are there some cheap speakers (say £30 a pair) that are good and small (say no more than 6″ cubic)?

C

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I think a pair of Boston Acoustic Soundware satellites would meet the size requirement and are very highly rated in a surround sound setup. Hopefully they will be ok in stereo though they might be lacking in the lows not sure how much they would cost but I doubt they are that expensive.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about sound, surround sound and what speakers and stuff I need’ is closed to new replies.